Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: DeviousDawg's vision for Davis Wade Stadium's South EZ expansion/hotel...

vCash
    So I guess they will be building something like another version of the scoreboard lounge with a seating area above it for the M-Club people.

Not a completely terrible idea. One thing it would definitely help with us getting into the stadium because a large open walking area like that would be a massive and logical front entrance to enter. It would also help if they didn't strip search every fan trying to enter too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg View Post
    Unforturnately I put this together just before Steve said the idea's dead. Thought it ended up pretty good.

I love it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. That's a loud awesome stadium right there

Brutal that the idea is dead. Seems like we just don't want to have a great stadium.

Last ones to have alcohol
    Last ones to announce the school plans to play football in the Fall
    Last ones to bowl in the stadium

Always last. Hopefully when the COVID thingy passes & Leach gets the energy going again, someone will step up & make this happen
    You forgot to mention McKinnley Jackson. ***

vCash
    Not doing the hotel just shows how poor our leadership is. There is obviously a need and having the lofts has shown they'll sell. We have a university full of students that could work and get experience to put on their resume. If we're that scared just copy exactly what LSU has done. It's a long way off no matter how you look at it. Saying now that it's out of the picture just shows how much of a change is needed at the top. I know that I hate on Strickland a good bit of the time but I would put money on it that he'd have found a way to make it work.

vCash
    And as someone mentioned we could just get a hotel brand to run it if we didn't want to. Could you imagine the bidding war they would get in to in order to have a hotel that is a part of a SEC football teams field? If we did it ourselves, this would be the time to reach out to our NFL alumni to donate. LSU had the "shack suit" in theirs. Hopefully there people at the top will start getting pressured to do this.
    I'm still just amazed at how well the lofts have turned out and they don't want to do something like this. Maybe it was because not enough people liked the design and they took it as they didn't like the concept and trashed the whole idea instead of redesigning it. It seems everyone thinks wherever is done on the south should connect to both the east and west side. I think that was the biggest reason the design they put out was so unpopular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    And as someone mentioned we could just get a hotel brand to run it if we didn't want to. Could you imagine the bidding war they would get in to in order to have a hotel that is a part of a SEC football teams field? If we did it ourselves, this would be the time to reach out to our NFL alumni to donate. LSU had the "shack suit" in theirs. Hopefully there people at the top will start getting pressured to do this.
    I'm still just amazed at how well the lofts have turned out and they don't want to do something like this. Maybe it was because not enough people liked the design and they took it as they didn't like the concept and trashed the whole idea instead of redesigning it. It seems everyone thinks wherever is done on the south should connect to both the east and west side. I think that was the biggest reason the design they put out was so unpopular.
    I wonder if it was an MSU decision or an IHL feedback decision. Y'all know we can't do projects like this without IHL blessing, and I can see a project like this ruffling OM aligned feathers. The Dude and the North Endzone expansion have put our facilities so far past OM that I could totally see them working to stop something like this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I wonder if it was an MSU decision or an IHL feedback decision. Y'all know we can't do projects like this without IHL blessing, and I can see a project like this ruffling OM aligned feathers. The Dude and the North Endzone expansion have put our facilities so far past OM that I could totally see them working to stop something like this.
    If so we need to make sure Leach is aware and tell him to give Twitter ****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Not doing the hotel just shows how poor our leadership is. There is obviously a need and having the lofts has shown they'll sell. We have a university full of students that could work and get experience to put on their resume. If we're that scared just copy exactly what LSU has done. It's a long way off no matter how you look at it. Saying now that it's out of the picture just shows how much of a change is needed at the top. I know that I hate on Strickland a good bit of the time but I would put money on it that he'd have found a way to make it work.
    The thing about having a hotel chain like Marriott or Hilton run it is MSU would have to outsource it some I'm sure which would mean fewer profits for MSU. I know that LT didn't want to do the Junction because he thought that MSU wouldn't get all the profits from it.

I'll say this- I do want to see what their other plans are before I criticize anything. The issue here is I don't think our attendance is going to grow just a ton and at the same time we do need to enclose the stadium.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The thing about having a hotel chain like Marriott or Hilton run it is MSU would have to outsource it some I'm sure which would mean fewer profits for MSU. I know that LT didn't want to do the Junction because he thought that MSU wouldn't get all the profits from it.

I'll say this- I do want to see what their other plans are before I criticize anything. The issue here is I don't think our attendance is going to grow just a ton and at the same time we do need to enclose the stadium.
    This is why you drop $6,000,000(give or take a couple mil) on installing chair backs throughout the entire stadium, which would bring our current stadiums capacity down to ~54,000. This allows you to expand/bowl-in the stadium, without actually expanding the capacity, and most likely, decreasing the capacity(which I believe is necessary with today’s changing college football landscape, where you are seeing steady decreases in attendance across the country) while also improving the aesthetics, perception and comfortability of the entire stadium.

Imo, step #1 is chairbacking the entire stadium, regardless of what the plan is for the South EZ. You will start seeing this happen across college football, we might as well be trend setters.

vCash
    I don't have the time to do graphic design and I will b/c that's my profession, but here's my idea....

to the left of the endzone area, we create a really nice grand entrance from the Junction - trees on both sides of the walkway....in the middle and to the right we create an amazing glass wall type structure with our football logo at the top and it would be something honoring our quote "tradition" lol - whatever it is just make it a nice entrance into an area that honors football.....you walk to the top of the building, from both sides, to a huge balcony which would overlook the the Junction - a huge premium area to tailgate and look down to the DawgWalk.

Have a restaurant at the top and then that would on the field side, open up to seating on the goal line, and then then premium seating at the top. Think Tampa Bay stadium endzone area. Something like that. We don't have to do a hotel, but we need something unique where TV remotes could be overlooking College GameDay set that was in the Junction. If you could get in there, eat, drink and overlook the crazyiness, I think it would be a good idea.

Again having a really neat landscaping entrance like the Dude, would be cool and it would look good on TV in my opinion.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg View Post
    This is why you drop $6,000,000(give or take a couple mil) on installing chair backs throughout the entire stadium, which would bring our current stadiums capacity down to ~54,000. This allows you to expand/bowl-in the stadium, without actually expanding the capacity, and most likely, decreasing the capacity(which I believe is necessary with today’s changing college football landscape, where you are seeing steady decreases in attendance across the country) while also improving the aesthetics, perception and comfortability of the entire stadium.

Imo, step #1 is chairbacking the entire stadium, regardless of what the plan is for the South EZ. You will start seeing this happen across college football, we might as well be trend setters.
    That is a really good idea. We could then build an 8-9K seating area in the South end zone with some kind of suites above dedicated to the M-Club members for them to use.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    I don't have the time to do graphic design and I will b/c that's my profession, but here's my idea....

to the left of the endzone area, we create a really nice grand entrance from the Junction - trees on both sides of the walkway....in the middle and to the right we create an amazing glass wall type structure with our football logo at the top and it would be something honoring our quote "tradition" lol - whatever it is just make it a nice entrance into an area that honors football.....you walk to the top of the building, from both sides, to a huge balcony which would overlook the the Junction - a huge premium area to tailgate and look down to the DawgWalk.

Have a restaurant at the top and then that would on the field side, open up to seating on the goal line, and then then premium seating at the top. Think Tampa Bay stadium endzone area. Something like that. We don't have to do a hotel, but we need something unique where TV remotes could be overlooking College GameDay set that was in the Junction. If you could get in there, eat, drink and overlook the crazyiness, I think it would be a good idea.

Again having a really neat landscaping entrance like the Dude, would be cool and it would look good on TV in my opinion.
    I think that's a good idea too- but I do wonder what we could put there that would look and make sense. Tampa Bay and the pirate ships make sense. I don't know that a giant doghouse or houses surrounded by giant cowbells would look that great really? I can't really think of anything theme wise that would make sense.

Maybe something that honored our past greats that are in the Ring of Honor? I think it would be nice if we had some type of memorial dedicated to MSU players that passed away while they were on the football team too- for Rodney Stowers, Keefer, Earnest Garner, Nick Bell, and Keith Joseph, Jr.

vCash
    I think you chairback everything starting on the lower west side and then lower east side. Upper East then upper west.

I like the idea of the hotel and putting a rooftop club on it similar to the lounge loft rooftop area. Mix of a standing room only and lounge, maybe making it a double or triple treat thing. One ticket let?s you into scoreboard club gridiron club and or rooftop club.

vCash
    Yes #1 chairbacks the stadium. #2 build the lofts that connect the east and west side with chairbacks below and use the top like the lofts are used now plus whatever. (it would be one big loft like the picture above)
    I agree, first we need to chairback the stadium but we are never first at anything. More like last to do anything that's a good idea

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yes, yes, yes. That's a loud awesome stadium right there

Brutal that the idea is dead. Seems like we just don't want to have a great stadium.

Last ones to have alcohol
    Last ones to announce the school plans to play football in the Fall
    Last ones to bowl in the stadium

Always last. Hopefully when the COVID thingy passes & Leach gets the energy going again, someone will step up & make this happen
    Cohen cant even execute a smooth MSU Gameday.,.. what do you expect

vCash
    I'd almost rather us do nothing about the south EZ than have our people feel pressured to make an underwhelming decision.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I'd almost rather us do nothing about the south EZ than have our people feel pressured to make an underwhelming decision.
    I second this

vCash
    I think its has already been looked at with chairbacking the entire lower end of the stadium and has been decided as not being feasible and very costly.... I think it has to do with the way the lower bowl was built and its age it would take a complete overhaul to the lower bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Choctaw Dawg View Post
    I think its has already been looked at with chairbacking the entire lower end of the stadium and has been decided as not being feasible and very costly.... I think it has to do with the way the lower bowl was built and its age it would take a complete overhaul to the lower bowl.
    If only we knew of an engineering school somewhere that could work on this problem. Also, Kentucky did their whole stadium. They just did a few sections at a time. We can and should use the same approach to get this done, but that would take vision and planning so that idea is out the window.

vCash
    Hey TAMU redid an entire side of the stadium in one off season. I know they got way more money than we do but our stadium rehab would be much smaller scale.