Thread: Keondre Montgomery

vCash

Keondre Montgomery

Keondre Montgomery to Miss. State

28.1 points, 8.5 rebounds, 4 assists, 2 steals, 2 blocks per game this past season at Forest Hill High School in Mississippi.

Coach Howland and staff are doing a really good job of bringing in the athletes that they need moving forward. Another huge pickup the men's basketball program.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-05-2020 at 03:47 PM.

vCash
    Was expected but what is Howland going to do with all those 6'6" guys?

vCash
    Can he play next season?

vCash
    He is a high schooler, so he can play next year.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    The way the game is going having a ton of 6'6" - 6'8" guys isn't a bad thing. College is moving to more position less ball like the NBA.

vCash
    Flank them around Deivon Smith and Iverson..similar to how Smith's teammates were used around him at Grayson HS. Strong transition game...heavy on wing types is ideal. Athletic, scoring wings like Montgomery should flourish. Tolu Smith is a power forward transfer from W. Kentucky...eligible after sitting out. Center Abdul Ado status pending (declared NBA...no reported agent). Also, have 7 feet Quinten Post.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-06-2020 at 08:40 PM.

vCash
    We really only need 3 maybe 4 skilled true big men and we will be ok with the long athletic 6'6 to 6'8 guys. If you look at last year we had four eligible players 6'10 or better. Our first 3 losses were to Louisiana Tech (22-8), Villanova (24-7) and NMSU (25-6), collectively those 3 teams only had 2 players listed at 6'10 and those came from Tech and NMSU, Nova's tallest guys were "listed" as 6'9.. I could pull up more examples but I dont have time to research. Those 3 teams all were probably going dancing. It's a new game, the slow big back to the basket guys are fading. You have to be skilled as a big or those long shorter guys will destroy you. We lost to alot of these type teams the past few years.

I still want to get one more skilled big and another ball handler and we may look pretty good next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    We really only need 3 maybe 4 skilled true big men and we will be ok with the long athletic 6'6 to 6'8 guys. If you look at last year we had four eligible players 6'10 or better. Our first 3 losses were to Louisiana Tech (22-8), Villanova (24-7) and NMSU (25-6), collectively those 3 teams only had 2 players listed at 6'10 and those came from Tech and NMSU, Nova's tallest guys were "listed" as 6'9.. I could pull up more examples but I dont have time to research. Those 3 teams all were probably going dancing. It's a new game, the slow big back to the basket guys are fading. You have to be skilled as a big or those long shorter guys will destroy you. We lost to alot of these type teams the past few years.

I still want to get one more skilled big and another ball handler and we may look pretty good next year.
    I agree, but probably worth noting it can go both ways... we beat ark twice bc they couldn't match our size

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I agree, but probably worth noting it can go both ways... we beat ark twice bc they couldn't match our size
    That's a bit different. They're entire starting lineup was 6'6" or under. We're not looking to go that small. They had a guy smaller than Woodard playing center.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Im not suggesting that having traditional bigs is a curse. Every game is different and matchups do matter, my only point is that you can compete and win alot of games, even championships with those long, rangy athletic 6'6 to 6'9 guys. Just look at the last few National Champions over the last 5 to 10 years, there isnt alot of noticeable traditional big men on many of the rosters and the ones who were there were skilled, it's a difference the skilled bigs who can step out and shoot the 15 footer or 3 pointer, can pass etc are a commodity. That being said I still want to go get another big, preferably a grad transfer.

vCash
    You play matchups and you exploit weaknesses.
    If RW comes back this team is going to be super athletic.. and even without RW I like what CBH and his staff are doing.. a still don’t count out getting another late grad transfer or transfer..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    The way the game is going having a ton of 6'6" - 6'8" guys isn't a bad thing. College is moving to more position less ball like the NBA.
    What's the story on this kid, Montgomery?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    What's the story on this kid, Montgomery?
    If his head is on straight it's a great get. Talent never been an issue. Low risk potential huge return. He can score on every level & he doesn't mind playing defense. Good size at the 2 like DJ.

vCash
    Appears very underrated, especially scoring over 28 points per game in Mississippi 5A basketball....hard to stop in AAU competition shown online as well. Looks impressive in the videos.

Similar athlete to former Jackson Murrah standouts Ronnie Henderson and Jesse Pate. In addition to being ultra-athletic, Henderson had a really smooth game, and put points up in bunches..
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-06-2020 at 08:42 PM.

vCash
    Funny some said the same thing about Michael Jordan and 6'6" guys. He did alright.

vCash
    Form 4 star to 3 star overnight lol

vCash
    I saw that too, how do you lose a star and no games have been being played recently?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I saw that too, how do you lose a star and no games have been being played recently?
    Was he a 247 4 star or a composite 4 star or both?

Always have to take basketball rankings with a grain of salt other than the top guys. Not much money in it for the sites so they don't devote a lot of resources to scouting.

vCash
    Both the kids from Miss have a big upside.. Lets see how they adapted to college.. if they do then 2 really good and underrated gets..

vCash
    Some students I know who play basketball are really high on Cam Matthews. A lot of times I’ve heard them say, “Oh they ain’t that good.” But for him they said he was legit.