Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

Thread: 3 major sports, GOAT.......

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Huh? Please explain...
    Joe's my guy. I can't argue with Brady as GOAT tho (if that miraculous SB comeback is legit). I can step back and take my Barry Bonds glasses off *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Lol what? Chipper Jones didn't use steroids.
    I'm not saying he did or he didn't. That information is not known. Realize that YOU DO NOT KNOW

I just find it hilarious that Bonds & Clemens have been crucified when a good portion of the league was doing the exact same thing but face no consequences.

Jeff Bagwell is an obvious steroid user yet waltzes into the HOF & Raffy didn't look like a steroid user at all.

My point being, we don't know. We simply don't know yet two of the best players of all time are singled out
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Most accomplished football player? Brady
    Best football player? Jerry Rice

Most accomplished baseball player? Ruth and Bonds
    Best baseball player? Bonds, but if you remove him for roids, then Ruth or Ted Williams

Most accomplished basketball player? A bunch - Abdul-Jabbar, Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Magic
    Best basketball player? Jordan

vCash
    How are Brady & Montana a push?
    To me they are equal in talent, difference is Brady played for one Coach which is huge, Joe played under 3 I think but was considered great in his day. Brady has had an awesome career and not being injured much is amazing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Most accomplished football player? Brady
    Best football player? Jerry Rice

Most accomplished baseball player? Ruth and Bonds
    Best baseball player? Bonds, but if you remove him for roids, then Ruth or Ted Williams

Most accomplished basketball player? A bunch - Abdul-Jabbar, Jordan, Wilt, Russell, Magic
    Best basketball player? Jordan
    I can dig this.

Good way of splitting them up to make more sense

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    To me they are equal in talent, difference is Brady played for one Coach which is huge, Joe played under 3 I think but was considered great in his day. Brady has had an awesome career and not being injured much is amazing.
    One has 6 Super Bowls & the other has 4.

One had the best WR of all time for the duration of his career & one has had semi-garbage at WR for the better half of his career

vCash
    How do you know? Did you see Ruth play?

If not, then you?re just going off what someone told you rather than your own opinion

Ruth was the best of his era but it takes about 5 seconds of comparing the two on YouTube videos to realize that Barry was way way way more talented.

Production was basically a wash
    This is where people get unnecessarily stuck when talking about this.

You can't compare athletes currently to athletes 100 years ago. If Bonds were around in 1920, or if Ruth were around today, that difference would be mostly eliminated. LOL if you think Ruth wasn't absurdly athletic and talented. We see a guy with some fat on him who didn't run real fast when trotting around the bases, but the guy was an elite pitcher and then the greatest hitter of all-time and completely changed the game single-handedly. He didn't do that because he was big, or because he swung a big bat.

He did that because he was a phenomenal athlete, had fantastic hand-eye coordination, pitch recognition, fluidity, etc. He was an amazing athlete.

You have to compare athletes to the era in which they played. Before roids, Ruth was better compared to his era. Once he was roided out, Bonds was roughly equal to Ruth, at best. Therefore, I'm saying Ruth had the better career.

vCash
    Minor correction ... Joe can do everything Brady can do but he could also run. However, he could also find his 4th or 5th option that's why he didn't run as much as Stevie boy did following him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Lol what? Chipper Jones didn't use steroids. You can't prove that he did just like I can't prove that he didn't. But I can look at the trajectory of his health and production, and Chipper started breaking down
    during the same years Bonds and other steroid users kept rolling.

You're on this hill, and you're literally the only one.
    He likes being on that hill alone lol

vCash

One had the best WR of all time for the duration of his career & one has had semi-garbage at WR for the better half of his career
    I wouldn't call receivers at New England garbage, need to check again.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Minor correction ... Joe can do everything Brady can do but he could also run. However, he could also find his 4th or 5th option that's why he didn't run as much as Stevie boy did following him.
    Yes, Joe was very smart and it showed with how he could read defenses. I'd be happy with either is my point.

vCash

Won't argue with most of that but he only had Rice for 5 of his playing years.

ETA: Gun ... I enjoy giving you a hard time cause you make it so easy haha.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 05-05-2020 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Joe Montana to me is the better player and quarterback. Tom Brady has had the better career. Or accomplished as Smootness said.

It's like Ruth and Bonds. You have to take the era that they played in to account. If Montana plays in this era where he could play into his 40's I think he would have numbers similar or better than Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc. (Note when all of the last four played)

I think Montana is different as a QB than Brady. Brady is a classic drop back passer. Montana really excelled on the run- and that's what I like about him and the difference to me and why I pick him. Montana was a threat to run and he was also deadly as a passer on the run. Look at his signature play- the Catch. Montana changed the game as a QB in a way similar to Ruth. He was one of the first more dual threat-ish QB's in an era where guys like Terry Bradshaw was the template. The 49ers offensive scheme and how they used their personnel was a major change in football that changed the game forever.

Also- if I need to make a comeback or have to pick one guy to win a Super Bowl- I'm picking Montana all day. He didn't win as many as Brady- but when he did play he was basically perfect. Joe Montana changed what NFL coaches were looking for in QB's. I don't think Brady changed the game like that. What's the difference between Brady, Manning, and Brees skill set wise?

vCash

Randy Moss and Gronk are garbage? Brady probably has the best TE/H-Back in NFL history to throw to. What happened to Brady last year after Gronk retired?

Montana's first two Super Bowl were with Dwight Clark, Freddie Soloman, and Renaldo Nehemiah as his WR's. In 1984 the 49ers top receiver was a running back when they won the Super Bowl.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    This is where people get unnecessarily stuck when talking about this.

You can't compare athletes currently to athletes 100 years ago. If Bonds were around in 1920, or if Ruth were around today, that difference would be mostly eliminated. LOL if you think Ruth wasn't absurdly athletic and talented. We see a guy with some fat on him who didn't run real fast when trotting around the bases, but the guy was an elite pitcher and then the greatest hitter of all-time and completely changed the game single-handedly. He didn't do that because he was big, or because he swung a big bat.

He did that because he was a phenomenal athlete, had fantastic hand-eye coordination, pitch recognition, fluidity, etc. He was an amazing athlete.

You have to compare athletes to the era in which they played. Before roids, Ruth was better compared to his era. Once he was roided out, Bonds was roughly equal to Ruth, at best. Therefore, I'm saying Ruth had the better career.
    Exactly. If Ruth played in the 1990's he would have looked like Mark McGwire and been on roids. McGwire may have looked like Ruth if he played in the 20's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Exactly. If Ruth played in the 1990's he would have looked like Mark McGwire and been on roids. McGwire may have looked like Ruth if he played in the 20's.
    I look like Ruth right now does that count for anything lol!

vCash
    Yes, Joe was very smart and it showed with how he could read defenses. I'd be happy with either is my point.
    The thing I can't get over was how calm he was AT ALL TIMES. His poise and confidence were off the charts.

In addition to what you just said. How many people are looking for celebrities in the crowd before the game winning drive of a Super Bowl when you are down in the last minutes? Oh hey- look! Is that John Candy. Cool!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I look like Ruth right now does that count for anything lol!
    Yeah! If you can hit a baseball 500 feet.

vCash
    I'm not saying he did or he didn't. That information is not known. Realize that YOU DO NOT KNOW

I just find it hilarious that Bonds & Clemens have been crucified when a good portion of the league was doing the exact same thing but face no consequences.

Jeff Bagwell is an obvious steroid user yet waltzes into the HOF & Raffy didn't look like a steroid user at all.

My point being, we don't know. We simply don't know yet two of the best players of all time are singled out
    I honestly think a lot of players didn't know they were taking steroids sometimes. I'm sure they were just doing what their personal trainer was telling them to do in some cases and just thought it was a supplement or something.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Randy Moss and Gronk are garbage? Brady probably has the best TE/H-Back in NFL history to throw to. What happened to Brady last year after Gronk retired?

Montana's first two Super Bowl were with Dwight Clark, Freddie Soloman, and Renaldo Nehemiah as his WR's. In 1984 the 49ers top receiver was a running back when they won the Super Bowl.
    I like both Brady and Joe, 1A and 1B to me. In fairness to Brady he won his first 3 Super Bowls with midgets at wr. Troy Brown, Deion Branch, David Patten etc and not much in explosive rbs either. Both are legends .