Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 3 major sports, GOAT.......

vCash

3 major sports, GOAT.......

Got to thinking about who I thought are the GOATS for MLB, NFL and NBA. Here are mine:

NBA/MJ

MLB/Babe Ruth although we never saw him play.

NFL/Jim Brown. This is the toughest one for me, but watching him on replays, he was just incredible. I saw an interview with him once, he stated when he was tackled he would get up slow, mainly because he didn't want the other team know he was hurt or tired.

Jim Brown and MJ retired in their prime.

vCash
    I'll go with players that I actually saw play, since that's the only way to really do it.

NBA - Jordan

MLB - Bonds

NFL - Brady
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-05-2020 at 08:59 AM.

vCash
    Mike
    Tom
    Babe

vCash
    Bonds is better than the Babe
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    If I were to list people I saw play, I may be able to get it down to 3-5 in each sport
    NBA - Jordan, Kobe, James
    MLB hitters - Bonds, McGuire, Pujols, Ken Griffey Jr.
    MLB Pitchers - Maddox, Clemmons, Kerry Wood (prior to injury), Randy Johnson
    NFL - Brady, Montana, Marino, Adrian Peterson

One of my favorite players to watch was Ichiro. Dude flat out did everything well and played about as hard as someone could. He just wasn't the absolute best at any one thing.
    Bonds, although he was a blatant cheaters, hit a shit ton of hrs with taking around 40% intentional walks. Absolute crazy HR/AB numbers. He could have had around 90 that season if they pitched to him.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Agreed, and he played during a time where pitchers were soooooo much better. So specialized. Enhanced analytics and all.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    MJ
    Brady
    I guess I'm going with Ruth since he was not only a great hitter but a pretty dang good pitcher early on too and he also changed the game. Baseball is a tough one for me because there have been so many greats. I believe Mantle was the most talented ever and had he taken better care of himself would've put up some insane numbers. Willie Mays, Aaron as well as some other it's a tough call. Trout is still young. Like I said it's a tough call and extremely open to opinion.

vCash
    I think MJ for the NBA and Brady for the NFL are pretty easy.

You can make the argument for several players in MLB but I'm gonna go with Hank Aaron

vCash
    Holy shit

vCash
    Jordan, Jim brown, and baseball is tough for me...granted I didn’t see them play but mantle and mays have got to be two of the best all around baseball talents ever.

vCash
    You're delirious ... not even close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    You're delirious ... not even close.
    How do you know? Did you see Ruth play?

If not, then you’re just going off what someone told you rather than your own opinion

Ruth was the best of his era but it takes about 5 seconds of comparing the two on YouTube videos to realize that Barry was way way way more talented.

Production was basically a wash
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-05-2020 at 10:18 AM.

vCash

If not, then you’re just going off what someone told rather than your own opinion

Ruth was the best of his era but it takes about 5 seconds of comparing the two on YouTube videos to realize that Barry was way way way more talented.
    Look at his stats ... hitting and pitching. World Series too (won 3 with Boston). And he didn't roid up and work out like a madman. He ate hot dogs, drank beer and chased women all night. Bonds ain't as good as Chipper if he don't roid up.

vCash
    Bonds ain't as good as Chipper if he don't roid up.
    This is a ridiculous comment. Secondly, how do you know Chipper didn’t Roids up?

You don’t think Ruth used amphetamines and went to the furthest extent to take advantage of legal rules during his day?

How do you know he just chased women and drank beer?

How do you know he didn’t throw 85 mph on the mound? Could Bonds have pitched in Ruth’s era?

Who is the best baseball player your EYES have ever seen?
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-05-2020 at 10:24 AM.

vCash

If not, then you’re just going off what someone told you rather than your own opinion

Production was basically a wash
    Yes but what are you basing GOAT status on? Production or talent? Becuase Tom Brady sure isn't the most talented football player that ever lived, but he is the most productive and succesful. MJ is both talented and productive.So there could be categories of GOAT, most talented or most productive. Based on production AND success Babe would top Bonds i.e. world titles, stats, fact babe was a successful pitcher. Talent wise Bonds would get the nod, so what are you basing it on, talent or production?

ETA and this is the reason baseball gets these type responses more than any other sport and I love that about the game.

vCash
    This is a ridiculous comment. Secondly, how do you know Chipper didn’t Roids up?

You don’t think Ruth used amphetamines and went to the furthest extent to take advantage of legal rules during his day?

How do you know he just chased women and drank beer?

How do you know he didn’t throw 85 mph on the mound? Could Bonds have pitched in Ruth’s era?

Who is the best baseball player your EYES have ever seen?
    Cause if he had he would've been better than Bonds. If Bonds doesn't roid up later in his career, his and Chipper stats would be pretty close and Chipper still has him on lifetime BA.

ETA: The best baseball player my eyes have ever seen ... probably Griffey Jr for pure talent. Longevity + talent probably Hank Aaron.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 05-05-2020 at 10:39 AM.

vCash
    Ruth has a 20 WAR lead on Bonds all time. However, exactly 20 of Ruth’s WAR came as a pitcher, thus making their offensive WAR exactly the same.

To separate them, your going to have to use more than stats and hopefully this discussion is actually a little deeper than stats since they don’t tell the entire story.

vCash
    Cause if he had he would've been better than Bonds. If Bonds doesn't roid up later in his career, his and Chipper stats would be pretty close and Chipper still has him on lifetime BA.
    But how do you know Chipper didn’t use Roids?

vCash
    An argument could also be made that based on just sheer talent that Mays and Mantle were Bonds equivalent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Yes but what are you basing GOAT status on? Production or talent? Becuase Tom Brady sure isn't the most talented football player that ever lived, but he is the most productive and succesful. MJ is both talented and productive.So there could be categories of GOAT, most talented or most productive. Based on production AND success Babe would top Bonds i.e. world titles, stats, fact babe was a successful pitcher. Talent wise Bonds would get the nod, so what are you basing it on, talent or production?

ETA and this is the reason baseball gets these type responses more than any other sport and I love that about the game.
    A reasonable combination of stats and talent.

Stats matter greatly until the stats are so reasonably close that you just take the more talented player.