Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Last Dance inspired me to make my Dream Team

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I disagree. The committee wanted a college player. And Laettner is a HOF player. He was inducted into the college basketball Hall of Fame. Remember, we are talking about a collegian, not a pro. Certainly we can question why the committee didn't just use all professional players.

The real factor came down to Laettner's willingness to play whenever and wherever his country asked him to, while Shaq would not. Imagine for a moment you were going to dig a backyard swimming pool with a shovel in July in Mississippi. Every weekend you call your friends Shaq and Christian to come over and help. Every weekend Christian shows up and digs all day in the 98-degree heat, while Shaq always has an excuse as to why he can't come. When the pool is finally finished and you have two hot blondes with bikinis coming over to swim, who deserves to get the invite to swim with you and the ladies? Is it your friend Christian or your friend Shaq?

At the time, even though I disagreed, I can understand the argument.

Now in 2020, knowing one would be an NBA HOF player, and the other would make the all star game one time. It's dumb to include Lattner.

Also, your timeline is messed up.

Shaq is 3 years younger than Lattner. Shaq was 15 when Lattner played in the 1987 Goodwill games and 17 during the Pan Am Games.

To use your analogy, Lattner is a 18 year old who is the best pool digger in Noxubee County. Shaq is 15 but would go on to be the one of best pool builder ever.

To go further, you are arguing for a house designed by Jeff Seabold, and I'm saying I got the Unity Chapel.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    At the time, even though I disagreed, I can understand the argument.

Now in 2020, knowing one would be an NBA HOF player, and the other would make the all star game one time. It's dumb to include Lattner.

Also, your timeline is messed up.

Shaq is 3 years younger than Lattner. Shaq was 15 when Lattner played in the 1987 Goodwill games and 17 during the Pan Am Games.

To use your analogy, Lattner is a 18 year old who is the best pool digger in Noxubee County. Shaq is 15 but would go on to be the one of best pool builder ever.

To go further, you are arguing for a house designed by Jeff Seabold, and I'm saying I got the Unity Chapel.
    Laettner was at Duke 1988-1992. Shaq was at LSU 1989-1992. The Goodwill Games were in 1990 and the Pan Am Games were in 1991. Both were collegiate players at the time. So I think your timeline is the one that is messed up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    Laettner was at Duke 1988-1992. Shaq was at LSU 1989-1992. The Goodwill Games were in 1990 and the Pan Am Games were in 1991. Both were collegiate players at the time. So I think your timeline is the one that is messed up.
    Lattner was born in 1969. Shaq was born in 1972.

How many years apart is that?

How old would Shaq be in 1990? He played in the Olympic trials. How many other US players his age were on the team?

AGAIN, I could understand why they did then.

I'm saying with 21st century knowledge, It's stupid to not include Shaq on the 1992 dream team.

vCash
    If the 5 is who I saw and watched play...
    At the 1 Magic
    The 2 MJ
    The 3 Larry
    The 4 Tim Duncan
    The 5 Kareem ( even at end of his career .. unstoppable on offense with the sky)

And no one would beat that team.. no one.

And with the Lattner / Shaq Olympic debate.. yeah looking back now Shaq for sure was built and fit in better with that team.. but CL is arguably then and still now the greatest College basketball player ever.. you can hate the guy all you want... every big game , every big shot.. and dude was a killer and warrior
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 05-08-2020 at 06:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Stockton was better than Isiah Thomas.
    Agree...