Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Last Dance inspired me to make my Dream Team

vCash

The Last Dance inspired me to make my Dream Team

This is limited to players that played in the Dream Team era so 1992 and before. Here's what the original Dream Team SHOULD have looked like. Players getting along and roster rules be damned.

PG- Magic, Isiah, and Stockton
    SG- Jordan, Drexler, and Mullin
    SF- Bird, Pippen, Dominique Wilkins
    PF- Barkley, Malone, and Rodman
    C- Ewing, Hakeem, Robinson

Yes, I know Rodman really became famous with the Spurs and then the Bulls when he started dying his hair but he was the NBA defensive POY in 1992. He was fun to watch playing defense and rebounding.

Yes, I know Hakeem is from Nigeria. He was also later an American citizen and played on Dream Team II.

I'm fine with the other Dream Team members except for Christian Laettner. I think the committee just wanted to put a college guy out there.

John Stockton is like the white walk-on dude on this team. LOL. Think about that! Magic was better than Isiah but both were great players and not much difference between the two although without a doubt Magic was better.

I think Jordan is the best player of all time. Drexler is a REALLY good back-up shooting guard to sub in for him when MJ needs to take a breather. Mullin was a really good shooter.

Bird was an unreal three point shooter and trash talker. Pippen complimented Jordan well and is a HOF in his own right and could handle playing a couple of positions if needed. Wilkins and MJ could have had an unreal slam dunk contest in practice.

Barkley and Malone were similar players but Barkley was better and I think he had a better three point shot than Malone. Rodman is just fun to watch.

Ewing and Hakeem are both really close. There isn't the clear demarcation between these two like the other four positions. I'd call it 1A/1B. Robinson was pretty young at this time but still really outstanding.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    This is limited to players that played in the Dream Team era so 1992 and before. Here's what the original Dream Team SHOULD have looked like. Players getting along and roster rules be damned.

C- Ewing, Shaq, Robinson

Yes, I know Rodman really became famous with the Spurs and then the Bulls when he started dying his hair but he was the NBA defensive POY in 1992. He was fun to watch playing defense and rebounding.

Yes, I know Hakeem is from Nigeria. He was also later an American citizen and played on Dream Team II. ( he was not a citizen in For Dream Team I, that's why he was left off)

I'm fine with the other Dream Team members except for Christian Laettner. I think the committee just wanted to put a college guy out there.

John Stockton is like the white walk-on dude on this team. LOL. Think about that! Magic was better than Isiah but both were great players and not much difference between the two although without a doubt Magic was better.

I think Jordan is the best player of all time. Drexler is a REALLY good back-up shooting guard to sub in for him when MJ needs to take a breather. Mullin was a really good shooter.

Bird was an unreal three point shooter and trash talker. Pippen complimented Jordan well and is a HOF in his own right and could handle playing a couple of positions if needed. Wilkins and MJ could have had an unreal slam dunk contest in practice.

Barkley and Malone were similar players but Barkley was better and I think he had a better three point shot than Malone. Rodman is just fun to watch.

Ewing and Hakeem are both really close. There isn't the clear demarcation between these two like the other four positions. I'd call it 1A/1B. Robinson was pretty young at this time but still really outstanding.
    There are only 12 roster spots.

Lattner was picked to be the College player, but they should have picked Shaq.

And Thomas was left off for being an asshole, that didn't get along with anyone.

Drop 'Nique and Rodman as bottom 2 players

vCash

Yes, I know Hakeem is from Nigeria. He was also later an American citizen and played on Dream Team II.

Pretty good list but this is so hard to do. I'd make following changes to your list.

Take out Drexler and Mullin. Add Kobe and maybe Lebron.

Take out Thomas and add Kidd, Paul, Iverson, idk so many good ones.

Center hard to leave off Kareem, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin. Agree with Akeem for sure.

PF I take off Rodman add McHale.

Sure I'm leaving off some big names, there are so many over the years.

Pippen was a great player, just not sure he is on all NBA all time team. Only problem I have with Pippen is he went to nothing when Jordan wasn't around twice. Once Jordan returned from first retirement things went back to normal in Chicago then Pippen traded later and didn't do anything on another team. Folks don't realize how much better everyone around Jordan looked when he was on the floor. All of a sudden the floor opens up for you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Pretty good list but this is so hard to do. I'd make following changes to your list.

Center hard to leave off Kareem, Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlin. Agree with Akeem for sure.

Pippen was a great player, just not sure he is on all NBA all time team. Only problem I have with Pippen is he went to nothing when Jordan wasn't around twice. Once Jordan returned from first retirement things went back to normal in Chicago then Pippen traded later and didn't do anything on another team. Folks don't realize how much better everyone around Jordan looked when he was on the floor. All of a sudden the floor opens up for you.
    Ummm...you?re not very well versed on Pippen. He was a skinnier version of lebron. In fact Lebron vs Pippen is a better comparison than lebron vs Jordan. No one compares to MJ. Kobe having the most similar game.

vCash

A couple of things:

You clearly need to educate yourself on John Stockton.

Patrick Ewing on his best day wasn't as good as Hakeem Olajuwon on his worst day.

Other than that, there are only 12 roster spots on the dream team, so you have to make some tough choices.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Ummm...you?re not very well versed on Pippen. He was a skinnier version of lebron. In fact Lebron vs Pippen is a better comparison than lebron vs Jordan. No one compares to MJ. Kobe having the most similar game.
    Agree on one part that Pippen might be better comparison to Lebron in some ways but not very well versed? I probably watched every Bulls game Jordan's whole career. What I said was factual too. Didn't say Pippen wasn't any good, never compared him to any other player either. I was being sarcastic when I said Pippen went to nothing; his production went way down as did the Bulls. You must not have watched much back then.

vCash

If this is 1992, then Kobe is 13, too young unless you are on the gymnastics team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    A couple of things:

You clearly need to educate yourself on John Stockton.

Patrick Ewing on his best day wasn't as good as Hakeem Olajuwon on his worst day.

Other than that, there are only 12 roster spots on the dream team, so you have to make some tough choices.
    I had similar take.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    If this is 1992, then Kobe is 13, too young unless you are on the gymnastics team.
    I was thinking all time Dream team when I posted.

vCash

Kobe and lebron weren't playing in 92. They can't make the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    There are only 12 roster spots.

Lattner was picked to be the College player, but they should have picked Shaq.

And Thomas was left off for being an asshole, that didn't get along with anyone.

Drop 'Nique and Rodman as bottom 2 players
    They picked Laettner over Shaq for two reasons. One is that Laetter was better than Shaq at the time. Shaq was still raw and learning, obviously with much more potential. The second, and primary, reason they picked Laettner, is that he was always willing to represent his country. When asked to represent the US at the Goodwill Games and Pan-Am Games, Christian always said "I'll be there." Shaq always found an excuse not to play. Laettner deserved the reward of the Olympics. If a collegian was going to be picked, Laettner was the clear and obvious choice.

vCash
    Agree on one part that Pippen might be better comparison to Lebron in some ways but not very well versed? I probably watched every Bulls game Jordan's whole career. What I said was factual too. Didn't say Pippen wasn't any good, never compared him to any other player either. I was being sarcastic when I said Pippen went to nothing; his production went way down as did the Bulls. You must not have watched much back then.
    In 94...Jordan?s first yr out...the bulls won 2 more games then they did in 93. And without a phantom foul vs knicks May very well have been back in the finals. The next yr they did falter until Jordan?s late season return.

In 99 Pippen struggled with rockets but then in 00 he was the leader of the team that took shaq and Kobe to 7 in western conference finals...and had that game won. So Pippen had his moments/years with and without Jordan.

Now I do think Pippen was a bitch and maybe that played into not getting over that final hump without Jordan. But he was a great and unique player with a skill set, and maybe even a mind set, very similar to what we see in lebron.

vCash
    Stockton was better than Isiah Thomas.

vCash
    Jarvis Vranado
    Jamont Gordon
    Winsome Frazier
    Lawrence Roberts
    Timmy Bowers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Kobe and lebron weren't playing in 92. They can't make the team.
    Maybe he wants an 8 year old and a 14 year old playing in the olympics...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    They picked Laettner over Shaq for two reasons. One is that Laetter was better than Shaq at the time. Shaq was still raw and learning, obviously with much more potential. The second, and primary, reason they picked Laettner, is that he was always willing to represent his country. When asked to represent the US at the Goodwill Games and Pan-Am Games, Christian always said "I'll be there." Shaq always found an excuse not to play. Laettner deserved the reward of the Olympics. If a collegian was going to be picked, Laettner was the clear and obvious choice.
    I disagreed at the time, And in retrospect the argument for Lattner is dumb. Shaq was clearly the better talent. (Shaq was a 2x first team AA, Lattner only 1x)

Lattner was chosen as a reward for the player he was in college ("best" player on the 2x NCAA Champion's )

And only one player on 1992 team is not in the HOF.... and a future HOF player was available as a choice. In hindsight, Shaq is an obvious change.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FlabLoser View Post
    Jarvis Vranado
    Jamont Gordon
    Winsome Frazier
    Lawrence Roberts
    Timmy Bowers
    Out of nowhere, a phantom from the past. Post more Flab.

vCash
    My starting line-up

Point: Gary Payton
    SG: Mike
    SF: Larry
    Point Forward: Magic
    Center: Shaq & Hakeem (offense/defense match up)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    I disagreed at the time, And in retrospect the argument for Lattner is dumb. Shaq was clearly the better talent. (Shaq was a 2x first team AA, Lattner only 1x)

Lattner was chosen as a reward for the player he was in college ("best" player on the 2x NCAA Champion's )

And only one player on 1992 team is not in the HOF.... and a future HOF player was available as a choice. In hindsight, Shaq is an obvious change.
    I disagree. The committee wanted a college player. And Laettner is a HOF player. He was inducted into the college basketball Hall of Fame. Remember, we are talking about a collegian, not a pro. Certainly we can question why the committee didn't just use all professional players.

The real factor came down to Laettner's willingness to play whenever and wherever his country asked him to, while Shaq would not. Imagine for a moment you were going to dig a backyard swimming pool with a shovel in July in Mississippi. Every weekend you call your friends Shaq and Christian to come over and help. Every weekend Christian shows up and digs all day in the 98-degree heat, while Shaq always has an excuse as to why he can't come. When the pool is finally finished and you have two hot blondes with bikinis coming over to swim, who deserves to get the invite to swim with you and the ladies? Is it your friend Christian or your friend Shaq?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I disagree. The committee wanted a college player. And Laettner is a HOF player. He was inducted into the college basketball Hall of Fame. Remember, we are talking about a collegian, not a pro. Certainly we can question why the committee didn't just use all professional players.

The real factor came down to Laettner's willingness to play whenever and wherever his country asked him to, while Shaq would not. Imagine for a moment you were going to dig a backyard swimming pool with a shovel in July in Mississippi. Every weekend you call your friends Shaq and Christian to come over and help. Every weekend Christian shows up and digs all day in the 98-degree heat, while Shaq always has an excuse as to why he can't come. When the pool is finally finished and you have two hot blondes with bikinis coming over to swim, who deserves to get the invite to swim with you and the ladies? Is it your friend Christian or your friend Shaq?
    Neither. I'm keeping both for myself LOL!
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18