Thread: MLB draft....

vCash

MLB draft....

Very interesting stuff to watch for next month. First off, many fans don't know the difference between Agents and Advisors, me neither till yesterday. Also with the draft being kept low key on how many rounds, it may get real interesting to see what kinda money will be thrown out to the kids this year. It's very possible higher than usual or maybe lower, the number of rounds will be way lower, maybe less than 10 or even.
    I do know about a few of our incoming class and what is going on with what may or may not happen, LOL. Money is important, but what organization picks is very important, kinda like college recruiting.
    I really want say much more but things change, especially this years draft, what "we" fans think kids should do is totally different to say the least. So much goes into the "thinking process", some make good choices some or IFFY. But I will say I have changed my mind about what I think about a kid's future, Professional or College.
    Well more to come maybe after the draft, I do think we will lose some but that is every year. Btw, it's also interesting what scouts think about coaches and what they think about developing players, I think "we" would be surprised, it ain't always what we think or hear. LOL, I was kinda surprised.

Stay safe and let's hope sports is alive soon!

vCash
    First - good luck to your grandson, as I assume you are having these discussions right now about him. Congrats.

Second - you can't drop that last tidbit about development and then just end the post. We need more than that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    First - good luck to your grandson, as I assume you are having these discussions right now about him. Congrats.

Second - you can't drop that last tidbit about development and then just end the post. We need more than that!
    Brunswick, I want say it's all bad about coaches and development, but times have changed, travel ball, kids having trainers.....Coaches recruit talent in baseball, it's just a different sport compared to basketball and Football.
    Professional baseball Coaches are more into developing their "investments". Think about some of our ex pitching coaches and hitting coaches. "We" as fans have been moaning about some of them and lack of improvement, it just true. Hey again I was kinda shocked, I am learning a lot more about how this draft process and teams thoughts. Many times a Kid may thing a certain team will draft them because of their talks and out of the blue a team drafts a kid that they had no idea they were interested.
    Maybe one day I will say, it may be scouts talking crap, but maybe not when one hears from different organizations. I will say things are heating up and getting interesting, not so much in players moving up or down in the draft, but the possibility of money and what teams are interested. Advisors are real important, I believe their are 3 major "companies", I may be wrong, I try to stay in my lane with all this.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Brunswick, I want say it's all bad about coaches and development, but times have changed, travel ball, kids having trainers.....Coaches recruit talent in baseball, it's just a different sport compared to basketball and Football.
    Professional baseball Coaches are more into developing their "investments". Think about some of our ex pitching coaches and hitting coaches. "We" as fans have been moaning about some of them and lack of improvement, it just true. Hey again I was kinda shocked, I am learning a lot more about how this draft process and teams thoughts. Many times a Kid may thing a certain team will draft them because of their talks and out of the blue a team drafts a kid that they had no idea they were interested.
    Maybe one day I will say, it may be scouts talking crap, but maybe not when one hears from different organizations. I will say things are heating up and getting interesting, not so much in players moving up or down in the draft, but the possibility of money and what teams are interested. Advisors are real important, I believe their are 3 major "companies", I may be wrong, I try to stay in my lane with all this.
    Why do players feel they need these "advisors".

vCash
    I'm honestly not sure I've ever read a post this long where I was less certain of what it was saying.

I'll be very surprised if the money is any different than normal because they're not going to want to set a precedent. Why treat this year differently if it will make it more difficult to roll it back again next year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Why do players feel they need these "advisors".
    Advisors are the same as the agent but it's official (getting paid)

Players need them for 2 main reasons:

1. Teams are far more comfortable dealing with an agent that they have a prior business relationship with and can trust. Teams may have worked with a particular agent on 50+ players whereas they've never worked with the player.

2. A good agent can maximize a players stock in the draft because he has experience and knows where the talent level fits.

For example: if your work $1 mil and ask for $3 mil because you don't objectively know your talent level, then teams laugh and nobody drafts you. However, if your agent knows your worth $1 mil but asks for $1.5 mil, then the teams view that as a workable situation and both parties settle at $1.25 mil because the team doesn't want to lose the player. Thus the agent made the player $250K just because he knew what he was doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Advisors are the same as the agent but it's official (getting paid)

Players need them for 2 main reasons:

1. Teams are far more comfortable dealing with an agent that they have a prior business relationship with and can trust. Teams may have worked with a particular agent on 50+ players whereas they've never worked with the player.

2. A good agent can maximize a players stock in the draft because he has experience and knows where the talent level fits.

For example: if your work $1 mil and ask for $3 mil because you don't objectively know your talent level, then teams laugh and nobody drafts you. However, if your agent knows your worth $1 mil but asks for $1.5 mil, then the teams view that as a workable situation and both parties settle at $1.25 mil because the team doesn't want to lose the player. Thus the agent made the player $250K just because he knew what he was doing.
    Agents do get paid. Did you mean to say advisors don't get paid.

vCash
    Agents do get paid. Did you mean to say advisors don't get paid.
    The agent and advisor are the same person but their title changes upon the player turning pro.

For example: Scott Boris is Ginn's advisor currently.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    The agent and advisor are the same person but their title changes upon the player turning pro.

For example: Scott Boris is Ginn's advisor currently.
    Boros working for free right now, but will take a cut of Ginn's first contract?

vCash
    Yes. 5-8%

Some times super agents will be advisors for free though in order to undercut the competition for draft purposes so they have them for their pro career.

vCash
    Yes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'm honestly not sure I've ever read a post this long where I wa

I'll be very surprised if the money is any different than normal because they're not going to want to set a precedent. Why treat this year differently if it will make it more difficult to roll it back again next year?
    I thought about not saying anything, this is sorta a touchy situation, and I can understand you and some others saying what you stated (less certain of what it was saying).

So I will bye out and like I said "stay in my lane".