Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jalen Johnson to State (Louisiana grad transfer PF)

vCash
    I?m pretty sure Keondre Montgomery is a lock too

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Agree, he will be tough and a grad transfer (PF) would be ideal. When looking at the transfer portal though, looks like all the decent ones are committed elsewhere though.
    There's still another 100-200 kids who are going to enter the portal.

vCash
    Don't sleep on freshman Deivon Smith He's nowhere near the normal freshman point guard. Also, noted for making his teammates better. This team needs a point guard that can help elevate level of play. If he adjusts quickly to the college game....look out.

My opinion, though just an incoming freshman, Deivon Smith is currently the team's best ball handler, and has the best point guard skills going into next season. He and Iverson Molinar will both compete for minutes. Molinar....minutes at both the 1 and 2 spots. He's way talented, but will need to improve his consistency at the point to hold off the freshman for minutes.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-02-2020 at 04:07 PM.

vCash
    Miss. State has the athletes to play more uptempo. Possibly add atleast a couple of more players to the current roster though. With Deivon and Iverson running the point...couple more players, this team has the potential to get up and down the court. Remember the Washington Huskies when they had Isaiah Thomas. Head Coach Lorenzo Romar gave him the keys as a freshman....remember he outplayed Dee Bost as they blew out Miss. State in the NCAA Tourney. Best to play uptempo with a point guard like Deivon or release him, let him transfer....play for a coach that more fits his style....don't hold him back from his potential.

Also, does anyone remember Head Coach Dave Whitney, and his high scoring Alcorn State teams? Remember a point guard named Eddie Archie? Larry Smith? Aaron Brandon? Dave Whitney Jr? Phelps? Ben Jobe's Southern University teams with players like Avery Johnson, and Bobby Phills? Possibly get some old film...send Coach Howland.

Remember, Alcorn State beat Miss. State in Starkville under Coach Dave Whitney.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-05-2020 at 02:13 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Don't sleep on freshman Deivon Smith He's nowhere near the normal freshman point guard. Also, noted for making his teammates better. This team needs a point guard that can help elevate level of play. If he adjusts quickly to the college game....look out.

My opinion, though just an incoming freshman, Deivon Smith is currently the team's best ball handler, and has the best point guard skills going into next season. He and Iverson Molinar will both compete for minutes. Molinar....minutes at both the 1 and 2 spots. He's way talented, but will need to improve his consistency at the point to hold off the freshman for minutes.
    I think we see Smith and Molinar playing alot together, Howland plays 2 PG's together all the time. But I agree, Smith is the best ball handler. I think we still need to bring in one more PG, preferably a grad transfer or even a solid JUCO PG. Right now our only ball handlers are those two. God forbid we have an injury to either of those guys because DJ isnt much of a ball handler.. that's why it's always good to have those combo guard types like Q, Nick, Molinar, Tyson etc because they can play the 1 and 2, and all 4 of those guys played both positions, even in years past Jamont Gordon, Ben Hansbrough, Barry Stewart guys like that were able to play both. Right now we dont have that, we only have 2 true Gaurds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I think we see Smith and Molinar playing alot together, Howland plays 2 PG's together all the time. But I agree, Smith is the best ball handler. I think we still need to bring in one more PG, preferably a grad transfer or even a solid JUCO PG. Right now our only ball handlers are those two. God forbid we have an injury to either of those guys because DJ isnt much of a ball handler.. that's why it's always good to have those combo guard types like Q, Nick, Molinar, Tyson etc because they can play the 1 and 2, and all 4 of those guys played both positions, even in years past Jamont Gordon, Ben Hansbrough, Barry Stewart guys like that were able to play both. Right now we dont have that, we only have 2 true Gaurds.
    Team coud definitely use another good ball handling guard. Possibly another true point guard type or combo guard with the ability to shoot it well from the perimeter (including 3 pt range). Sub 6 feet athlete...fine as well.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-04-2020 at 08:26 PM.