Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jalen Johnson to State (Louisiana grad transfer PF)

vCash

Jalen Johnson to State (Louisiana grad transfer PF)

https://247sports.com/college/missis...son-146664610/

Seems like a good pickup. Instant post rotation player. Averaged 15.5 pts and 6.6 rebounds.

vCash
    Come on Woodard, 1 more

vCash
    Really good pickup. You can pencil him in the starting lineup. Averaged 34 minutes per game last year. Need Woodard back. I would love a 40% 3 point shooter too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Come on Woodard, 1 more
    This is actually a pretty good lineup:

G: Molinar
    G: Stewart
    F: Johnson
    F: Woodard
    C: Ado

Mainly, b/c I'm a big fan of Molinar. If he can really work on his game this offseason, he can be special.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Really good pickup. You can pencil him in the starting lineup. Averaged 34 minutes per game last year. Need Woodard back. I would love a 40% 3 point shooter too.
    Johnson struggled from 3 last season but shot 41% from 3 his Soph year.

vCash
    This is actually a pretty good lineup:

G: Molinar
    G: Stewart
    F: Johnson
    F: Woodard
    C: Ado

Mainly, b/c I'm a big fan of Molinar. If he can really work on his game this offseason, he can be special.
    Yep bring Deivon & Tolu off the bench then you really just need 1 more reliable bench guy. I may be biased but I really believe Cam Matthews can & will be that guy. He has that dog in him & won't back down from anyone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Johnson struggled from 3 last season but shot 41% from 3 his Soph year.
    Probably had trouble adjusting to the deeper line.... But really, I'm speaking more about the off guard spot. I don't really love DJ as a 2. Need another ball handler at guard with quickness and the ability to shoot. Maybe Devion Smith can be that guy. Would have loved to have gotten a guy like Dimencio Vaughn who Ole Miss landed.

vCash
    Probably had trouble adjusting to the deeper line.... But really, I'm speaking more about the off guard spot. I don't really love DJ as a 2. Need another ball handler at guard with quickness and the ability to shoot. Maybe Devion Smith can be that guy. Would have loved to have gotten a guy like Dimencio Vaughn who Ole Miss landed.
    We somewhat disagree on DJ. I do love DJ at the 2 & I think he can be a 35-40% guy at the 3. His offensive game is just so much more well rounded that his shot gets lost. He shot 33% from 3 this year I can easily see that going up a few points. Now Molinar is the guy who I think is a much better shooter than people realize. He shot 37% with a small sample size but I think that can carry over with a larger role.

vCash
    So much hinges on Woodard, but this was a huge pickup.

vCash
    Solid pickup, but we need a PF. He's more of a hybrid/small forward. Size will be an issue in the SEC.

vCash
    The thing that is great about getting a guy like him is that he has proven experience already, there arent many questions about him. His 3 point % wasnt great last year but he shot it pretty good at St. Louis so the ability is there. He averaged 15 and 6 which are good numbers. He wont be afraid to play anyone either, between St. Louis and Louisiana, he has played against teams like Virginia tech, Butler, Providence, Bama and more so it's not like bringing in a freshman with no experience.. I hope we can land one more grad transfer to this roster and I would feel pretty good about the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Solid pickup, but we need a PF. He's more of a hybrid/small forward. Size will be an issue in the SEC.
    I agree we still have Ado, Tolu Smith (who has played at the collegiate level), and Quinton Post. But we arent deep there. Matthew's, Johnson and if Woodard returns can all play some 4 though. But yes adding another big is important.

I actually think we may need another ball handler, right now we have Fresham Deivon Smith and Iverson. DJ Stewart isnt really a guy who handles it much and I dont think any of the newcomers will be either. He can sign 2 more guys, I'd like to see him get a combo guard (so he can play the 1 and 2 when needed) and a big man
    Last edited by NCMSTFAN; 04-30-2020 at 04:02 PM.

vCash
    Here's where I am on Howland - his teams seem to do better the less heralded his players are, so I'm all about a team with solid players who were 3- or low 4-star guys and are tough.

So bring it on. I would love to have Woodard back, he would be huge for next year. But aside from that, I'm not worried about anybody we're losing. Let's roll with some tough, physical guys who don't back down. That goes a long way at this level.

I think this could be one of those Pitt-type teams from Howland next year. I'm not expecting big things, I don't think we're a Tournament team...but I also won't be surprised if we end up not losing many games.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Here's where I am on Howland - his teams seem to do better the less heralded his players are, so I'm all about a team with solid players who were 3- or low 4-star guys and are tough.

So bring it on. I would love to have Woodard back, he would be huge for next year. But aside from that, I'm not worried about anybody we're losing. Let's roll with some tough, physical guys who don't back down. That goes a long way at this level.

I think this could be one of those Pitt-type teams from Howland next year. I'm not expecting big things, I don't think we're a Tournament team...but I also won't be surprised if we end up not losing many games.
    Good post smootness I agree completely. There are times where having a tough hard nosed team with a couple 4 star guys and 3 star guys is better than having a team full of high 4 and 5 star kids who think they are the next LeBron and play that way.

Dont get it wrong, I'll take the more talented kid everytime, but there are times when the chemistry of all that talent doesn't come together (UNC this year) and being honest, I havent seen Howland put a really good team together yet and he has had multiple 4 and 5 star kids since being at MSU.

vCash
    Huge pickup.

15.5 points, 6.6 rebounds per game last season at Louisiana. (Note) He shot the 3 pointers well at St Louis. ..39.4% from 3 his sophomore year. at St. Louis
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-30-2020 at 07:38 PM.

vCash
    Who else realistically is on our board right now?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Huge pickup.

15.5 points, 6.6 rebounds per game last season at Louisiana. (Note) He shot the 3 pointers well at St Louis. ..39.4% from 3 his sophomore year. at St. Louis
    LOL, you didn't even read the thread. Everything you just posted has been said.

vCash
    LOL, you didn't even read the thread. Everything you just posted has been said.
    I did read the thread before posting. Sometimes I don't read, just post regarding the subject of the thread. Sometimes partially read. If I hadn't read wouldn't be anything wrong with it. When or what I do read, I often repost information (my own and others) posted earlier in threads. Also, it helps put further emphasis on, continues to stress earlier info, and acts as reminder as the thread gets longer. (Note) Quite a few people don't read but just parts of threads, often just the last or last few posts....so it also helps them when certain info is reposted or reemphasive later in the thread or as it continues.

If I choose to post something in a thread....I post it regardless prior posts. Again, many times I don't read the other posts at all or just parts of the thread.....just give my take, conversation, info ect.....regarding the subject of the thread. Sometimes, even often times read all or parts of the thread later.

HoopsDawg....a lot of what I said had indeed already been said or indicated, partially indicated, but I chose to post on the matter as well.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 05-01-2020 at 02:19 AM.

vCash
    Agree, he will be tough and a grad transfer (PF) would be ideal. When looking at the transfer portal though, looks like all the decent ones are committed elsewhere though.

vCash
    Very strong pick up... kid gets to the line and shoots it at a 82% clip..
    If RW does come back this roster looks very very nice...