Thread: 9 years ago today - 4/27/11

vCash

9 years ago today - 4/27/11

A generational level tornado outbreak occurred. It is now the tornado outbreak by which all others are judged; replacing the super outbreak of 1974 as having that dubious honor.

253 were killed and 1000's more injured. 253 people that were asleep in their beds this time nine years ago never knowing when they woke up they'd never see the next nightfall because in a matter of a few hours an outbreak of violent tornadoes would tear a path from MS to New York. I can't imagine what their final moments were like. The level of fear they must have faced. In my chasing career I've been inside three tornadoes, but nothing near the magnitude of what these people stared down.

This was the event that solidified my interest to become a chaser. I had grown up being fascinated by the weather. My family used to make fun of me for watching the Weather Channel for literally hours a day. Every day. As a child I was terrified of severe weather. Maybe trying to learn about it was a coping mechanism. Sort of a nerdy way to face your fear. But it also planted a seed of fascination. I couldn't read enough or watch enough about tornadoes. Then 4/27 happened and it was like a whip cracked. The next spring we had severe weather come in. I didn't even have a smart phone and no radar. Kept calling my wife who I stuck in front of the tv telling me where the storms were. That was my first chase. The next year I saw my first tornado over in AR. I was hooked ever since. Today, I'm a member of North MS Storm Chasers and Spotters and I've managed to slowly acquire a few more tools to help me. My Christmas and birthday list every year is usually nothing but things for storm chasing or just cash to help put diesel in the truck and a fast food burger in the stomach while on the road. But it all started on this day nine years ago. I have a passion for severe weather not comprehended by many, and I want to use that passion to be out in the worst weather imaginable. If I can send in a report that causes just one person to take shelter and survive a tornado that wouldn't have otherwise, then the risks are absolutely worth it. My wife has told me but you may bd killed in the process. True. But I told her if that happens then know I went out doing what I love more than anything and trying to help people in the process.

I thank the board for letting me post my little updates on here before severe weather events. I know a college sports message board is hardly the place one expects to see a post about bad weather coming up. I try to convey my untrained amateur thoughts as best I can without resorting to over the top hype and fear mongering.

Finally, if you've made it this far in a post that ended up being way longer than I anticipated, remember the families of all those devastated by this event. You may even have been one that lost your home, property, or a loved one in it. Remember how fragile life is. The line between life and death is a fine tightrope we walk every day. We never know when we'll lose our balance and fall off. Don't take any day for granted. Play with your kids. Call and visit your parents. Mend any old riffs and bad blood. The most powerful emotion is regret. I know from other things in my life. And once you have it then it is there to stay.

vCash
    Thank you SVD for all you do.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    We appreciate it SVD. You and a couple of others on this board are my most trusted sources for accurate severe weather info.

vCash
    Great post! Thanks for all you do! I appreciate the info! Stay safe out there!

vCash
    Hey SVD Will Tues/wed wx be statewide. The NWs just increased the severe weather threat for the coast from slight chance to the you're getting pounded forecast and for it to last all night.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Hey SVD Will Tues/wed wx be statewide. The NWs just increased the severe weather threat for the coast from slight chance to the you're getting pounded forecast and for it to last all night.
    Unless something has drastically changed I'm not expecting much at all for MS from this system. The far western delta is about the only exception. Last I saw a squall line is supposed to move through during the overnight hours tomorrow and have a small wind and hail threat but not much else. By the time it gets to MS it will have morel than likely outrun the best instability.

ETA: The next system I'm watching with some interest is expected to move in around 5/5-5/6.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Unless something has drastically changed I'm not expecting much at all for MS from this system. The far western delta is about the only exception. Last I saw a squall line is supposed to move through during the overnight hours tomorrow and have a small wind and hail threat but not much else. By the time it gets to MS it will have morel than likely outrun the best instability.

ETA: The next system I'm watching with some interest is expected to move in around 5/5-5/6.
    I already had my eye on 5/5-5/6 just based on the huge temperature drop being indicated from one day to the next.