Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Just in case you still didn't know how bad Joe was

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Hud and Johnson showed him how to adjust his offense and he was too stubborn to swallow his pride. That Auburn game was the best game we played that season. Joe was more worried about being an offensive coordinator than a head coach.
    That was a whole lot more Getsy than Hud and Johnson.

vCash
    Wound up costing us a whole lot more than if we had just backed the Brinks truck up to the Mullen home and unloaded it. Should have never let the man walk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    It really shows how bad he was when you look at our draft picks last year and this year compared to say ole Miss. We had the talent. No coaching. I could have gone out there and won more games than he did. He was just "too smart for his own good". I agree that the play calling worked against lesser opponents. I think more than that, he needs someone to keep his play calling in check. It was too slow. You can't go against some of the best coaches and players in the nation and give them time to adjust to your play each down. Especially when some teams have ex coaches that only study their opponents. Adding to that what someone said above, you can't expect a player who isn't a passes to throw 30+ times in a rain storm. Moorhead is a great offensive coordinator when he has someone to cut out the crap. I think that he's a great guy and wish him well but a HC in the SEC, he is not.
    Also, after his play call "adjustment," the defense seemed to have time to adjust.

A couple of times I thought that the defense would line up with an intentionally obvious weakness to get Joe to change to a certain play, then the defense would adjust to stop that particular play, knowing Joe was too slow to change it again.

vCash
    The question on 2018 to me becomes whether or not we have tutorgate. I hate the fact we will have to vacate wins but in some ways if we had won 10 or 11 games with a different coach and had to vacate that would?ve been much more devastating

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PGHBulldogBG View Post
    The question on 2018 to me becomes whether or not we have tutorgate. I hate the fact we will have to vacate wins but in some ways if we had won 10 or 11 games with a different coach and had to vacate that would?ve been much more devastating
    Do we have to vacate wins? I'm asking because I'm not sure if Ole Miss ever did. I'm sure we'll do the "exemplary cooperation thing".

The thing about TutorGate is I wonder what kind of a season we would have had with those players playing 13 games? The defense was definitely better with those players.

Ultimately TutorGate was a black eye on Joe because I wonder if some of those players would have cheated if they feared what Joe would do to them if they got caught? May have still happened anyway but it does raise a question about discipline and respect.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobtail bob View Post
    Wound up costing us a whole lot more than if we had just backed the Brinks truck up to the Mullen home and unloaded it. Should have never let the man walk.
    Cohen offered him an extension after Texas A&M 2017 and I may be wrong but it was either the same as or more than what Florida paid him. Or close to it.

Dan wanted out and it was past time for him to leave despite any success because someone that doesn't want to be here will never get us to our full potential. I feel the same way about Napier.

vCash

Mullen was leaving after 17. No doubt.

Cohen offered big time extension after TAMU and Mullen was honest and open and told him he had accomplished all he could here and was ready for change. Napier?s agent has him holding out for USCe after 2020. He is convinced a change is coming there.
    Last edited by deltadawg63; 04-26-2020 at 08:31 PM. Reason: Not finished

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deltadawg63 View Post
    Cohen offered big time extension after TAMU and Mullen was honest and open and told him he had accomplished all he could here and was ready for change. Napier?s agent has him holding out for USCe after 2020. He is convinced a change is coming there.
    I think South Carolina will make a change too but hiring Napier would be against their previous three hires M.O. which has been hiring retreads like Lou Holtz and Steve Spurrier and to a much lesser degree Muschamp. I think they'll try to make a run at Urban Meyer or Mark Dantonio unless they surprise me.

Also- I want to see Jeff Monken get hired at Vanderbilt.

vCash
    For Mullen, it was more than just money it was about professional achievement and reaching for the highest levels. To go back to a high level program as it's top man after being an assistant is pretty compelling to most coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I think he had too much on his plate. I also think it seemed to me at least like he was always trying to make some spectacular RPO special play call every time and sometimes all you need to do is have the QB hand it off or run something high percentage like a slant. To me I had the impression that he was maybe a little too concerned about what others thought about him in the industry and when it all came together he ended up just trying too hard to impress people. Which is probably the root of why he had those crazy ass rants in press conferences about fans hurting his daughter's feelings with their criticism in the stands, The Veranda or wherever, the Bob from Bogue Chitto comments, and finally the Egg Bowl press conference rant.

He REALLY should have hired Joe Brady on his staff instead of Breiner.

I'll sure many will disagree but at it's core I don't think his offense was that bad. LSU isn't incorporating your ideas into their offense and you aren't landing on your feet in Oregon as their OC if you're completely trash. I think the MAIN problem again mostly goes back to discipline. To run offenses you have to be very precise in the SEC and that only happens with discipline in the offseason and from a coach that basically demands perfection along with a lot of reps. For example- how much did Fitz work with our receivers in the offseason before 2018? It seemed like he was always going to a beauty pageant and rumors were that he was hanging out in Georgia a lot. And yeah, I get that his girlfriend was there- but could she not have come to Mississippi some too? Or more than she did? If you want to reach your full potential you HAVE TO put the work in. I don't feel like he did. But I also don't feel like our entire TEAM did either. Especially last season.

So, to be clear Moorhead should have been the one demanding that our players work harder than they did. And because they weren't TOLD to by Moorhead I don't totally blame the players for acting the way that they did because it's human nature to take advantage of that. I remember a story about Dan when he first got here demanding that Tyson Lee work on his footwork in the mirror 200 times/reps a day by himself. That's the kind of work that has to be put in to reach your full potential in the SEC at all positions.
    Good post

vCash
    Do we have to vacate wins? I'm asking because I'm not sure if Ole Miss ever did. I'm sure we'll do the "exemplary cooperation thing".

The thing about TutorGate is I wonder what kind of a season we would have had with those players playing 13 games? The defense was definitely better with those players.

Ultimately TutorGate was a black eye on Joe because I wonder if some of those players would have cheated if they feared what Joe would do to them if they got caught? May have still happened anyway but it does raise a question about discipline and respect.
    Their fans might not admit it, but the games are vacated if you look in the record books. It impacts their win percentage and series record The teams that lost to them still get the loss but the wins don?t count. I don?t really agree with the fact teams get the loss considering they lost due to ?special circumstances?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    That was a whole lot more Getsy than Hud and Johnson.
    I heard rumors about Hud and Joe butting heads about his offense but I didn't hear anything about Getsy that would lead me to believe he would impose his opinions on Joe.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    His tenure was effectively over after he lost to Dan Mullen. We spent the next 20 games playing out the string.
    I think it was after the UK game when he couldn't in game scheme to neutralize one DE and load the box against the run.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Cohen offered him an extension after Texas A&M 2017 and I may be wrong but it was either the same as or more than what Florida paid him. Or close to it.

Dan wanted out and it was past time for him to leave despite any success because someone that doesn't want to be here will never get us to our full potential. I feel the same way about Napier.
    He was offered 6 million to stay. He did not want to be here. I think he made a mistake. If he doesn't beat GA and get to the SEC championship, I don't care how many games he wins those crazies will run him off and probably the cheerleader with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    He was offered 6 million to stay. He did not want to be here. I think he made a mistake. If he doesn't beat GA and get to the SEC championship, I don't care how many games he wins those crazies will run him off and probably the cheerleader with him.
    This, exactly.

vCash
    A much more frustrated by Mullen giving us 75-80% while he was here than I am about him leaving. Coaches leave every school. However, what they don't typically do is cut their balls off in recruiting because they are constantly looking for another job

I really think we get 100% from Mike Leach, & he's as good or better than Mullen anyway. Much more upside. Leach knows this is HIS CHANCE & I think this little twitter thing is going to fire him up & give him something to prove.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    We’re better off now anyway, though we had to suffer through two years of hell to get here. Having said that, it would have been fun to see what would have happened in ‘18 if Mullen had stayed one more year.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    While I'm not a Cohen fan, Cohen wanted him gone. He wasn't allowed until a couple issues late last year. Just like Cohen wants beer sales but can't get them.
    This^ is all accurate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    This^ is all accurate.
    I know Miss State has its own Zip code and technically it's own city but how much is Starkville playing into the no sale of beer in stadium. I don't drink alcohol in any form but beer is already in the stadium so why not make money off it? I don't understand the rationale of not selling it, other SEC schools did it and had no problem and made a bunch of money selling it.

vCash
    Meh, if he had stayed.... he would have been miserable. He had to leave to satisfy his own curiosity.

As for his career, if Florida fires him for coming in 2nd every year. He will find another P5 job.