Thread: 1980, 1998 and 1999 Mississippi State football highlight videos!

vCash

1980, 1998 and 1999 Mississippi State football highlight videos!

vCash
    And a couple of baseball ones!

vCash
    I wish they'd just upload the full games for football, but these are a nice treat!
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    I wish they'd just upload the full games for football, but these are a nice treat!
    Agree!

I would be fine with a condensed version of a classic game.

Like this:

vCash
    Those are great. 1980 was fun to watch. 2 games in Starkville! Stadium looked a little different then lol (a shed at the end of the bleachers lol??)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Those are great. 1980 was fun to watch. 2 games in Starkville! Stadium looked a little different then lol (a shed at the end of the bleachers lol??)
    absolutely ... I'm not sure E Ballard ever lost to LSU .... 1998 was the year of the Cardiac Kids ..... I was there in 99

ETA - or maybe I've got 98 & 99 mixed up - I'm becoming an OLD dawg
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    3 special years for me.

1980 is the season that made me a Bulldog. Half my family is Alabama fans. Other side is State graduates. My dad took me to some campus games. I chose maroon over crimson.

98-99. I went to about 9 games each season. The SECCG in 98 and then Peach in 99. Fun times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    3 special years for me.

1980 is the season that made me a Bulldog. Half my family is Alabama fans. Other side is State graduates. My dad took me to some campus games. I chose maroon over crimson.

98-99. I went to about 9 games each season. The SECCG in 98 and then Peach in 99. Fun times.
    yep ... I was there for both as well - both were played in the new Georgia Dome ... VERY FUN times indeed
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    yep ... I was there for both as well - both were played in the new Georgia Dome ... VERY FUN times indeed
    The Peach Bowl in 1999 was awesome. That was the first time in my fan life that I had ever seen MSU win a bowl game.

vCash
    Every time I watch the last play of the Bama game in ‘80, I’m reminded of how we nearly blew the whole thing with that fumble, but fortunately we recovered it at the half yard line. I might never have recovered if we had let that game slip away after such a dominate performance.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    Every time I watch the last play of the Bama game in ‘80, I’m reminded of how we nearly blew the whole thing with that fumble, but fortunately we recovered it at the half yard line. I might never have recovered if we had let that game slip away after such a dominate performance.
    So we need an official ruling on this. As I recall (being told) the nose guard slapped the ball as it was hiked. So if Bama recovered it would not matter. True or not true?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    It wasn't a fumble. The Bama NG slapped the ball out of the centers hands. The refs saw it, game over. That's why they didn't bother to see who had it.

vCash
    I had no idea at the time that there was a fumble oN the last play.

I can still remember exactly where I was. I was listening on the radio. Hanging on every word. When they fumbled. We just started celebrating. What an ending to a game.

vCash
    Some general thoughts after having watched all of these:

THANK YOU to MSU for putting these up on the Internet. These are some of the only youtube footage of some of these games and I appreciate them being put out there.

1980- I could have done without the USM game recap. FUN to watch all of the goal line stands. Beating Miami, Auburn, Alabama, LSU, and Ole Miss is still the greatest run in MSU football history. Even though this team was known for the Bulldog Blitz- it was really more the offense that was impressive than anything in general. I'd say that they're the second best offense in school history behind 2014. But that's debatable.

1998- This team not only won the SEC West, but I think they had the best special teams unit in school history. Hazlewood had some key field goals- not as many as Westerfield of course career wise but he was still a good kicker if inaccurate at times. Walker was a great punter and All-SEC caliber. Prentiss returned KO's and punt returns that were huge against South Carolina and Tennessee. Robert Bean was really good at blocking kicks and punts. The Auburn game was a special teams clinic. After Auburn fumbles the KO Kenzaki Jones gets the fumble recovery and made an incredible play lateraling the ball back to Eugene Clinton for a TD. The defense and offense was really good and JJ Johnson was a special RB for us. I do wish that the video had highlights from the Memphis game because JJ Johnson had a beautiful TD run to start that game for us that I would like to see again.

1999- This was the best modern football season in MSU history. I like how this video reviewed every game- even Middle Tennessee State. I have been longing for more footage of the 1999 Egg Bowl and this video provides it. The only thing I would add on that front- Fred Smoot made an incredible INT in the end zone against Ole Miss on a post pattern that looked like an Ole Miss TD. One of the best INT's and plays I have ever seen by a MSU player. And saved the game for us. Not sure why it's not in the video. Also, I wish that there were some Peach Bowl highlights. My guess is it's not in there so the video could be sold and given as a Christmas present. Today they would probably have a "bonus edition" with the Peach Bowl highlights. I liked the locker room footage in this one- which had more than the others. Also, this video definitively proves that Rod Gibson scored. Over HALF of his body with the ball was in the end zone. Sorry LSU fans.

I think it's great that MSU has put these out. I'd like to see videos from:

1994- This team was pretty good. One of the best offenses in MSU history led by Bruce Arians. ERIC MOULDS! And then we had Michael Davis, Kevin Bouie at RB, a massive o-line, and Derrick Taite set some then school records. Beating Tennessee was the signature win, but there were some other great games. We beat a good South Carolina team on the last play of the game, Taite set some passing records against Tulane, Kevin Bouie set some then school records for rushing against Kentucky (Our running backs absolutely abuse them historically), we beat Arkansas in a game where Moulds went off, and then we beat Ole Miss in the fog. Ole Miss was led by Joe Lee Dunn who was the interim coach while they were put on probation. (Sound familiar?)

2007- Get past the fact that this team was coached by Croom. They had a great year. In fact they are the ONLY MSU team that can say that they beat a ranked Auburn team on the road, beat a ranked Kentucky team on the road, beat Alabama, beat Ole Miss, and then won their bowl game. That's pretty impressive even if they had to score a bunch of defensive and special teams touchdowns to do it.

2010- This season was very good too. Beat Georgia for the first time since 1974. Beat a good Florida team on the road for the first time since the 1960's which is a pretty underrated win. Absolutely hammering Memphis was fun. Tyler Russell looked like Peyton Manning in that game and Vick Ballard just gashed them. They also beat Ole Miss in Oxford for the first time since 1998 and Arceto Clark decleated a guy for Ole Miss. The crown jewel was beating Michigan in the Gator Bowl which was by far the most fun I have ever had at a bowl game. This team had people like Fletcher Cox, KJ Wright, Chris White (Conerly Trophy winner), Banks, Pernell McPhee, Derek Sherrod, Ballard, Bumphis, and Gabe Jackson among others on it. They were a good team.

2014- I wouldn't mind seeing a video on them put out. But if not I'm also OK with it because there are some videos on them out there. Beat USM in a game where we played them for the first time since 1990, and then had a great run where we bet LSU on the road, Texas A&M, and then Auburn to get to number one, and then we beat Kentucky on the road in our first game as number one and Arkansas at home in the first game as number one at home. We also killed Vanderbilt 51-0. Disappointing end kept it from being the best season in MSU history but still a great season nonetheless.

Of course there are some games that we won in non-special MSU football seasons that were big. It would be cool in those cases if MSU would do a replay of the coach's show for some of those. And I DO have a wishlist.

1982- LSU
    1986- Tennessee
    1987- Egg Bowl
    1988- Louisiana Tech*******
    1989- USM
    1990- USM
    1991- Texas
    1992- Florida
    1993- Egg Bowl
    1994- The games I mentioned above.
    1996- Alabama
    1996- Egg Bowl
    1997- Auburn
    2000- Florida
    2000- Auburn
    2000- Snow Bowl
    2001- Egg Bowl
    2004- Tulane
    2004- Florida
    2005- Egg Bowl
    2006- Alabama
    2009- Kentucky
    2009- Egg Bowl
    2013- Egg Bowl
    2013- Liberty Bowl
    2015- Arkansas
    2016- Texas A&M
    2016- Egg Bowl
    2017- LSU
    2017- Kentucky
    2017- Texas A&M
    2017- Gator Bowl
    2018- Auburn
    2018- Texas A&M
    2018- Arkansas
    2018- Egg Bowl
    2019- Piss and Miss

vCash
    great post Todd .... the 2007 got me to thinking (without doing research because I'm lazy) ..... isn't Croom one (if not the only) of our coaches to beat Bama back to back ? ... seems like it was against Shula and the next year against Saban

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    great post Todd .... the 2007 got me to thinking (without doing research because I'm lazy) ..... isn't Croom one (if not the only) of our coaches to beat Bama back to back ? ... seems like it was against Shula and the next year against Saban
    Sherrill best then three years in a row from 96-98.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Sherrill best then three years in a row from 96-98.
    Yep and 96-2000 is 4 of 5. 97-2000 is best 4 year stretch in Bulldog football with no debate.