Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ifyouonlyknew.....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm not sold on Matthew Mitchell, good Coach but I think he had his chance. I have no idea if Walz or Graves would be interested but they are two top Coaches. What about Johnnie Harris?
    Yea, I would not consider Mitchell among the elite college coaches and if we can't get a top of the line head coach I think I would prefer to give Harris a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Mitchell has 3 Elite 8's & 2 Sweer 16's hes a really good coach. I don't fault him not taking the job the last go around. He had a better job why go backwards. Now it's a step up.

Me personally I wouldn't hire Johnnie. Nothing against her but I think we should be past hiring a career assistant with no HC experience. McCray is a younger Johnnie with 3yrs of HC experience. I just don't see the need to reach on Johnnie. I'm not willing to just keep this current roster together at the expense of our program potentially suffering 4-5yrs down the line.
    The biggest piece of college basketball is recruiting. If Harris is the biggest force behind the recruiting classes we have been bringing in, which is what I hear, then she deserves a shot. Plus we already know she can develop player skills.

vCash
    I mean we were already outspending most P5 teams. Adding a few more hundred thousands isn't a stretch.
    Agree, and Cohen wants a championship and we have a program knocking on the door.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    The biggest piece of college basketball is recruiting. If Harris is the biggest force behind the recruiting classes we have been bringing in, which is what I hear, then she deserves a shot. Plus we already know she can develop player skills.
    Coach Harris....has proven to be 1 of women's college basketball's top recruiters.

Also, Coach Lovato is a very good recruiter as well.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-07-2020 at 09:11 PM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Or we could hire a good HC who is also a great recruiter (IE: Walz or McCray).

vCash
    Or we could hire a good HC who is also a great recruiter (IE: Walz or McCray).
    I would love one of those.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    You have to shoot for the big fish 1st Jeff Walz & Kelly Graves. If they don't bite I think you go to Matthew Mitchell & hope he wants to come home. If those don't pan out I go hire Nikki McCray.
    I thought it was Walz>Mcray>Harris??
    No Signature

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    If those are the 3 candidates then that's how it should go.

vCash
    Three good candidates regardless. Nobody should end up disappointed.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Three good candidates regardless. Nobody should end up disappointed.
    Yep

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    At this point, that's how I would approach it. Unlikely to get waltz but why not try. McRay is like Johnnie but with experience. If she can recruit then approach her second and then offer Harris if that doesn't work for whatever reason

vCash
    Read where Jeff Walz indicated that he has not been offered the Miss. State coaching job.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-08-2020 at 08:51 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Read where Jeff Walz indicated that he has not been offered the Miss. State coaching job.
    Probably still doing the interviews so it can be a "complete" search. I don't disagree because we don't want someone to turn it down and not know the direction to go next . That being said it should be obvious which direction we should go. Also that night be a good sign. If they are working out a deal, hopefully he has enough respect for his girls that he wants to tell them first before he tweets out a picture of him with a cowbell.

vCash
    Feel like it will end up being McCray. Just have a hard time seeing Walz making the move, and apparently McCray is higher on our pecking order than Harris.