Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ifyouonlyknew.....

vCash

Ifyouonlyknew.....

Who you got as the next women's BB Coach? Or what you are hearing, I did hear we interviewed the Old Dominican Coach. I saw a youtube video of her, very impressive!

vCash
    I'd be down with McCray. Love her or hate her, but Dawn Staley endorsing you says a lot

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    You have to shoot for the big fish 1st Jeff Walz & Kelly Graves. If they don't bite I think you go to Matthew Mitchell & hope he wants to come home. If those don't pan out I go hire Nikki McCray.

vCash
    10 years in the Pro's, her resume is pretty impressive, she seems to have some "swag"!

vCash
    Looks like she's Staley's Johnnie.
    Look at her record.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikki_McCray

Only downside is her leaving for Tennessee when things get going. Worth the risk unless there is someone else very successful that is a big name and good coach that doesn't have ties to a place they'd leave for. Get the best person but if you have to pick between a couple that are ultimately the same, get the person that is likely to stay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    You have to shoot for the big fish 1st Jeff Walz & Kelly Graves. If they don't bite I think you go to Matthew Mitchell & hope he wants to come home. If those don't pan out I go hire Nikki McCray.
    I'm not sold on Matthew Mitchell, good Coach but I think he had his chance. I have no idea if Walz or Graves would be interested but they are two top Coaches. What about Johnnie Harris?

vCash
    Supposedly, we're making a run at Jeff Walz. It's gonna take a chunk of cash to get him away from Louisville but if you can get him, you don't miss a beat in terms of competing for the SEC

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    I'm not sold on Matthew Mitchell, good Coach but I think he had his chance. I have no idea if Walz or Graves would be interested but they are two top Coaches. What about Johnnie Harris?
    Mitchell has 3 Elite 8's & 2 Sweer 16's hes a really good coach. I don't fault him not taking the job the last go around. He had a better job why go backwards. Now it's a step up.

Me personally I wouldn't hire Johnnie. Nothing against her but I think we should be past hiring a career assistant with no HC experience. McCray is a younger Johnnie with 3yrs of HC experience. I just don't see the need to reach on Johnnie. I'm not willing to just keep this current roster together at the expense of our program potentially suffering 4-5yrs down the line.

vCash
    Walz is from Kentucky and Graves is from Utah, which is more like Oregon than MS. We are going to have to seriously out spend most any P5 schools to lure a top flight coach here.

Don’t see it happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post
    Walz is from Kentucky and Graves is from Utah, which is more like Oregon than MS. We are going to have to seriously out spend most any P5 schools to lure a top flight coach here.

Don’t see it happening.
    I mean we were already outspending most P5 teams. Adding a few more hundred thousands isn't a stretch.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AlSwearengen View Post

Don’t see it happening.
    Regardless some HC's gonna get some raises.

vCash
    Mitchell has 3 Elite 8's & 2 Sweer 16's hes a really good coach. I don't fault him not taking the job the last go around. He had a better job why go backwards. Now it's a step up.

Me personally I wouldn't hire Johnnie. Nothing against her but I think we should be past hiring a career assistant with no HC experience. McCray is a younger Johnnie with 3yrs of HC experience. I just don't see the need to reach on Johnnie. I'm not willing to just keep this current roster together at the expense of our program potentially suffering 4-5yrs down the line.
    I can somewhat agree in what u are thinking and saying. I don't think Harris is gonna get it the job now either. I do wish we could keep Harris because of her experience at Msu. I know it's me, but I can't see Walz or Graves leaving, maybe I am wrong.
    After reviewing McCray's resume and watching they youtube, see has some really good qualities for a HC. Her Pro experience could be a big plus. I read the "rumors" on Mitchel back in 2016 with assistants and players leaving, something bad was wrong with his program, too much drama for me.

vCash
    I love the system Graves runs but it's harder to recruit to and I'm worried about culture shock. He'd be my #1 and his head assistant should get a call as well.

After him is Walz and then after that I don't honestly know.

McCrary-Penson did a nice turnaround at Old Dominion on paper and the video I watched makes her seem like a good candidate as well. She has the pedigree and now some HC experience. Johnnie is a wild card to me because I don't think I've ever heard her speak and so all I have to go on is her reputation. She might well be the best in terms of fit, but I just have nothing to go on other than Vic loves her.

I'm not against someone with a great assistant record even if they have limited or no HC experience if you think they are the right person.

There's no guaranteed formula for success unless you find a top flight person with a good track record of success.

vCash

He's only had two sweet 16s since 2013. The TX coach that was fired had like 4. His average SEC record is 10-6 in that time frame too. He'd be behind McCray for me. Never been impressed with him.
    I'd beg Walz. He'll be a tough pull. I don't see Kelly as a real option. But he's a Cohen type ****** hire. McCray and Johnnie after them. Johnnie would have to blow me away and have a hell of a plan and staff ready.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 04-07-2020 at 04:22 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    He's only had two sweet 16s since 2013. The TX coach that was fired had like 4. His average SEC record is 10-6 in that time frame too. He'd be behind McCray for me. Never been impressed with him.
    I'd beg Walz. He'll be a tough pull. I don't see Kelly as a real option. But he's a Cohen type ****** hire. McCray and Johnnie after them. Johnnie would have to blow me away and have a hell of a plan and staff ready.
    True but I do think he had a Sweet 16 team this year.

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    If only Howland could coach the women! *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    If only Howland could coach the women! *
    At times I thought he was.**

vCash
    This is setting up like the baseball coaching search.

You have the two “big fish” in Kelly Graves and Jeff Walz. They are the analogs to Jim Schlossnagel and Dan McDonnell.

Then there is the local guy who can come home to coach. For this search, that is Matthew Mitchell. For the baseball search, it was Butch Thompson. Both made statements early in the process about being committed to where they are currently at.

Then you have the current head coach who comes with high recommendation. For this search, that is Nikki McCray-Penson, who is getting recommended by Dawn Staley. For baseball, that was Chris Lemonis, who was highly recommended by Dan McDonnell.

Then there is the internal promotion, though with some differences. Gary Henderson came in as a guy with head coaching experience while Johnnie Harris lacks that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    This is setting up like the baseball coaching search.

You have the two “big fish” in Kelly Graves and Jeff Walz. They are the analogs to Jim Schlossnagel and Dan McDonnell.

Then there is the local guy who can come home to coach. For this search, that is Matthew Mitchell. For the baseball search, it was Butch Thompson. Both made statements early in the process about being committed to where they are currently at.

Then you have the current head coach who comes with high recommendation. For this search, that is Nikki McCray-Penson, who is getting recommended by Dawn Staley. For baseball, that was Chris Lemonis, who was highly recommended by Dan McDonnell.

Then there is the internal promotion, though with some differences. Gary Henderson came in as a guy with head coaching experience while Johnnie Harris lacks that.
    Lots of parallels for sure. Also the team Lemonis walked into and the team the new WBB coach will walk into was/is loaded with talent and poised to contend immediately. That is if we can keep Rickea from leaving
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 04-07-2020 at 07:33 PM.

vCash
    Van Chancellor ****