Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cohen, this is an easy one

vCash

Cohen, this is an easy one

All you need to do is
    1 call in the girls team to your office and individually ask everyone on that team their opinion on who they'd like to see as a coach and what they think about Johnnie Harris (that way the girls all feel like they are part of the decision and likely stay)
    2 ask Harris what it would take for her to stay and what staff she'd hold on to (and give them all significant raises to keep them; I appreciate what CVS did but he's dead to us now).

This does many things.
    One helps hold on to your players and make them feel part of the decision. They will respect the school and feel like family. This will help recruiting
    Two hopefully allows us to hold on to a handful of staff before they sign with Texas.
    Three gives Harris a loaded roster to learn from and help continue to build her name and continue her amazing job at recruiting.

Do not, I repeat, do not draw this coaching search out. You will lose out on retaining our current staff and recruits.

Worse case scenario with hiring Harris is we are good but not great. Still hold our name as a good women's team while recruiting well. If she can't do it then move on from Harris. Like someone said, if we do slip on this hire it will help bring attention back to the men's basketball fan base and even out attendance. Also the floor is low in the short term so we'd still be able to climb right back if we needed to move on from her.

In short: I think getting Harris and keeping critical staff is the best option but we must do so quickly. Potential of a home run hire with little downside in the next few years.

vCash
    I disagree.

I'm not against Harris at all, but she MUST have the correct personality.

Many times loved assistants are the player's friend while the head coach is the disciplinarian. Those assistants don't work out.

If Cohen can get a big time head coach & you know that's what he wants after whiffing on Joe & Canny, he has to hire the big time head coach over Harris.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    If it would mean that we keep all of this talent that is currently on the roster, I say promote Johnnie Harris.
    I've met her and she's awesome.

vCash
    Well let's put it this way, like you said before, Cohen should know her personally. If she's got the right one then let's not wait.

*Maybe not come to his office but call them #corona

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    If it would mean that we keep all of this talent that is currently on the roster, I say promote Johnnie Harris.
    Having consistency on the staff would also help her starting as a new head coach as well. She'd be limited on having to coach up a new staff. I'm not saying not to hire some new people but I would not like the hire as much if we don't retain some staff that could help her get things going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I successful head coach would also likely keep the current talent.

vCash
    Dear Cohen,

Don't hire someone that needs a learning curve!

Thanks,

'Gun

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Dear Cohen,

Don't hire someone that needs a learning curve!

Thanks,

'Gun
    Two of the better HC hirings, Vic and Dan say "Hold My Beer Gun". You did say in 50 years Cohen will be known for moving on, well if Harris is our next "use to be assistant" who stays 8 or 9 years, would you say Cohen was right?

vCash
    Listened to The Boneyard, and Steve said Johnnie was the good cop to Vic's bad cop. We don't need someone soft.

vCash
    Johnnie is a viable option but she is not the only viable option. Don?t be shocked if we go another direction, even if it?s not a big name.

vCash
    Some make good points - if she was good cop can she transition to having to be "bad cop" sometimes. What if none of the existing staff would stay with her and they're all going with Vic? Lots of questions to be answered over the next few days. I couldn't find a single video interview with Harris so I've got zero to base any decision off of.

We're going to have some good choices because every top assistant in the country will want this job and many sitting HC will want it as well. It's a top 10 job in my opinion as we're a place that has shown we'll embrace the sport and pack the house for a winner. We were 5th in the nation in attendance 2018-2019 and 7th the year before that. Plus we've proven we can recruit nationally.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Some make good points - if she was good cop can she transition to having to be "bad cop" sometimes. What if none of the existing staff would stay with her and they're all going with Vic? Lots of questions to be answered over the next few days. I couldn't find a single video interview with Harris so I've got zero to base any decision off of.
    She doesn?t have the charisma the Vic has but definitely has a personality of someone you can respect. She?s done a lot of postgame interviews for radio and she comes across as a bit reserved but very knowledgeable.

You could put the words ?Teaira McCowan? on her resume and nothing else and that may be enough for her to deserve the job. Big T was 10000% her masterpiece, from recruitment all the way through her development.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    All you need to do is
    1 call in the girls team to your office and individually ask everyone on that team their opinion on who they'd like to see as a coach
    What if all the players say they want Dawn Staley?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    All you need to do is
    1 call in the girls team to your office and individually ask everyone on that team their opinion on who they'd like to see as a coach and what they think about Johnnie Harris (that way the girls all feel like they are part of the decision and likely stay)
    2 ask Harris what it would take for her to stay and what staff she'd hold on to (and give them all significant raises to keep them; I appreciate what CVS did but he's dead to us now).

This does many things.
    One helps hold on to your players and make them feel part of the decision. They will respect the school and feel like family. This will help recruiting
    Two hopefully allows us to hold on to a handful of staff before they sign with Texas.
    Three gives Harris a loaded roster to learn from and help continue to build her name and continue her amazing job at recruiting.

Do not, I repeat, do not draw this coaching search out. You will lose out on retaining our current staff and recruits.

Worse case scenario with hiring Harris is we are good but not great. Still hold our name as a good women's team while recruiting well. If she can't do it then move on from Harris. Like someone said, if we do slip on this hire it will help bring attention back to the men's basketball fan base and even out attendance. Also the floor is low in the short term so we'd still be able to climb right back if we needed to move on from her.

In short: I think getting Harris and keeping critical staff is the best option but we must do so quickly. Potential of a home run hire with little downside in the next few years.
    Good lawd...NO!

vCash
    I think JoMo was an example of this. The players seemed to love him and love playing for him but he too much friend and not enough "parent" to run a team. He was good as an OC where he just ran his group and overall discipline / culture was established by someone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Two of the better HC hirings, Vic and Dan say "Hold My Beer Gun". You did say in 50 years Cohen will be known for moving on, well if Harris is our next "use to be assistant" who stays 8 or 9 years, would you say Cohen was right?
    And then you have Rick Ray, Joe Moorhead, and Andy Cannizzaro. We're batting .500 here which is probably decent given that we usually hire assistants but there is a reason why every job ad says "experience preferred".

vCash
    Asking the girls who they want is the last thing you'd want to do.

We don't want to drag the search out, but then we don't want to hire somebody just because the team likes them.

vCash
    Maybe it's just the Moorhead hire still lingering with me, but I think most would prefer to go the route of someone who's been a HC before and knows how to run a program. You also have to remember that Vic was a HC at Sam Houston St before joining Gary Blair's staff. He knew what it took to run a program and had been under one of the better coaches in the women's game for a number of years. Just as Dan had been under Urban and knew how a successful program is run. I'm not against Harris, but don't let the players wanting her to be the coach be the reason you hire her.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And then you have Rick Ray, Joe Moorhead, and Andy Cannizzaro. We're batting .500 here which is probably decent given that we usually hire assistants but there is a reason why every job ad says "experience preferred".
    Joe had HC experience at one time, AC, well if he would have kept things in the correct place he probably would still be our Coach. RR, failure indeed.

vCash
    Rosebowl says that Vick was the bad cop & Harris the good cop.

That's concerning to me unless Harris has the ability to turn into a bad cop while not being fraudulent