Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Vic was GREAT for us, but..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    The desire to go home for him was clear from the beginning. Many said during his time at MSU that if TAMU came open he would take it.

Money cant overcome the urge to go home. If you've ever lived away from home and have strong ties to home, money doesn't matter. I can speak to that when my wife and I got to move back to my home after she graduated from veterinary school.

We offered Vic 5 years 10 million dollars. He declined it. Because we can't offer him home. He's older, has kids, and one day they will have kids. Guy is going to a prestigious university that has ties to where he grew up. Some times you can't compete with that. Sucks but welcome to life. People do that every single day in every single working sector across the country.

Don't hammer the guy. Be happy we got 8 years of program changing coaching from probably the best coach that's ever stepped on our campus and understand why things happen. I'm never going to take it personally when someone wants to be closer to home. Some people think money talks. When you talk about home and family, money doesn't matter many times.

Happy for coach and thankful for the time we got to have him. Hope we can learn from his tenure here.
    Spot on. Well said.

vCash
    The desire to go home for him was clear from the beginning. Many said during his time at MSU that if TAMU came open he would take it.

Money cant overcome the urge to go home. If you've ever lived away from home and have strong ties to home, money doesn't matter. I can speak to that when my wife and I got to move back to my home after she graduated from veterinary school.

We offered Vic 5 years 10 million dollars. He declined it. Because we can't offer him home. He's older, has kids, and one day they will have kids. Guy is going to a prestigious university that has ties to where he grew up. Some times you can't compete with that. Sucks but welcome to life. People do that every single day in every single working sector across the country.

Don't hammer the guy. Be happy we got 8 years of program changing coaching from probably the best coach that's ever stepped on our campus and understand why things happen. I'm never going to take it personally when someone wants to be closer to home. Some people think money talks. When you talk about home and family, money doesn't matter many times.

Happy for coach and thankful for the time we got to have him. Hope we can learn from his tenure here.
    Great attitude, so just be happy we got what we did from Vic, dont question it or be upset? Alot of us are from Mississippi so we should just bow down and be happy because we got him for all those years right?? That attitude is why we are where we are in everything and not just including sports... I personally am not happy for Vic, I can say I understand and respect it but I'm not happy for anyone leaving our program especially this particular program with that talent . I wont lie and act like I'm happy for him because I'm not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    And people call me negative.

This is as negative as an MSU fan can possibly be.
    Hold my dark cloud! We ain't gonna be doing what we've been used to doing in women's hoops anymore. I'm not saying we're gonna be Ole Miss anytime soon, but it's ****ing over.

vCash
    I still can't quite wrap my head around this. He built a program into a national powerhouse, assembled the most talent he's ever had, and then set fire to it. WTF?

vCash
    Maybe he didnt like working for Cohen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    I still can't quite wrap my head around this. He built a program into a national powerhouse, assembled the most talent he's ever had, and then set fire to it. WTF?
    Exactly what Mullen did.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    Great attitude, so just be happy we got what we did from Vic, dont question it or be upset? Alot of us are from Mississippi so we should just bow down and be happy because we got him for all those years right?? That attitude is why we are where we are in everything and not just including sports... I personally am not happy for Vic, I can say I understand and respect it but I'm not happy for anyone leaving our program especially this particular program with that talent . I wont lie and act like I'm happy for him because I'm not.
    I just don't get this attitude. Dude is a damn grown man. Not only can he do whatever he wants, but he's actually got a reason for leaving.

I think in sports we too emotional and forget that we are dealing with humans that have desires and wishes too. We think everyone should be loyal to OUR program for their entire life while we change jobs and look for better situations all the time in our own life.

Literally makes no sense. This to me is the ugly side of fans. I get being upset he's gone. I'm upset too. Guy was the best coach we've ever had on our campus. But he's going home. How can you fault the guy for that? Who cares how much talent we have? That should further drive home the point that this wasn't about us.

vCash
    As I understand he has elderly parents (from a previous post) that live in Austin, yeah I can understand it. I wish I had those years with my parents.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Exactly what Mullen did.
    Yup. I actually thought Vic would stay though. I knew Mullen had one foot out the door. Vic was the only coach that I actually thought would stay. It's obvious now that his plan was always to get back to Texas.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Leeshouldveflanked View Post
    Maybe he didnt like working for Cohen.
    Your dislike for Cohen is very apparent. Do you work for him?
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Your dislike for Cohen is very apparent. Do you work for him?
    Do you?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Do you?
    The way I picture you right now is like a little child standing in the corner with her arms crossed, lip stuck out throwing a tantrum and screaming "it's not fair!".

vCash
    How many of our current roster he takes with him?

vCash
    I've got to be honest. Vic looked tired this year. I don't know what is going on with him but he wanted to get back home and I can't blame him. I understand it.

WITH THAT SAID: We are in the same position that we were in when Mullen left. Program built. Poised to make the next step. Cohen can't **** this up. It needs to be a GREAT hire and a GREAT recruiter. we can give them whatever money they want. Just keep the trajectory upward. With the team we have and the class we have coming in a good/great coach should still be able to make a solid run next year.

vCash
    Hire Johnnie Harris.....
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Hire Harris with her commitment to retain some component of the assistants if possible. Remember, it was Durrett-Jackson that persuaded Vic to change to zone against Vandy when it was desperately needed in that game. Several of them have ability. The problem may be Vic having large dollars to take several of those with him to Austin.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    The way I picture you right now is like a little child standing in the corner with her arms crossed, lip stuck out throwing a tantrum and screaming "it's not fair!".

He lives in his own little MSU sports fantasy world. He wants the athletic department personnel to do things he wants to see done or he doesn't want the athletic department personnel to do things he doesn't want done. He has no clue or plan on how to accomplish what he wants or doesn't want. He will just keep on bitching, griping and complaining. Wash, rinse and repeat.

vCash
    I would attempt to hire a proven head coach before hiring Harris.

We have no idea if Harris will be a good head coach
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I just don't get this attitude. Dude is a damn grown man. Not only can he do whatever he wants, but he's actually got a reason for leaving.

I think in sports we too emotional and forget that we are dealing with humans that have desires and wishes too. We think everyone should be loyal to OUR program for their entire life while we change jobs and look for better situations all the time in our own life.

Literally makes no sense. This to me is the ugly side of fans. I get being upset he's gone. I'm upset too. Guy was the best coach we've ever had on our campus. But he's going home. How can you fault the guy for that? Who cares how much talent we have? That should further drive home the point that this wasn't about us.
    I actually get everything you are saying and agree with most of it, but as a loyal fan of a team you grow up watching it's hard to sit back and be ok with the best coach in program history leaving like that, and you are 100% correct he is a grown man and can make his own decisions, for me its still hard to understand leaving so much on the table, I do have all the respect in the world for the guy, just disappointed he left us.

vCash
    It sucks. I don’t necessarily blame him for going home but I don’t understand leaving at this point. Timing seems odd.

I do know this. The way he wants to talk to and patronize the opposing coach after whipping their ass will really get on my nerves now that he’s not one of us.