Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Vic was GREAT for us, but..

vCash

Vic was GREAT for us, but..

I take it personal for him leaving our program and this team with all the talent we have. I understand he is from Texas and will be going home but he built a National Powerhouse at MSU, you would think he would take pride in completely changing an entire program around. Next years roster has the potential to be a National title contender if we can keep it together, Vic and his staff went up to Detroit to convince the 1st McDonald's All American Rickea Jackson to come way down to Mississippi, he did the same with Sidney Cooks and convinced her to come to MSU from Michigan State, she had plenty of offers when transferring, we are bringing in another McDonald's All American this year... Plus all the other talent that has been brought in over the years.. It's not like he never had success while there.. Then all of a sudden he leaves this team, with all this talent and a bunch of girls who could have almost gone anywhere in the country. This wouldn't happen at UCONN, Baylor, Tennessee, Stanford etc. Who would leave that type of talent? I respect what Vic did for our program and he was an Amazing coach for us, but it is very upsetting to feel like we aren't "good enough"... some will disagree and use the going back home card but why leave so much history that he made that had never been done.. he had all of the pieces at State..this is why I feel like Johnnie Harris is the best hire, these girls know her and were all recruited by her.. she can potentially save this and she also mentioned being a head coach one day. Just my humble opinion

vCash
    Some folks need to realize Starkville, MS and MSU aren't destination jobs except for coaches taking that first big step up with aspirations of more. And coaches looking to prove more later in their careers.

vCash
    Great post.

My only thought is that he really wanted to be near his family. Maybe there are health reasons. Who knows.

However, this is why you fire every coach that doesn't win and show very little loyalty. Win or be fired.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Some folks need to realize Starkville, MS and MSU aren't destination jobs except for coaches taking that first big step up with aspirations of more.
    And people call me negative.

This is as negative as an MSU fan can possibly be.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

If you can't see it's fact, I can't help you. And as long as they win, who cares?

vCash

It's true tho except maybe in baseball or if we luck up and hire an outstanding coach that went to MSU and is from Mississippi.

vCash
    At this point I am convinced Chad Bumphis will become a world class coach, come here, get us to the door step of National prominence, and then Auburn will call and take him away.....

vCash
    I dont see Dawn Staley ever leaving South Carolina, I dont see McGraw leaving Notre Dame, Kim Mulkey wont leave Baylor, Geno surely wont leave UCONN.. the list can go on, but we have a great coach who built a great program leaving.... Again I don't care if it's for his home state, all those coaches aren't coaching in their home state either and you better believe offers went their respective ways at some point

vCash
    If you can't see it's fact, I can't help you. And as long as they win, who cares?
    I don't think it is a fact. I think we can get there.

I refuse to accept limitations to our university. So yes, I may bitch & complain about things but it's because I know we can do better which a fair more positive & optimistic attitude than becoming apathetic due to accepting limitations.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    It's true tho except maybe in baseball or if we luck up and hire an outstanding coach that went to MSU and is from Mississippi.
    It's historically true, but it doesn't mean it has to be in the future.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCMSTFAN View Post
    I dont see Dawn Staley ever leaving South Carolina, I dont see McGraw leaving Notre Dame, Kim Mulkey wont leave Baylor, Geno surely wont leave UCONN.. the list can go on, but we have a great coach who built a great program leaving.... Again I don't care if it's for his home state, all those coaches aren't coaching in their home state either and you better believe offers went their respective ways at some point
    South Bend is a shit hole. How come they don't lose coaches?

vCash
    Good grief, coaching is a profession not a marriage. Some of you think that if you aren't working for the same company that you joined right out of school then you must be a disloyal piece of crap.

vCash
    South Bend is a shit hole. How come they don't lose coaches?
    Mississippi State and Starkville are nowhere in the same ballpark as Notre Dame and South Bend. I love State as much as anybody and Starkville has definitely gotten better over the years, but Starkville is just not an attractive place to live for many people, and for several reasons. I hope that this does change and I think we're going in the right direction for the most part but it just is what it is.

vCash
    Efff that. Get out of here with that shit
    Yes- that Behr

vCash
    Some folks need to realize Starkville, MS and MSU aren't destination jobs except for coaches taking that first big step up with aspirations of more. And coaches looking to prove more later in their careers.
    He?s 59 years old. Seems silly to leave to ?go home? and abandon a program that he literally built.

He?s gonna be a old duffer in Austin.

Not arguing with your logic. Just saying, a 59 year old dude in Las Vegas is the same as a 59 year old in Erie, PA. They don?t sell better CPAP supplies in Austin or have a different selection at Joseph A Banks. Same ugly shit.

Could be a wife thing. She could have some bunco night thing with some greasy gang in Austin.

vCash
    Starkville, MS or Austin, Tx

End game

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    He?s 59 years old. Seems silly to leave to ?go home? and abandon a program that he literally built.

He?s gonna be a old duffer in Austin.

Not arguing with your logic. Just saying, a 59 year old dude in Las Vegas is the same as a 59 year old in Erie, PA. They don?t sell better CPAP supplies in Austin or have a different selection at Joseph A Banks. Same ugly shit.

Could be a wife thing. She could have some bunco night thing with some greasy gang in Austin.
    There's no comparison between UT and Austin to State and Starkville. Especially when you're closer to family. He's was headed to TX first big shot he got.

vCash
    Lifelong Mississippian (except for 3 years in NC when I was 12-15) and I can say that MS is generally a shit hole. Young coaches with kids won’t like the schools. Coach’s wives who want to do something other than sit in the house probably won’t be happy. I could go on and on.

I just hope this doesn’t bleed over into baseball.

vCash
    Lifelong Mississippian (except for 3 years in NC when I was 12-15) and I can say that MS is generally a shit hole. Young coaches with kids won?t like the schools. Coach?s wives who want to do something other than sit in the house probably won?t be happy. I could go on and on.

I just hope this doesn?t bleed over into baseball.

vCash
    The desire to go home for him was clear from the beginning. Many said during his time at MSU that if TAMU came open he would take it.

Money cant overcome the urge to go home. If you've ever lived away from home and have strong ties to home, money doesn't matter. I can speak to that when my wife and I got to move back to my home after she graduated from veterinary school.

We offered Vic 5 years 10 million dollars. He declined it. Because we can't offer him home. He's older, has kids, and one day they will have kids. Guy is going to a prestigious university that has ties to where he grew up. Some times you can't compete with that. Sucks but welcome to life. People do that every single day in every single working sector across the country.

Don't hammer the guy. Be happy we got 8 years of program changing coaching from probably the best coach that's ever stepped on our campus and understand why things happen. I'm never going to take it personally when someone wants to be closer to home. Some people think money talks. When you talk about home and family, money doesn't matter many times.

Happy for coach and thankful for the time we got to have him. Hope we can learn from his tenure here.