Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coach Johnnie Harris

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeuteredDawg View Post
    She is headed to TX. It?s Starkville guys. Equal money people would rather live elsewhere.
    I worry about this too, but in an article written back in 2018 when she won Assistant coach of the year, she did mention being a Head Coach one day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Serrano to Tennessee is a pretty good one.

I still think Cal from Memphis to KY is the closest here.
    What? UK is the gold standard for basketball, Memphis eh good 4-5 times in history. Vic to UConn would be like Cal Memphis to UK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NeuteredDawg View Post
    She is headed to TX. It?s Starkville guys. Equal money people would rather live elsewhere.
    If we hire her for HC its not going to be equal money nor will it be an equal position. If we don't hire her for HC then I think there is little doubt she will stick with Vic.

vCash
    I think everyone would be ok with Johnnie if we can't get a proven top flight HC.

vCash
    She's earned the right for a serious interview at the very least. And yes, if we offer her a HC job I would think that would be substantially more than her salary as an assistant anywhere

vCash
    Also would have a better chance to keep all of our players in place and possible recruits. Fan base is familiar with her as well and will still support.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I think everyone would be ok with Johnnie if we can't get a proven top flight HC.
    Who are some “top flight” names you’ve heard we will entertain? I’d personally give it to Johnnie unless we can get someone like Graves from Oregon, Walz (?) from Louisville, or Mitchell but I think I’d give it to Johnnie personally over Mitchell. Only thing that’d sway me to Mitchell is the HC experience because whoever we hire does not need to be going through trial runs with the talent we will have the next several years (kinda like handing Joe our ‘18 football talent, even though he had low level HC experience). But I think Johnnie would make an excellent HC and would keep some continuity with players to keep from transferring and she’s played a big part in building the machine.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    I believe Vic said at one time she was the most important piece to keeping his deal rolling. So I think she would be a great hire and in turn he loses her as an assistant which makes Texas harder to build for him and she probably keeps a few of his assistants also. That would be huge in continuity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    I believe Vic said at one time she was the most important piece to keeping his deal rolling. So I think she would be a great hire and in turn he loses her as an assistant which makes Texas harder to build for him and she probably keeps a few of his assistants also. That would be huge in continuity.
    We hired away sitting HCs in baseball and football recently. No reason we can't in women's basketball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by trojandawg View Post
    Agreed. If we can't pull in one of the top 10-12 coaches in the country, Harris is most definitely the safe hire.

vCash
    Also, Coach J. Harris has been a big key to bringing in top recruits at both Texas A&M and.Miss. State. She's been key to bringing in Miss. State's past talent....including Teaira McCowan. Bringing in the talented freshman class from this past season....Coach Harris was key.

Also, she currently has Miss. State in the mix for other top recruits.

Regardless Coach Schaefer leaving....Miss. State is already in very good shape with the current coaches, players, signees, recruits, ect. Program would do well to move forward with what they already have going on. Still on nationall championship contender level. Coach Johnnie Harris can hold this thing together.

Quite a few big name programs and coaches out there struggling to field teams that perform near at the level of Miss. State. And...even worst without the very top recruits.
    Last edited by jdelta02; 04-06-2020 at 09:25 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jdelta02 View Post
    Also, Coach J. Harris has been a big key to bringing in top recruits at both Texas A&M and.Miss. State. She's been key to bringing in Miss. State's past talent....including Teaira McCowan. Bringing in the talented freshman class from this past season....Coach Harris was key.

Also, she currently has Miss. State in the mix for other top recruits.

Regardless Coach Schaefer leaving....Miss. State is already in very good shape with the current coaches, players, signees, recruits, ect. Program would do well to move forward with what they already have going on. Still on nationall championship contender level. Coach Johnnie Harris can hold this thing together.

Quite a few big name programs and coaches out there struggling to field teams that perform near at the level of Miss. State. And...even worst without the very top recruits.
    Absolutely! Hire Johnnie Harris!
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Never saw this article in January, gives some insight: https://www.cdispatch.com/sports/article.asp?aid=78725

vCash
    She should be the only option.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    She should be the only option.
    She would be in my top 3 candidates. With the need for social distancing, interviewing people via video teleconferencing should make the process go quicker than his previous hires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    Absolutely! Hire Johnnie Harris!
    Hire Coach Mitchell and ABSOLUTELY hire Johnnie Harris as his #1 assistant...

vCash
    According to the article, Coach Harris was known as an ace recruiter at Texas A&M, and helped them bring in the #2, #3, #5, and #6 recruiting classes nationally. Also, she helped Miss. State bring in a top 5, 6 class nationally....with Rickea Jackson, Aliyah Matharu, and the other freshman. Mentions her being very good at player development and Xs and Os.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    Hire Coach Mitchell and ABSOLUTELY hire Johnnie Harris as his #1 assistant...
    Not sold on Mitchell because what success has he really had with KY??? Plus, why would Coach Harris leave Vic's side after 15 years to all of a sudden align with Mitchell?

Just make a strong, respectful push to give the reigns to Coach Harris and let's retain a few of her assistants already on the team.

vCash
    Anyone other than Johnnie Harris is a big risk. She recruited every girl on that team and is respected in the locker room, the relationship is already there, the trust is there, I wouldn't roll the dice with a "splash hire" because it may hurt us for years to come. What makes this so odd is that we have talent at every position and more talent available coming in next year, this IS NOT A REBUILD. I wouldn't break this train that's already in rolling, theres way too much talent to take a chance with someone new, you risk losing players and recruits. Even if Johnnie is not our future, with what we have on campus now and recruits coming in you keep her as the HC and if things dont work in a couple years, go another direction then. but dont derail what we have going

vCash
    Hire Johnnie Harris

She deserves her shot. She has been a huge part of the growth of our program. It is complement to how well run the program has been so hire from within it if she has the goal of being the head coach.

I don't know if there are 4 rosters more talented than ours.