Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Similar to other thread, name best MS basketball players you played against or saw

vCash

Similar to other thread, name best MS basketball players you played against or saw

Here are mine.

Point Guard - Tony Edmonds, 6' Corinth. Maybe best PG in state his senior year; signed with MSU but dropped out of school. He was cat quick and had great explosion to the hole.

2Guard - Tim Jumper, 6'3" Baldwyn. Most talented HS player I played against. Got a nickname "baby Jordan" not just for his looks (although he really looked like Jordan, walked like and even played a little like" Only played against him a few times. One game he stole ball and jumped over our forward for a 2 hand dunk. Soon as he stole the ball I started praying for our defender who was helpless. Jumper went to Olemiss and was SEC freshman of the year. He blew his kness out which ended his career ultimately.

Forward - Steve Davis, 6'6" Corinth - I was several years older than him and he was young when I was a senior. I got the best of him that one year but that was the only year I would have competed with him. He ended up at Olemiss and was also the SEC freshman of the year.

Center - David Foote, 6'6 New Albany - Lean and quick for a center. I did not see a lot of dominant centers in HS but he was one of the better ones.

Guard - Fred Stafford, 6'3", Biggersville - played against Fred a lot, had some good battles with him. They won state his senior year, he later played in JUCO NC game and lost to the Larry Johnson Stacy Augmon JUCO school. He later went to UNA and won a DII national championship. He got to play in old Boston Garden and was MVP of the NC game.

I could list a bunch more that didn't play college ball that were really, really good. Played against some really good players in some tourneys but don't remember their names. They were some of top teams in the state so they were probably a few big names.
    Last edited by R2Dawg; 03-31-2020 at 12:00 PM.

vCash
    I'm old but 2 of the best I ever saw in person were Derrick Mckey and Eddie Pope. I went to school at MHS and played baseball there. Derrick and Eddie had some tremendous battles against each other. The games between those 2 at that time was must see. Derrick went on to have a solid NBA career and I just saw where Eddie passed away recently. 2 of the best big men I ever saw in high school ball.

vCash
    It wasn't in Mississippi but I played a pickup game in South Carolina against Kevin Garnett when he was 17. He lived in Simpsonville SC at the time. Yeah he was good !

Senior Member William Tecumsah Sherman's Avatar
    vCash
    I played high school basketball at the same time as Monta Ellis played at Lanier. He was unbelievable.

vCash
    Forgot about playing with/against some guys at basketball camp. One Andy Kennedy comes to mind. Also got to shoot a few with Jeff Malone which was cool.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I played high school basketball at the same time as Monta Ellis played at Lanier. He was unbelievable.
    Monta could play even though I never saw him in person.

vCash
    Fellow Gulfport High alum, Chris Jackson, now Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by William Tecumsah Sherman View Post
    I was in the gym when Monta scored 72 on Greenwood. He was pulling up and draining it from the half court circle. Everyone on Greenwood's team took turns trying to guard him. The Greenwood crowd wasn't even mad, they were cheering in amazement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KentuckyDawg13 View Post
    Fellow Gulfport High alum, Chris Jackson, now Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf.
    Maybe best scoring guard to play college basketball. He was on fire every night.

vCash
    Not Mississippi but I played against Cedric Henderson (Memphis East). He was a McDonald's All American and had a good NBA career. He looked like an NBA player in high school.
    Last edited by gtowndawg; 04-02-2020 at 11:30 AM.

vCash
    Jason Campbell from Taylorsville. Auburn and NFL QB was best I ever played against. Pretty certain he could have played hoops at Auburn. 6'5 and could fill it up and throw it down. No emotion, whatsoever. Played completely level headed. His dad was their coach.
    Last edited by Red Clay Hills; 03-31-2020 at 09:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    It wasn't in Mississippi but I played a pickup game in South Carolina against Kevin Garnett when he was 17. He lived in Simpsonville SC at the time. Yeah he was good !
    Damn straight he was.

He made sure Howard Ratner won that parlay in the Eastern conference semifinal vs the Sixers.
    Last edited by MaroonFlounder; 04-01-2020 at 05:35 PM.

vCash
    I am Old--But-Randy Hodges-West Lauderdale--also a Bulldog--he would have killed it from 3 point line
    2. Marlon Murphy--Southeast Lauderdale--signed with the Braves but played basketball at Scooba Tech
    3. Wendell Ladner-from the Coast--a legend--when he died Dr J was a pall barer.
    4.Larry Guyton from Tupelo--also a Bulldog
    5.Waldo Quarles--from Dekalb-could score 30 every night--State champion in the Mile--also all state wr for Bull Sullivan at scooba Tech

vCash
    Played against Jerry Jenkins

vCash
    Darryl Wilson was playing pick up ball in the Tin Gym the fall after the final four. Ball of muscle

vCash
    Eric Moulds
    Steve McNair
    Moulds dunked and ripped the goal braces loose from the ceiling. Insulation came down with it too.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 04-02-2020 at 11:51 AM.

vCash
    I played Walter Packer in the old gym behind the boomerang dorms when we were freshmen.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Tom Shuberth ate my lunch one day in Tin gym

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezsoil View Post
    Tom Shuberth ate my lunch one day in Tin gym
    I Played against Shuberth in a pick up game-he didn't miss. he said we were too short to alter his shot.

vCash
    Lamar Sanders from Hickory Flat- SF/PF went on to play at a smaller school in Texas. I forgot the name, but he ultimately ended up playing some pro ball overseas.

Curry Todd from Byhalia- he?d drain from half court anytime he was left open. Not sure where he ended up.

Those two played against each other a lot in HS and ultimately ended up on the same JUCO team. Northwest, I believe.