Thread: Coach J.J. Plummer

vCash

Coach J.J. Plummer

I'm not linking to the CL but here is a copy of the story.

Richland football coach, former Mississippi State assistant tests positive for coronavirus

"It feels like a slow death, and it is absolutely the worst thing I have ever gone through in my life."

The Richland High School football coach has tested positive for COVID-19, he told the Clarion Ledger.

Speaking from St. Dominic Memorial Hospital in Jackson on Saturday, JJ Plummer said his symptoms began eight days ago when he developed a headache in his eye that lasted for five days. The aching made its way through his entire body, and he lost his appetite and experienced chills and night sweats.

Plummer, 47, tested positive for a virus five days after his symptoms began but results came back negative for the flu. There were no tests available for COVID-19 where he was, Plummer said, but the doctor didn't think the coach had coronavirus because he didn't have a fever or shortness of breath.

The coach went back to his home that night, and his temperature rose to 102.7 degrees, he said. The next morning, a doctor met Plummer in a parking lot and stuck two large sticks up his nose for a follow-up test. The results came back positive for COVID-19, and Plummer was told to go to the hospital.

He was admitted into St. Dominic Hospital in Jackson on Friday, and an examination also revealed he had pneumonia.

Since being admitted, Plummer said he has taken hydroxychloroquine. As of Saturday afternoon, a moderate amount of the pneumonia is gone, and he said he is feeling better.

"For all the people out there who think this thing is just like the flu, I've had the flu before and I've never had anything like this hit me," Plummer told the Clarion Ledger. "It feels like a slow death, and it is absolutely the worst thing I have ever gone through in my life."

While in the hospital, a patient who was near Plummer died, and the coach said he heard a priest enter the room and deliver a sermon.

"That's when I got scared as all-getout because it was like I was just waiting for my time," he said.

Plummer lives by himself in Brandon. His parents have self-quarantined in their house in Winona, he said. Plummer's daughter lives with his mother and has not been around him this month. Plummer talked on the phone Saturday with his son, who is in military boot camp.

"I told him not to let this hold him back at all," Plummer said. "If anything were to happen to me, either way, I'd be so proud of him finishing boot camp and making a soldier of himself."

The coach said his entire football team has reached out to him while he's been in the hospital.

"It means the world to me," Plummer said. "Times like this, you see how much of an impact teachers and coaches can make on students."

Plummer finished his first year at Richland in 2019 after serving as the head coach of Terry High School.

He has made many stops in his career, including Mississippi State. From 2001 to 2003, Plummer was a strong safety coach for the Bulldogs under former head coach Jackie Sherrill. Plummer said Sherrill has been in contact with him recently.

Plummer, who said he didn't have any preexisting conditions, said he has seen an outpouring of love since his positive test was announced on social media.

"I feel like I have the most wonderful best friends in the whole world," he said. "I am so appreciative of everybody thinking of me. I am so blessed by the good Lord to have those kind of people in my life."

vCash
    Hang in there coach ... May God bless
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.