Thread: Paleo Recruiting in Mississippi

vCash

Paleo Recruiting in Mississippi

If Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, Marcus Dupree and Walter Payton were a high school seniors today - what school would they sign with and how many stars would they be?

(1) Rice - Mississippi State - 4-stars due to small town
    (2) Favre - Memphis- 3-star due to size, Memphis higher profile than USM now
    (3) Payton - USM - 3 Star due to speed and we are not an i-formation school anymore
    (4) Dupree - Ole Miss - 5 stars, he was for sale, with Dupree they don?t need Payton

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    If Jerry Rice, Brett Favre, Marcus Dupree and Walter Payton were a high school seniors today - what school would they sign with and how many stars would they be?

(1) Rice - Mississippi State - 4-stars due to small town
    (2) Favre - Memphis- 3-star due to size, Memphis higher profile than USM now
    (3) Payton - USM - 3 Star due to speed and we are not an i-formation school anymore
    (4) Dupree - Ole Miss - 5 stars, he was for sale, with Dupree they don?t need Payton
    I know for a fact Ole Miss would not pay what Dupree would have wanted in today's money. I know for a fact that back in the 80's USM dropped out of the bidding for Dupree at 50K. I knew a very rich man back then who was in the know but a STate guy say it. He had no reason to bull shit. Dupree would have ended up somewhere else.

Mullen might have taken a chance on Farve and Payton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I know for a fact Ole Miss would not pay what Dupree would have wanted in today's money. I know for a fact that back in the 80's USM dropped out of the bidding for Dupree at 50K. I knew a very rich man back then who was in the know but a STate guy say it. He had no reason to bull shit. Dupree would have ended up somewhere else.

Your saying Favre and Payton would be Gators?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Your saying Favre and Payton would be Gators?
    No but Mullen would have given them a chance when he was at STate. Leach might would have given Farve a look.

vCash
    Rice- Is he at Starkville or West Oktibbeha? If he's at Starkville he's probably a 4 star and our fans would be talking about his slow 40 time and him maybe being a TE. Leach probably picks him up due to need. He would be lethal in the Air Raid. Didn't have some academic issues too? He's a hard worker but like most WR's he's also a prima donna so I can't totally rule out him going to Ole Miss. Local pressure plus Leach makes me think MSU.

Favre- He would be more obvious to recruit since he would be at St. Stanislaus, Oak Grove, or wherever his Dad would be coaching and probably running a spread instead of a wing-T. I think he would fit the Air Raid very well. And probably would have run something similar in high school. 4 star if he puts up big numbers like Dylan Favre and Myles Brennan.

Payton- He always seemed like a MSU type of player to me. Hard working. Tough. Blue collar. I don't think he would be limited to running back- I could see him possibly being a slot WR in today's game. He was built similarly to Kylin Hill though- so probably still a RB. Could run the wildcat and he was a very good blocker. He would have thrived with Leach. I know Ole Miss has some ins at Columbia but I don't think he would go there and he would thrive with Leach. 4 star.

Dupree- Had his hand out. 5 star probably goes to Alabama or Ole Miss. I think Ole Miss has upped their cheating game since 1982 and when they get infatuated with a recruit that can win them a press conference they go all in. Alabama makes more professional sense to me and I think his son went to Alabama for a short time. I don't think Leach's offense would have appealed as much to a big power back like him.

vCash
    No but Mullen would have given them a chance when he was at STate. Leach might would have given Farve a look.
    I can see Rice telling Dan no and Billy Gonzalez and Hev would have been recruiting him.

Favre isn't a dual threat.

Payton- yes.

Dupree- Dan doesn't play the recruiting game. See Cam Newton. Dan probably tells him to **** off and that he likes Brandon Holloway better anyway.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I can see Rice telling Dan no and Billy Gonzalez and Hev would have been recruiting him.

Favre isn't a dual threat.

Payton- yes.

Dupree- Dan doesn't play the recruiting game. See Cam Newton. Dan probably tells him to **** off and that he likes Brandon Holloway better anyway.
    I had to laugh a little at that ... I liked Holloway - he was a good bulldog but he was NOT a running fullback (I know we haven't had a fullback for 10 years - it's just a metaphor) ..... I don't know a lot about CML yet but I just don't see him trying to use Holloway the same way Mullen did.
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash

I can verify the USM story on Dupree. A good friend was one of their "big" donors and told me they dropped out after $50k. He said everytime they raised their bid, OK would go higher. Today, Ole Miss would not let anyone out bid them - so he would go there.

vCash
    I don?t think Dupree would be willing too wait a year or so to start. He?d prolly turn down the Charger....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    I think Rice had academic issues. That probably wouldn't have been a problem at Starkville high.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    I don?t think Dupree would be willing too wait a year or so to start. He?d prolly turn down the Charger....
    Dupree may have been the best running back talent ever. In high school, he weighed 240 lbs.,ran a 9.2 100 yard dash, had great cutting ability and field vision. If I remember correctly, he returned close to 80% of kickoffs for touchdowns his junior and senior year although opposing team just kicked it out of bounds all but a few times his senior year. Switzer, who had been dedicated to the wishbone, switched to an I formation for him his freshman year.

All to say, I doubt he would have had to wait a "year or two to start."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    Dupree may have been the best running back talent ever. In high school, he weighed 240 lbs.,ran a 9.2 100 yard dash, had great cutting ability and field vision. If I remember correctly, he returned close to 80% of kickoffs for touchdowns his junior and senior year although opposing team just kicked it out of bounds all but a few times his senior year. Switzer, who had been dedicated to the wishbone, switched to an I formation for him his freshman year.

Guys like Dupree would not worry about depth charts. Imagine never losing a race in your life and never seeing anybody that can match you, ever.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 03-25-2020 at 01:32 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post

This (*) was strongly implied.... good memory, buddy... dude was a phenom.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    I had to laugh a little at that ... I liked Holloway - he was a good bulldog but he was NOT a running fullback (I know we haven't had a fullback for 10 years - it's just a metaphor) ..... I don't know a lot about CML yet but I just don't see him trying to use Holloway the same way Mullen did.
    Holloway would have been great in space outside the tackles like we used him against Arkansas but no Dan has to show everyone how smart he is and try to pound him between the tackles.