Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Severe threat may be evolving this afternoon

vCash

Severe threat may be evolving this afternoon

I'll be honest, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the models lately so I'm a little late to the game on this one, but parts of MS north of Highway 82 look to have a severe threat this afternoon with all modes of severe weather being possible. As a warm gent lists north during the morning hours placing north MS in the warm sector, discrete supercells look to develop across north MS. Wind profiles suggest strong sheer and decent instability will also be present setting the stage for severe storm development. The SPC has placed north MS under a slight risk for severe storms this afternoon. If these trends continue I may be practicing my social distancing chasing storms this afternoon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    I'll be honest, I haven't been paying a lot of attention to the models lately so I'm a little late to the game on this one, but parts of MS north of Highway 82 look to have a severe threat this afternoon with all modes of severe weather being possible. As a warm gent lists north during the morning hours placing north MS in the warm sector, discrete supercells look to develop across north MS. Wind profiles suggest strong sheer and decent instability will also be present setting the stage for severe storm development. The SPC has placed north MS under a slight risk for severe storms this afternoon. If these trends continue I may be practicing my social distancing chasing storms this afternoon.
    Thank you as always my friend. I'll make sure my drivers and passengers are safe. You do the same.

vCash
    Latest update is indicating a potential increase in tornado threat for north AL late afternoon/evening. SPC is considering upgrading that area to an enhanced risk in a future update. But as the storms move out of MS and into AL, wind fields will become more favorable for tornadoes.

vCash
    Thanks for the info! Be safe out there!

vCash
    Here is a risk with virus and tornados - folks forced into close quarters. The were doing to give masks where I am at work as people are forced into shelters that are overcrowded (shoulder to shoulder). I don't think it is a good move right now. Life is a risk everywhere. Do you take a 1 in 10 million risk (tornado) or 1 in 100 risk with virus? I'll take the tornado risk and no shelter for 500 Alex.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by R2Dawg View Post
    Here is a risk with virus and tornados - folks forced into close quarters. The were doing to give masks where I am at work as people are forced into shelters that are overcrowded (shoulder to shoulder). I don't think it is a good move right now. Life is a risk everywhere. Do you take a 1 in 10 million risk (tornado) or 1 in 100 risk with virus? I'll take the tornado risk and no shelter for 500 Alex.
    The concensus thinking is if you go under a tornado warning that becomes the main threat and you protect yourself and family from that first. The SPC has upgraded extreme north AL and southern TN to an enhanced risk with strong tornadoes possible. If I were in that area I would take the best shelter possible if under a warning. But in the end it all comes down to personal choice and what you are more comfortable doing.

vCash
    That very subject has been addressed by our local EMA. The consensus seems to be to go to a community shelter if a warning is issued for your area. That doesn't make much sense since you're not supposed to be out driving around during a warning. But you've also got to check to see if a shelter is open in your vicinity.

I've never been to a community shelter and probably would not go. I seriously doubt there's enough space to accommodate everybody and it should be limited to folks who live in mobile homes, etc.

vCash
    The concensus thinking is if you go under a tornado warning that becomes the main threat and you protect yourself and family from that first. The SPC has upgraded extreme north AL and southern TN to an enhanced risk with strong tornadoes possible. If I were in that area I would take the best shelter possible if under a warning. But in the end it all comes down to personal choice and what you are more comfortable doing.

I'm in north Alabama, but we live in a house, and I'm also old enough to be in the "high risk" for COVID-19. And I've had heart bypass surgery. I'll take the tornado risk over the virus risk and just stay at home. We have a nice closet under the stairs that should withstand anything short of an upper end EF-4 (I hope).

vCash
    For those interested, I probably will have a live stream up at some point. One slight caveat, I'll be trying to do it over our chase team's YouTube page. If you've subscribed I hope you get a notification. If not, then search for NNSCAS and you should find it. I hope. I'm not the most tech savvy person around. If all that fails...see previous sentence...then I'll revert back to my twitter page.

vCash
    Those storms have developed across the northern tier of Mississippi and will soon move into Alabama.

Are you out chasing yet?

vCash
    Starkvegasdawg took a direct hit just now apparently. On his Twitter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Yep. In Tishomingo. Damn what a ride.

vCash
    he ok?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    he ok?
    I'm fine. Was a little nervous when parts of trees and buildings were bouncing off my truck.

vCash
    I'm fine. Was a little nervous when parts of trees and buildings were bouncing off my truck.
    Channel 48 just showed a picture of a Dollar General in Tishomingo that was litterally flattened.

vCash
    That's freakin awesome dude!!! Lol. My son sent me your twitter post.

vCash
    That's freakin awesome dude!!! Lol. My son sent me your twitter post.
    I saw his Twitter post, but searced YouTube and coudn't find him under NNSCAS search.

vCash
    It is about the odds. If I am in a trailer with an F5 on me, I probably go but otherwise not. My comparison is also not if you don't go to a crowed shelter you go stand in middle of a field. There are still safe areas to go but again the odds with this virus vs a lifetime with random tornado is pretty clear. Yes it is a personal decision and if some have a deep fear of tornados then that may be their choice.

We sent people home at work and can't be closer than 10ft but then a storm comes thru and we are going to put 200 people that no one knows who has virus or not literally face to face with each other with a circulating fan moving all the infected air to everyone. Totally stupid if you ask me. If it isn't stupid then the world is over reacting on this virus and we should all be pissed.

vCash
    Great video Starkvegasdawg!

Any reason why you guys decided to drive right through it? I thought the idea was to try and capture it from a safe distance. Am I mistaken?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Great video Starkvegasdawg!

Any reason why you guys decided to drive right through it? I thought the idea was to try and capture it from a safe distance. Am I mistaken?
    It wasn't on purpose I assure you.