Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cooking during COVID-19

vCash
    Thanks to diverticulitis ... home made chicken broth since saturday.
    Grilled some bone in Rib Eyes and had baked red potatoes last week ( before sat ).
    Before Kroger was apocalypsed picked up a large salmon filet. That lasted several meals. my wife fixed it with a Dijon sauce that was very nice with sauteed asparagus.
    Pouch/canned salmon can be used to make Salmon Croquettes. Pick up a box of Idahoan Potatoes at Sam's. Best instant mashed potatoes out there quick and easy. Prefer home made mashed red potatoes tho.

Costco had some packets of rice ramen noodle bricks at one point. Used one of those in chicken broth and it was great.

We did take out chinese and chik-fil-a curbside too. Sonic was made for this. Drop off in the car and off you go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    This cooking at home thing is a totally new experience for my wife, before all she made for dinner was reservations.

Fortunately, my gf and I can cook more than we eat out and enjoy it. Get her a few staple dishes and she will be tweaking and fine-tuning them in no time. Garlic can go in everything as far as I'm concerned. Onions are close to being the same. People seem to get bogged down and worried about all that goes into cooking. Tell her to keep it simple and go from there. I'm sure helping in the kitchen would help relieve some stress for her too. Then if it doesn't turn out as good as you hoped, it's not all on her.

Collierville eh.... You ever fished Herb Parsons?

Quote Originally Posted by desotodawg View Post
    Thanks to diverticulitis ... home made chicken broth since saturday.
    Grilled some bone in Rib Eyes and had baked red potatoes last week ( before sat ).
    Before Kroger was apocalypsed picked up a large salmon filet. That lasted several meals. my wife fixed it with a Dijon sauce that was very nice with sauteed asparagus.
    Pouch/canned salmon can be used to make Salmon Croquettes. Pick up a box of Idahoan Potatoes at Sam's. Best instant mashed potatoes out there quick and easy. Prefer home made mashed red potatoes tho.

Costco had some packets of rice ramen noodle bricks at one point. Used one of those in chicken broth and it was great.

We did take out chinese and chik-fil-a curbside too. Sonic was made for this. Drop off in the car and off you go!
    No doubt. Super easy side for camping also. More on the inconvenient side of clean up when you're in bear country though. Definitely stocked with these at my house currently.

vCash
    I am making protein Muffins for snacks.

Then I have picky little kids (5, 6, and 8 year olds)

The 5 year old won't eat home-made Chicken Nuggets. "I want to go to Donalds!"

Reminds me of this Eddie Murphy skit...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAx553k7W5s

vCash
    on the plus side, wife and i put up 100lbs of muscadines, 100lbs of peaches, 40 pounds of tomatoes, and lots of pickles. I figure a diabetic coma will get me before covid.

vCash
    Last night was fresh made pasta with a garlic basil pasta sauce with some ground beef.. With grana padana over the top.
    Tonight gonna go classic chicken Alfredo all from scratch with the extra pasta made on Sunday.

Someday I still need to recreate the verandas Mardi gras pasta. Loved that so much when I was in college.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Last night was fresh made pasta with a garlic basil pasta sauce with some ground beef.. With grana padana over the top.
    Tonight gonna go classic chicken Alfredo all from scratch with the extra pasta made on Sunday.

Someday I still need to recreate the verandas Mardi gras pasta. Loved that so much when I was in college.
    You should post the recipe to the Mardi Gras Pasta. That sounds awesome.

I think i've had something called that at Pappadeaux, a super creamy meal. Probably 7,000 calories on one plate.

vCash
    Sunday night was a thick ribeye, roasted sweet potatoes, and grilled asparagus.

Last night was a pork tenderloin, garlic roasted broccoli, and homemade shells and cheese with smoked gouda.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post

Fresh made pasta like you are making your own pasta?

All of that sounds awesome. The one place I'm lacking in my cooking repertoire is creating sauces. I can make cream-based sauces just reducing it down and adding pesto, garlic, and stuff but past that, I'm not as creative as I'd like to be.

Especially with glazes and wine sauces.

What was in the Mardi Gras Pasta? I've had a dish by the same name that had green peppers, onion, cream based with cajun seasoning and crawfish and shrimp. So good.

vCash
    Cowboy/Tomahawk Ribeyes. 1.5 inches thick cooked on charcoal for true steak flavor. Fried red potatoes and onions with corn on the cob. Dont miss fast food one bit and may never go back like I used to. I think once folks see the difference in cooking for yourself vs eating garbage from a sack, a lot of places may be in trouble.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Fresh made pasta like you are making your own pasta?

All of that sounds awesome. The one place I'm lacking in my cooking repertoire is creating sauces. I can make cream-based sauces just reducing it down and adding pesto, garlic, and stuff but past that, I'm not as creative as I'd like to be.

Especially with glazes and wine sauces.

What was in the Mardi Gras Pasta? I've had a dish by the same name that had green peppers, onion, cream based with cajun seasoning and crawfish and shrimp. So good.
    This is the only pic I can find. don't remember the seafood being fried but makes sense. maybe it was just the crawfish tails
    from the verendas website - Mardi Gras Pasta 18 – penne with shrimp, crawfish, corn, sausage, cajun cream sauce

Someone in Starkville should go enjoy a good meal and take a pic for me when they order it.

I'll play with it sometime but I think ideal would be sub the corn for grilled peppers.

Made the chicken fettuccine tonight. So simple. cream, butter, parm basically. loads of fresh cracked black pepper.
    So good. resisted the urge to throw some red pepper flakes in.

\

vCash
    Yeah, the kind I had wasn't fried either. I don't think that's necessary but to each their own. Just seems like it would get soggy.

One of the best things about pasta is having leftovers. The meal seems to get better the next day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Cowboy/Tomahawk Ribeyes. 1.5 inches thick cooked on charcoal for true steak flavor. Fried red potatoes and onions with corn on the cob. Dont miss fast food one bit and may never go back like I used to. I think once folks see the difference in cooking for yourself vs eating garbage from a sack, a lot of places may be in trouble.
    A lot of people are working from home now and not doing things after work (whether it be kids activities or adult stuff), so cooking is much easier. We don't eat fast food much unless you count pizza, but we eat takeout a lot, probably three or four times a week. I'd much prefer to eat they way we are now, but it's not practical on our normal schedule. Still easy enough to cook, but we don't currently have the skills to cook in way that is so much better and healthier than takeout without the extra time we have now. We may be a little different having young kids, but I suspect most people will go back to their hectic, pre-covid schedule in short order and will be back to not cooking.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    A lot of people are working from home now and not doing things after work (whether it be kids activities or adult stuff), so cooking is much easier. We don't eat fast food much unless you count pizza, but we eat takeout a lot, probably three or four times a week. I'd much prefer to eat they way we are now, but it's not practical on our normal schedule. Still easy enough to cook, but we don't currently have the skills to cook in way that is so much better and healthier than takeout without the extra time we have now. We may be a little different having young kids, but I suspect most people will go back to their hectic, pre-covid schedule in short order and will be back to not cooking.
    We became empty nesters back in the fall with both kids being away at school. That completely changed our whole approach to eating out and cooking. I'd honestly forgotten what it was like to be able to not have to plan our food around 1,000 activities a week. COVID hasn't changed much of that - other than we now have 1 kid back home. We maybe eat out once a week now, buy a lot of pre-portioned fresh meals at Publix, and in general eat a lot healthier. Kids screw up everything****
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I don't have kids and completely understand what y'all are saying from my perspective.

Currently and pre-COVID, we cooked most of our meals but if there was one more activity (much less a kid involved daily) there is no way we could cook from home as much as we do. We have had that discussion as we were cooking or eating multiple times.

Props to parents that can pull that off. No clue where they find the time.

vCash
    I've been grilling or smoking every day... lunches are take out to support the local guys..I smoked ribs, turkey and brisket .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    So yes we all see how this is shaping up. Very possible whatever state you live in will likely be putting some parameters around what we can do in the coming weeks.

But that's not what this thread is about.

---

What are y'all cooking?

Obviously, if you're doing it right you already have rice, beans, pasta, etc. Those are simple and easy to mix with things.

What about meals that involve just a little more but are still easy and don't require a ton?

What are some go-to meals involving some of these dry goods and basic ingredients?

I've vac sealed portions of meat to use for different things but trying to spread them out for now just so I don't have to go to any stores for now.

I've got stuff for Fajita's, Beef & Chicken Tacos, Chicken Casseroles, plenty of canned goods like green beans, limas, black eyed peas, etc.

What are some meals that are easy, require mostly dry non-perishable goods, and go a long ways that yall are cooking while staying in?
    I've got the staples but, so far we are eating like we normally do. Last night I had wild Alaskan King Salmon...may have halibut tonight. . Not much has changed in the food department..just bored out of my mind most of the time.