Thread: Do some of you still belisve CML can't recruit.

vCash

Do some of you still believe CML can't recruit.

From most sources it appears to be the opposite. In name alone Coach Mike Leach is getting players interested that I don't think would of given our last staff the courtesy of a return call. Playing for Coach Leach & playing in the SEC may be the final hurtle to get MSU the better players.
    Last edited by Offshore Dawg; 03-16-2020 at 03:01 PM. Reason: spelling

vCash
    I have been pleasantly surprised by his recruiting thus far. I would have liked to have landed Dylan Spencer and another o-lineman in the last cycle but other than that I have no complaints.

I expect him to recruit about where we have been in the mid-20's and if he wins really big here we may get up a rung in the recruiting world.

To me with Leach and Arnett recruiting rankings mean less because both have a history of getting production out of players that are not highly ranked. In theory that should keep us where we are beating teams that we should beat which began under Dan and then give us a chance to beat teams with equal or better talent that we face in the SEC. Which is the next step for us. Ever since Dak left we have usually not been competitive with those types of teams at all. Typically we have gotten completely shut down on offense whether it was Dan or Joe starting in 2016.

vCash
    I'll wait and see where our recruiting rankings are before crowning any coach a top recruiter again.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 03-15-2020 at 09:42 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'll wait and see where are recruiting rankings are before crowning any coach a top recruiter again.
    ^^^^

vCash
    To some degree, I don't care where his ranking is at. What matters is how they produce. Mullen wasn't a good recruiter but boy he produced some talent - college and NFL. You can't deny that. I'll take some more of that or the Bama type results will work fine too. Don't care anything about the Olemiss type recruiting championships.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I have been pleasantly surprised by his recruiting thus far. I would have liked to have landed Dylan Spencer and another o-lineman in the last cycle but other than that I have no complaints.

I expect him to recruit about where we have been in the mid-20's and if he wins really big here we may get up a rung in the recruiting world.

To me with Leach and Arnett recruiting rankings mean less because both have a history of getting production out of players that are not highly ranked. In theory that should keep us where we are beating teams that we should beat which began under Dan and then give us a chance to beat teams with equal or better talent that we face in the SEC. Which is the next step for us. Ever since Dak left we have usually not been competitive with those types of teams at all. Typically we have gotten completely shut down on offense whether it was Dan or Joe starting in 2016.
    I will admit that I was a little disappointed that we didn't get 1 or 2 more of what seemed to be our main targets in the late signing period but given the timeframe there I'm not making any judgments out of it. Until Leach and staff get a full round of recruiting and we see what the 2021 class looks like its all just guess work to say how well he will recruit at MSU.

vCash
    The problem with going with recruiting rankings is they are not completely objective especially when it comes to MSU. And our "objective" fans always insist on going with the composite which always brings us down because of Rivals bias against MSU. I personally just go with 247 and even then I take it with a grain of salt.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I will admit that I was a little disappointed that we didn't get 1 or 2 more of what seemed to be our main targets in the late signing period but given the timeframe there I'm not making any judgments out of it. Until Leach and staff get a full round of recruiting and we see what the 2021 class looks like its all just guess work to say how well he will recruit at MSU.
    Absolutely. But I have been encouraged by the interest we have been receiving from recruits and that's the first step at this point.

vCash
    I'll wait and see where are recruiting rankings are before crowning any coach a top recruiter again.
    Ditto

vCash
    Any descent coach can recruit at a top 30 level here now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Any descent coach can recruit at a top 30 level here now.
    I'd agree with that. MSU has moved past a lot of schools now and even with a bunch more. We are middle of pack SEC school now.

vCash
    My main point was that I did not remember this many offers going out or this level of interest from protentional recruits in the past.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    My main point was that I did not remember this many offers going out or this level of interest from protentional recruits in the past.
    Meh. It's all for not if we don't land them.

I mostly only see us on 3 stars. I haven't seen a single 5 star give us the time of day.

It's amazing to me how some of you fall for it with every new coach.

vCash
    Meh. It's all for not if we don't land them.

I mostly only see us on 3 stars. I haven't seen a single 5 star give us the time of day.

It's amazing to me how some of you fall for it with every new coach.
    Not falling for anything it is interest from QB's that seems to be better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    Not falling for anything it is interest from QB's that seems to be better.
    yes, we've had more QB & WR attention, but are we just trading those positions for less DL & LB interest?

Just because this staff specializes in getting certain positions doesn't mean that overall they are better recruiters.

vCash
    [QUOTE=ShotgunDawg;

[/QUOTE]

Not surprised in that I just don't get the feeling ML is going to be willing to do the things you have to do to get the very highest rated players. And I'm not just talking about the extra benefits doled out but also the level of sucking up to a big time recruit you normally have to do to snag them. For all the negative on JoMo, he was actually willing to go the extra mile and beyond to work on a recruit and I don't see ML doing that.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 03-16-2020 at 09:00 PM.

vCash
    Our recruiting will be determined by offensive production if we put up gawdy numbers and a decent record big time recruits will be flocking here to get a shot in the air raid you can bet on it. Defense is what may concern me but I'm not going to get overly concerned the 1st season unless we are having to win every game 60-59.

vCash
    yes, we've had more QB & WR attention, but are we just trading those positions for less DL & LB interest?

Just because this staff specializes in getting certain positions doesn't mean that overall they are better recruiters.
    I'm not worried about our recruiting at all. Leach has shown that he can develop 2-3 stars into productive QB's and WR's- the two positions we have historically struggled the most with. There's plenty of defensive talent in Mississippi and we're known for that plus we've been known to build good to elite defenses off of a lot of JUCO's if we had to. I think Arnett will prove to be really good and I think we will recruit fine because we're running a blitz heavy defense which I think is attractive to defensive players.

vCash
    There are a lot of SEC schools on 3 stars. The problem for MSU and recruiting rankings are that if we sign our 3 star targets they will likely stay 3 star targets. If LSU, Alabama, Georgia or Florida sign the same 3 star target, they soon become a 4 star target. This is the main reason recruiting ranking mean less for MSU. What I like to see is our coaching staff get the guys they target, because those have been evaluated and project to SEC players. When you miss on your main target and end up with a backup is when you risk not signing an SEC quality player.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilldawg View Post
    There are a lot of SEC schools on 3 stars. The problem for MSU and recruiting rankings are that if we sign our 3 star targets they will likely stay 3 star targets. If LSU, Alabama, Georgia or Florida sign the same 3 star target, they soon become a 4 star target. This is the main reason recruiting ranking mean less for MSU. What I like to see is our coaching staff get the guys they target, because those have been evaluated and project to SEC players. When you miss on your main target and end up with a backup is when you risk not signing an SEC quality player.
    You get it 100%. See Janari Dean and Armondous Cooley. Both are 4 star caliber players and they stayed at 3 stars.