Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sunny Side Post: COVID Could Help Our Football Program

vCash

Sunny Side Post: COVID Could Help Our Football Program

Enough of the negativity around here. Thought I'd think of some reasons how the little predicament could help the MSU football program.

Here are a few thoughts & feel free to come up with some on your own:

1. Stanford classes end June 16th. If the NCAA allows teams to move their Spring Football back, perhaps we move ours back to June 14th & Costello gets to go through Spring Football with the team. That would obviously help.

2. Slows down recruiting the new staff. Any new staff has to come in and built relationships with prospects when others in the region may have longer relationships. Well, thanks to COVID, this entire recruiting process is going to slow down, which may give our coaches a chance to develop deeper relationships with the recruits.

Perhaps there are more potential sliver linings here
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    NO!

Only doom and gloom and the world is ending.****

Both of those are very good points and would be beneficial if we can get that practice time back. Especially to be able to get Costello in the fold.

The recruiting landscape is a bigger toss up in my eyes. There is no real mold to follow on how to approach this and everyone will have their own strategy. It's definitely adding a twist to how the game is played.
    Last edited by StateDawg44; 03-18-2020 at 10:08 AM.

vCash
    Saban got COVID? **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Saban got COVID? **
    More like COVID got Saban.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Enough of the negativity around here. Thought I'd think of some reasons how the little predicament could help the MSU football program.

Here are a few thoughts & feel free to come up with some on your own:

1. Stanford classes end June 16th. If the NCAA allows teams to move their Spring Football back, perhaps we move ours back to June 14th & Costello gets to go through Spring Football with the team. That would obviously help.

2. Slows down recruiting the new staff. Any new staff has to come in and built relationships with prospects when others in the region may have longer relationships. Well, thanks to COVID, this entire recruiting process is going to slow down, which may give our coaches a chance to develop deeper relationships with the recruits.

Perhaps there are more potential sliver linings here
    Unless something changes with us finding an effective treatment that largely prevents the need for ventilators (possible if some existing antivirals work) or we get a vaccine (don't think it's possible b/c of the regulatory hoops to jump through to get approval), I don't think we'll be doing anything in June. Flattening the curve means we will have cases longer.

Unless of course we get lucky and warm weather more or less knocks it out, which I guess is unlikely based on it's spread across a lot of different countries right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Unless something changes with us finding an effective treatment that largely prevents the need for ventilators (possible if some existing antivirals work) or we get a vaccine (don't think it's possible b/c of the regulatory hoops to jump through to get approval), I don't think we'll be doing anything in June. Flattening the curve means we will have cases longer.

Unless of course we get lucky and warm weather more or less knocks it out, which I guess is unlikely based on it's spread across a lot of different countries right now.
    agree, there's a good chance we don't have a football season this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    agree, there's a good chance we don't have a football season this year.
    I don't agree with that. Enormous over reaction here.

vCash
    not really. we aren't defeating this thing until we get a vaccine. We won't have a vaccine for 12-18 months.

vCash
    Well his name is HoopsDawg so there is that, not footballdawg.

I think the pandemic will be over by start of football season but the impact to economy and ripple effects will not be.

Being Mississippi population being what it is, spread may be better in MS than other states and thus could impact other programs worse than ours; we'll see.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    not really. we aren't defeating this thing until we get a vaccine. We won't have a vaccine for 12-18 months.
    I suspect we're going to have herd immunity before we get to a vaccine. We can't maintain the current situation through football season. At some point, the number of cases will be large enough that just things like going to the grocery store is going to ensure that we have pretty rapid spread through the population, and pretty quickly it will die off because most people have already had it and stop spreading it.

vCash
    I suspect we're going to have herd immunity before we get to a vaccine. We can't maintain the current situation through football season. At some point, the number of cases will be large enough that just things like going to the grocery store is going to ensure that we have pretty rapid spread through the population, and pretty quickly it will die off because most people have already had it and stop spreading it.
    Herd immunity doesnt kick in till over 50% of the population has it. For the sake of argument, let's say only 25% needs to get it for us to have herd immunity.

.25 x 330,000,000 = 82,500,000 people. Assuming ONLY a 2 week get it to recovered from it window, and a vaccine takes 18 months to get, AND the number infected never spikes, wed have 1,057,692 people infected at all times. Hospitals cant handle even 10% needing help, and those who need hospitalization need more time to recover.

Plus at a 1% death rate wed be looking at 825,000 people dead, all to get 25% of the population immune to it, which again, isnt enough to to get anywhere near a herd immunity.

So we better hope that we get a vaccine before herd immunity kicks in

vCash

Yep, others have been telling me I'm just overreacting when I say that the best we can hope for is games without crowds, and likely no season. Another option is to cut non-conference games, push the season start back a month and go from there too. But yeah, wouldn't hold my breath for football in 2020. ****ing sucks.

vCash
    I'm reserving judgement until dickheaddawg tells me what to think. **

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Another great point. Ole Miss' best baseball team they may have ever had, is not going to win the SEC, no regional, no omaha.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    Another great point. Ole Miss' best baseball team they may have ever had, is not going to win the SEC, no regional, no omaha.
    How is that different than any other year?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    They're baseball team really wasn't very good. Just off to a good start. The talent isn't there

vCash
    They still have pieces of their #1 class as well as all of their #2 ranked class. Yes, they are good. Don’t be a homer. Granted, SEC play hadn’t even started to know for sure.

It’s ok to give teams credit. Louisville is a very good team and they didn’t have any problems dealing with them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    They still have pieces of their #1 class as well as all of their #2 ranked class. Yes, they are good. Don’t be a homer. Granted, SEC play hadn’t even started to know for sure.

It’s ok to give teams credit. Louisville is a very good team and they didn’t have any problems dealing with them
    It's also OK to realize that some people know a lot more than you.

They weren't very good. Were in no way an SEC title contender

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    How is that different than any other year?
    Boom.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post

Olemiss has a good team but Wright St had no trouble with Louisville either 10-3 so no need to go too far with them. We have a way more impressive resume that they do.