Thread: Baseball 2021 and the 2020 Draft

vCash

Baseball 2021 and the 2020 Draft

If the season does not restart and costs us a National Championship in 2020

It seems that MLB will draft Westburg, Foscue, and Tanner Allen.

What are the chances we keep Price, Hatcher, Koestler, Rowdey, and/or Self for 2021? Price looks like an All American again.

Also, based on our truncated performance in 2020, we need a Right-Handed hitting grad transfer badly. It would be good to have an experienced lead-off guy from a reputable west coast program.

vCash

A few things

1. I am depressed over baseball cancellations. I get it and under stand why. But man, just not baseball.

2. Don't underestimate the value of leverage. If the NCAA extends a RS year to all players, then draft eligible juniors would have the unique ability to go through 2 leverage draft eligible years.

3. I worry more about Foscue and Westy than TA. If we could go 1 for 2 on our middle infield, then that would be outsnding. That said, Im going to pull for both to get the slot value they want but won't be discouraged if they opt to return.

4. If the ball bounces just right, the 2021 pitching staff has potential to be the best to ever step foot on campus.

5. I think TA and Rowdey are here in 2021. Just a gut feeling based on what I see. I certainly have no source. It's why I want to go 1 for 2 on westy/Fosc. Hatch, Rowdey and TA plus Westy/Fosc would be he'll.

6. I hate it for Self/Price. Those guys have battled and seemed to have returned to form. It was fun watching them have success. I also hate it for Macleod as he is as talented as anyone in the league. And for the second consecutive year he cannot showcase it. He is a high end talent.

Im as optimistic as I've been about the direction of the program. An additional year of leverage if the NCAA does the right thing cannot be understated. Leverage means everything. To have leverage as a draft eligible junior and then again as a draft eligible RS Jr is a unique position. That said, I hope all in our program get the desired slot value.

Losing this baseball season stings. Maybe the NCAA could waive some fall requirements and allow for 2 home and 2 away fall ball series given the unfortunate circumstances. Time a baseball fall series around a football weekend and DNF would be packed.
    Last edited by hp22; 03-16-2020 at 10:53 PM.

vCash
    Baseball is going to be a complete mess this year on many different levels- MLB, minors, and of course college. They are talking about an August draft. I don't think anyone has any real idea what is going to happen. Our juniors will still have leverage if they choose to come back- we all know that at the moment. It could be a blessing in disguise because JT Ginn will likely come back and be healthy for next year and he still doesn't lose really anything as far as leverage goes. I think Tanner Allen will come back if for no other reason to show that he is healthy as well. Rowdey I think will be back. Hatcher was getting hot but I'm not sure if he showed enough to get drafted high enough to leave. Westburg and Foscue would be my guesses as most likely to go although they do have leverage still too. With them it's going to basically come down to where they are drafted and if they think they can improve it by coming back and I don't think anyone can make an accurate projection on that at this point. Price and Self will come back because they have no reason not to unless they are burned out on baseball or something.

Because of the leverage situation I think you will essentially see guys that are considered easy signs drafted higher than usual. But that's just a guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Baseball is going to be a complete mess this year on many different levels- MLB, minors, and of course college. They are talking about an August draft. I don't think anyone has any real idea what is going to happen. Our juniors will still have leverage if they choose to come back- we all know that at the moment. It could be a blessing in disguise because JT Ginn will likely come back and be healthy for next year and he still doesn't lose really anything as far as leverage goes. I think Tanner Allen will come back if for no other reason to show that he is healthy as well. Rowdey I think will be back. Hatcher was getting hot but I'm not sure if he showed enough to get drafted high enough to leave. Westburg and Foscue would be my guesses as most likely to go although they do have leverage still too. With them it's going to basically come down to where they are drafted and if they think they can improve it by coming back and I don't think anyone can make an accurate projection on that at this point. Price and Self will come back because they have no reason not to unless they are burned out on baseball or something.

Because of the leverage situation I think you will essentially see guys that are considered easy signs drafted higher than usual. But that's just a guess.
    Sounds like we have a chance at a ridiculously deep and talented team. Especially in pitching like no year that I can recall. So good that Ginn could be middle reliever and Cerantola is a luxury #4.

(SEC Starters) McLeod, Bednar, Sims

(SEC Relief) Self, Price, Koestler, Cerantola

(Great Wildcards) Harding, Forrester, B. Smith, Ginn

(High End Freshman Returners) KC Hunt, Rokose

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Sounds like we have a chance at a ridiculously deep and talented team. Especially in pitching like no year that I can recall. So good that Ginn could be middle reliever and Cerantola is a luxury #4.

(SEC Starters) McLeod, Bednar, Sims

(SEC Relief) Self, Price, Koestler, Cerantola

(Great Wildcards) Harding, Forrester, B. Smith, Ginn

(High End Freshman Returners) KC Hunt, Rokose
    I think you start Ginn on Friday's if he is 100%. MacLeoud would be my Saturday guy. Cerentola is getting closer and closer to turning the corner. I'd use Bednar and Sims like we used Lindgren and Holder. Price and Self are veterans that are going to be really good next year and they're healthy. Harding would be my midweek guy for now. Carlisle Koestler I would use like we used Ross Mitchell. We're probably going to get four more high end freshmen pitchers next year too.

vCash
    I think you start Ginn on Friday's if he is 100%. MacLeoud would be my Saturday guy. Cerentola is getting closer and closer to turning the corner. I'd use Bednar and Sims like we used Lindgren and Holder. Price and Self are veterans that are going to be really good next year and they're healthy. Harding would be my midweek guy for now. Carlisle Koestler I would use like we used Ross Mitchell. We're probably going to get four more high end freshmen pitchers next year too.
    Don't expect Ginn to start, what I was told he will be relieve, time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Don't expect Ginn to start, what I was told he will be relieve, time will tell.
    Any one already making this declaration is jumping the gun big time.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    - nobody knows yet when the draft will be and frankly most hope it just stays in June. Yes teams are dealing with incomplete information but they likely have enough.

- Yes JRs may get a red shirt year, but they still get a year older and age is a pretty important factor in the draft. So yes they'd have another year of leverage but have less leverage the 2nd season.

- Prepare to lose the JRs and have the SRs return. That is if they still want to play

vCash

I'd expect to lose Westy and Foscue, but keep everyone else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    You might be surprised who told me.

vCash
    Rehab return always starts in relief
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    You might be surprised who told me.
    I honestly don't care who told you.

If it's someone in Ginn's family, then it looks like they're punting one his career.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FISHDAWG View Post
    Rehab return always starts in relief
    Not true at all

The problem with this theory is that 1. It's not true. & 2. It's lacks logic because relieving can be more difficult on a players arm than starting.

What's worse?

A. Throwing once a week & lengthening it out for 5-6 innings?
    B. Throw 2-3 times a week for 1 inning at max effort while being dry humped in the bullpen one other time?

It just depends on the person.

Frankly, I'm sick & tired of hearing about how people are going to baby JT Ginn's arm. I think he's a hell of a pitcher when healthy but he strikes me as the type of player who's arm has been so babied throughout his life that the value of what he can bring to a team, who needs pitchers to eat innings, is very little.

A Major League team plays 1,458 innings a year. Somebody has to pitch those & you only have a 40 man roster, of which 50% of those guys are position players. That means on average every pitcher on the staff needs to average 72.9 innings. You better be able to handle high inning loads
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 03-17-2020 at 07:36 AM.

vCash
    I honestly don't care who told you.

If it's someone in Ginn's family, then it looks like they're punting one his career.
    I would ask why you think that but I suppose it's your opinion, I'm pretty sure who told me could "care less" what you think.

We shall see and I hope Ginn gets back soon and stays healthy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    If the season does not restart and costs us a National Championship in 2020

Du wut?

Are we UCF of baseball now? Are you saying we should stop printing the T-Shirts?***

vCash
    I'm pretty sure who told me could "care less" what you think.
    I'm sure that true, but my opinion is pretty informed. Seems ridiculous to me that someone would already be relegating Ginn to the bullpen a few weeks after he has surgery & a year before he pitches again.

IDK, just seems stupid to jump the gun that far ahead