Thread: How important is spring football?

vCash

How important is spring football?

To me, it has always just mostly been a way to make sure guys stay in shape, experiment with moving guys around to different positions, let the walk-ons have their moment in the sun only to be never heard from again unless you're TJ Mawhinney, and give the fans a little taste in the offseason.

I know we're installing a new offense and defense so this could be a bigger deal for us. However, our QB wasn't going to be able to participate and no way were they going to let Hill take a ton of reps. And I'm sure the NCAA will consider allowing a longer fall practice or maybe move spring practices to later in the calendar year or something.

But if we missed spring practice would it really be that big of a deal?

vCash
    More important than usual with a new offense but I can about guarantee you some form of spring practice will happen at some point. We also won't have our starting QB on campus until fall so...

vCash
    Not having spring ball for this team would be a big deal. The teams entire philosophy is being installed on both sides of the ball as well personnel matches. It's a huge deal.

vCash
    Good news is everyone else will be in the same boat....or almost the same boat. I think it is probably a little more important to a team with new offense like us

vCash
    Ole miss is in the same boat.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Spring football is about teaching, experimenting and working fundamentals. Yes to big deal but I'm not sold contact is really needed. It's a good time to work on conditioning such as diet and weight training.

vCash

I believe this will work to our advantage

We were going to have to go through spring practice without our QB, while most everyone else went through with their starter.
    If they cancel spring football all together but then allow schools to start summer practice two weeks earlier than usual before the season opener, we get a spring football?s worth of practice with Costello under Leach leading up to the opener.

vCash

Very important to a team with a new coach and players that have never been in an

air raid type of offense. However, maybe that can be mitigated by the fact that Leach's offense is very simplistic from all accounts.
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Spring football is about teaching, experimenting and working fundamentals. Yes to big deal but I'm not sold contact is really needed. It's a good time to work on conditioning such as diet and weight training.
    In 5-10 years, I will be shocked if there is still a spring game and full contact in the spring. There is no need for it.

vCash
    I gotta figure surely the NCAA will allow something this summer when this virus backs off? Even if it is only 2 weeks of practice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by cujo View Post
    We were going to have to go through spring practice without our QB, while most everyone else went through with their starter.
    If they cancel spring football all together but then allow schools to start summer practice two weeks earlier than usual before the season opener, we get a spring football?s worth of practice with Costello under Leach leading up to the opener.
    This is a great point. If they move spring practice back to June Costello would get to go through practice with us and get more reps with our guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    But they won't be here to work on weight training and diet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    But they won't be here to work on weight training and diet.
    As someone that works out as a hobby gyms closing is a concern of mine. So even if the players were motivated to work out on their own- and I'm sure some would be- the Sanderson Center may be locked down and those workouts I would imagine would be un-supervised on their own kinds of things.

vCash
    And they won't have the same food available from their homes as they will here. That's not going to be available any time soon, if at all, prior to summer school.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    And they won't have the same food available from their homes as they will here. That's not going to be available any time soon, if at all, prior to summer school.
    That's true if there is a panic and food gets scarce. Then it will be essentially eating what you have even if that's Hungry Man dinners.

vCash
    Well if Stanford goes to the Online classes like most universities are...who's to say he can't come to Starkville