Page 267 of 274 FirstFirst ... 167217257265266267268269 ... LastLast
Results 5,321 to 5,340 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    I looked up the avg age of death for someone living in the US and it was around 78.54. Then I tried to find up to date data on the average age of COVID death and that wasn't nearly as easy. We know that the older generations are at higher risk but finding an average age of death required some work.

Massachusetts had the simplest chart of those I've encountered so far and it had listed the avg age of COVID death in their state at 82. The average life expectancy for those living in Massachusetts is 80.51.

Mississippi was one of the worst as far as avg age goes but I wasn't able to calculate it accurately as their chart only listed age ranges for deaths and for some reason did not list the number of COVID deaths for those over 90 even though the bar graph shows there are some. So I calculated the lower range and the higher range for avg age of death and they came out 65.4 and 74.42 respectively. Obviously the more accurate number would be toward the higher end but unfortunately I was unable to figure that out based on the set of data given (also don't forget that I was unable to gather the number of deaths in those over 90 so the numbers should be somewhat higher). Mississippi has the second lowest life expectancy of any state and it sits at 74.89. Here's a chart from the CDC detailing MS as one of, if not the most unhealthy states: https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/pressroom/s...ississippi.htm

Arkansas was frustrating because it did not list numbers of any kind for deaths in age ranges but instead listed percentages which renders it impossible to calculate the avg age of death related to COVID. AR currently sits at 687 deaths.The closest I could find is that 71% of those deaths are in the 65+ age group so go figure. The avg life expectancy for an Arkansan is 75.93.

Tennessee was similar to MS in that they only listed age ranges for COVID deaths but then lumped all deaths past 81 into a 81+ group so again numbers are ball park but not entirely accurate as they're most likely higher than what I have listed. The avg of COVID death on the low end for TN is 67.3 while at the higher end is 73.4. Average life expectancy in TN is 75.99.

Alabama is the exact same situation as AR. Total number of deaths are 1,944 and 77.8% of those are 65+ so go figure. Avg life expectancy in AL is 75.42.

Louisiana listed the avg age of COVID death at 75. The avg life expectancy in LA is 76.07. LA is probably one of the better case studies thus far as it has the highest number of cases and deaths among those listed already (CA and NY come later). There are a total of 142,943 cases in LA and deaths are sitting at 4,605.

Kentucky, same breakdown as TN, high end for avg age of COVID death is 75.61 and low end is 71. Avg life expectancy in KY is 75.41.

Oklahoma, same breakdown as AR, total number of COVID deaths are 726 and 79.06% of those are 65+. Avg life expectancy in OK is 75.97.

West Virginia did not list a breakdown of deaths per age range anywhere I could find. Total number of COVID deaths in WV currently sits at 179. I was curious about WV as they have the lowest life expectancy out of all the states. Life expectancy in WV is 74.79.

Missouri, same breakdown as TN, high end for avg COVID death is 75.56 and low end is 71.1. Avg life expectancy is 77.29.

New York, same breakdown as TN except they add a 90+ category. High end for deaths is 77.5 and low end is 69.8. Avg life expectancy in NY is 81.27.

California, same breakdown as TN, high end for avg COVID death is 73.14 and low end is 67.5. Avg life expectancy in CA is 81.58.

If you can find a website with better, more specific breakdowns please let me know. I'd like to do this with all 50 states and get a total avg for age of death with COVID and compare it to the nations life expectancy of 78.54. I wasn't able to find any current data that relayed that information and even if I continued with this data set it would only be ballpark as it's impossible to find the specific numbers needed for all 50 states as you can see above. I'd wager that the avg age for a COVID death isn't far off from the avg age of death. In some states the former even surpasses the latter. It'd be an interesting study for sure.

Sources:
    https://www.mass.gov/doc/covid-19-da...-2020/download
    https://msdh.ms.gov/msdhsite/_static/14,0,420.html
    https://www.tn.gov/health/cedep/ncov/data.html
    https://alpublichealth.maps.arcgis.c...a509d82c8cf0f7
    https://ldh.la.gov/Coronavirus/
    https://kygeonet.maps.arcgis.com/app...f8bc34dc40e334
    https://coronavirus.health.ok.gov/
    https://dhhr.wv.gov/COVID-19/Pages/default.aspx
    https://health.mo.gov/living/healthc...l-coronavirus/
    https://coronavirus.health.ny.gov/home
    https://www.cdph.ca.gov/Programs/CID.../nCOV2019.aspx
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...ife_expectancy
    Last edited by Matt3467; 08-24-2020 at 11:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I've been telling everyone this since June. The quick tests are 50/50 at best. Our poor testing is the single greatest issue with all this. It's also why herd immunity is nowhere close.
    They've also only been tracking it since March. What about the numbers before then?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'll just assume the false positives rate is fairly consistent, so case numbers are still fair to gauge how things are going.

If false positives are rampant, I imagine this inflates deaths too considering the age of most deaths.
    You know what they say about "assume". This is why when the POTUS continued to harp on how well we've done with testing compared to other countries, it was a sham.

Deaths have spiked compared to previous years, so that can be contributed to the virus. Everything else is up for interpretation without any conclusive data to pull from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    You know what they say about "assume". This is why when the POTUS continued to harp on how well we've done with testing compared to other countries, it was a sham.

Deaths have spiked compared to previous years, so that can be contributed to the virus. Everything else is up for interpretation without any conclusive data to pull from.
    You are assuming there as well. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Murder rates are up almost 22% this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    You are assuming there as well. Correlation doesn't equal causation. Murder rates are up almost 22% this year.
    So, correlation doesn't equal causation - yet you use murder rates to justify the spike in mortality.... That's rich!!!

vCash

vCash
    This new saliva test should solve a lot of testing issues. I blame American science and companies for dragging their feet on better testing.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 08-25-2020 at 08:49 AM.

vCash
    So, correlation doesn't equal causation - yet you use murder rates to justify the spike in mortality.... That's rich!!!
    Absolutely not. I was just pointing out that there are a lot of factors that can contribute to an increase in mortality during any given year. You (once again) assumed that was what I was stating. I was simply pointing out that you can't just randomly attribute any death over the yearly average to a new disease. That's silly. That's terrible statistical work and even worse science. Any news outlet, scientist, or medical professional spouting that nonsense should immediately come under review. I can't stress enough how bad it is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    This new saliva test should solve a lot of testing issues. I blame American science and companies for dragging their feet on better testing.
    Yep. I've got a buddy who is flying out of country this week on business to France. The business mailed him a saliva kit which he picked up at the post office, administered the test himself in the post office parking lot and put it back in the mail (pre-paid overnight). Legit. And so fast. Got his results back in under 48 hours from the time he mailed it.

Game changer.

vCash
    I'm still very interested in what death stats look like the rest of the year and halfway thru next. I think a significant portion of our deaths due to covid were just moved up a matter of months.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm still very interested in what death stats look like the rest of the year and halfway thru next. I think a significant portion of our deaths due to covid were just moved up a matter of months.
    This is pretty much a guarantee with all the deaths in nursing homes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is pretty much a guarantee with all the deaths in nursing homes.
    Pretty sure this theory of mine was stolen from you haha

vCash

Absolutely not. I was just pointing out that there are a lot of factors that can contribute to an increase in mortality during any given year. You (once again) assumed that was what I was stating. I was simply pointing out that you can't just randomly attribute any death over the yearly average to a new disease. That's silly. That's terrible statistical work and even worse science. Any news outlet, scientist, or medical professional spouting that nonsense should immediately come under review. I can't stress enough how bad it is.
    Hold up!

Please show me where I said that COVID was the sole reason for the uptick in mortality rates this year? I initially stated that it can be contributed to the uptick, same as you did regarding murder rate.

I've linked the posts for your convenience.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)...
    That's like saying: The HIV info Thread. (Please keep sexual references out please)
    No Signature

vCash
    Hold up!

Please show me where I said that COVID was the sole reason for the uptick in mortality rates this year? I initially stated that it can be contributed to the uptick, same as you did regarding murder rate.

I've linked the posts for your convenience.
    I think you're being willfully ignorant on this one. I read the correspondence and it was pretty clear what both of you were saying.

vCash
    Over the course of this pandemic, 963 nursing home patients have died from COVID. For perspective, I wonder how many nursing Mississippi home patients die in any given 5 month period?
    The nursing homes in Lauderdale and Jones counties have been hit especially hard.

vCash

Well, that's what you said. If you meant something different then that's ok. I followed up with actual data regarding homicide rates. I'll follow that up with a couple of other things: before covid arrived on American shores the nation was already seeing an uptick in the national suicide rate. Since Covid-19 there has been a 65% increase in the suicide call centers across the nation. Many of these are closely correlated with unemployment and anxiety. Anecdotally, in my jurisdiction we worked 3 suicides last year...I've 8 so far this year and the year isn't over. The holidays are typically when most of our suicides takes place. Interestlingly, there has also seen a 35% increase in non-covid deaths since March.

This isn't to say that there aren't covid deaths that have gone unreported. It would be foolish to think that there isn't but it can't be assumed that all deaths above the mean...or even half...or even a tenth...are covid related because there is little empirical data from which to derive that theory. That hasn't stopped some cities and states from doing just that, though, and that is disingenuous at best.

vCash
    Hpspitalizations on a continued nose dive down.

vCash
    67 deaths reported today by MSDH although 23 of those occurred between July 1st and August 17th. ICU bed usage due to Covid is still in a downward trend. It also looks like hospitalizations and people on ventilators are going in the right direction as well.

vCash
    Well haven't yall had a busy day discussing... voting... in a covid thread. Thanks for no bashing or name calling.. but still discuss it somewhere else please.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 08-25-2020 at 06:42 PM.