Page 264 of 274 FirstFirst ... 164214254262263264265266 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    It is 100% unavoidable with a new population being formed when colleges and schools start back. It...will...happen. After about 4-8 weeks the numbers will spike downward again once they hit 20% - 25% infection rate. Also, there will be far fewer deaths and hospitalizations with this spike due to the age range that will be most impacted (10 - 25 yoa).
    I do believe that?s the same response people were using back in July when numbers started to spike. Spikes are going to lead to spikes in death with this deal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    But there's no proof or guarantee any of those people would've gone somewhere else to party. Without the sorority sponsoring the party and without members, I'd take my chances it would be considerably less.
    I think college students partying is about as guaranteed as anything you can think of in life. You could probably model how much better 10 apartment parties with 20 people is than 1 fraternity party with 225 based on how many people were likely to have it in the population and I'm sure it would make some difference. But I'm not sure it would be a big one.

vCash
    Oktibbeha county w more than 75 cases in less than a week, shocked**** good news is state hospitalizations are at a low for the past month i believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    I do believe that?s the same response people were using back in July when numbers started to spike. Spikes are going to lead to spikes in death with this deal.
    You are correct and peep the numbers over the past 18 days...numbers in MS have been falling dramatically. Now, we have created a brand new population for the virus to run through with college and pre-college (highschool/elementary) kids coming together for the first time. Fortunately, that age range equates to less than .08% of the mortality rate for this thing and most of those were immunocompromised and it caught them early in the pandemic. This is why I said that this new population will result in fewer hospitalizations and deaths (within that age group). The danger is that age group bringing to others that are in a more at risk population.

With that said, the at risk population has already been hit pretty hard and achieved some level of immunity.

vCash
    894 new cases yesterday. Think that's a good bit higher than last Wednesday's numbers but not positive. Thinking last Wednesday's numbers were in the high 600's?

REally wish MSDH would publish just reported numbers each day also so we can see a trend there as well as tracking it by date of first symptoms. Worldometer does this but I don't think they are using MSDH numbers.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    894 new cases yesterday. Think that's a good bit higher than last Wednesday's numbers but not positive. Thinking last Wednesday's numbers were in the high 600's?

REally wish MSDH would publish just reported numbers each day also so we can see a trend there as well as tracking it by date of first symptoms. Worldometer does this but I don't think they are using MSDH numbers.
    Last Thursday number was 612.

vCash
    I just heard that a bunch of girls from the "W" came to Starkvegas, hit the Cotton District and sparked a rash of Covid-positive cases among MSU students.

Can anyone confirm?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I just heard that a bunch of girls from the "W" came to Starkvegas, hit the Cotton District and sparked a rash of Covid-positive cases among MSU students.

Can anyone confirm?
    It wouldn't shock me in the least bit. But at the same time, who tf cares? Students are going to get it because the average college student doesn't give one flying 17 about this virus and isn't going to let it stop them from going out and having fun. We can't expect college age kids to sit inside and do nothing for the next 8-12 months. It's not going to happen and I don't blame them. Saying all that, I have noticed most bars in the district adhering to the social distancing and mask guidelines so that probably helps a bit in this type of situation. Now, if those girls knowingly had the virus and purposefully went and spread it then that's pretty sh**** but the virus has been floating around the district for months I'd imagine so it'd be no real way of knowing how someone got it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    It wouldn't shock me in the least bit. But at the same time, who tf cares? Students are going to get it because the average college student doesn't give one flying 17 about this virus and isn't going to let it stop them from going out and having fun. We can't expect college age kids to sit inside and do nothing for the next 8-12 months. It's not going to happen and I don't blame them.
    Yep. MSU abruptly and without warning to them pulled all of the interns from my place of work 2 weeks before their summer internship was up so they could quarantine. The students got a call one Thursday morning from MSU that said today is your last day. I asked the guy in our department if he was going to quarantine and he said "Yep. At every bar in town."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mjoelner34 View Post
    Yep. MSU abruptly and without warning to them pulled all of the interns from my place of work 2 weeks before their summer internship was up so they could quarantine. The students got a call one Thursday morning from MSU that said today is your last day. I asked the guy in our department if he was going to quarantine and he said "Yep. At every bar in town."
    MSU had good intentions with the whole quarantine two weeks before returning thing, but they had to know that wouldn't work. And even if it happened to, it would all go to hell within the first week.

vCash
    It wouldn't shock me in the least bit. But at the same time, who tf cares? Students are going to get it because the average college student doesn't give one flying 17 about this virus and isn't going to let it stop them from going out and having fun. We can't expect college age kids to sit inside and do nothing for the next 8-12 months. It's not going to happen and I don't blame them. Saying all that, I have noticed most bars in the district adhering to the social distancing and mask guidelines so that probably helps a bit in this type of situation. Now, if those girls knowingly had the virus and purposefully went and spread it then that's pretty sh**** but the virus has been floating around the district for months I'd imagine so it'd be no real way of knowing how someone got it.
    Not only do I not blame them for not holing up, they really shouldn't. They are at basically zero risk from the virus a shouldn't sacrifice a year of college for it. They just need to live their life and avoid at risk people the best they can and social distance when not around other low risk people who are voluntarily socializing. .

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Not only do I not blame them for not holing up, they really shouldn't. They are at basically zero risk from the virus a shouldn't sacrifice a year of college for it. They just need to live their life and avoid at risk people the best they can and social distance when not around other low risk people who are voluntarily socializing. .
    I think this will be a year where a lot of kids don't go home but once or twice a semester to limit risk, which might end up being beneficial to the restaurants and bars in Starkville when/if they're able to open back up.

vCash
    I think this will be a year where a lot of kids don't go home but once or twice a semester to limit risk, which might end up being beneficial to the restaurants and bars in Starkville when/if they're able to open back up.
    The university is actively encouraging kids not to go home during the semester. That is one of the reasons they shortened the academic calendar, cut fall break, and will end everything before Thanksgiving.
    So, you are right that that might add some additional weekend business.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    According to worldometers this isn't correct. On worldometers though, the deaths are around 20... may have missed or double counted a day. This is still an outstanding total.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    According to worldometers this isn't correct. On worldometers though, the deaths are around 20... may have missed or double counted a day. This is still an outstanding total.
    Can't be correct. You have to lock up for months. Have the govt take over and deliver you your groceries....

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Can't be correct. You have to lock up for months. Have the govt take over and deliver you your groceries....
    Lmfao who pissed in your cornflakes. Football isn't cancelled yet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Anybody heard anything on this drug before?

https://www.trialsitenews.com/rlf-10...d-19-patients/
    Everyone may want to research this drug that Starkvegasdawg posted about a couple weeks ago. This drug has shown phenomenal results at Methodist in Houston on the sickest of sick patients diagnosed with COVID.

There is a firefighter in Houston currently being treated at Memorial Hermann who was on his death bed; they fought through the red tape to get him this experimental drug earlier this week and his numbers are showing some improvement.

If this drug works like the research is starting to show, it could be huge for those hit hardest by this virus.

vCash
    I wish I knew how to post a Tweet on ED.

It's easy..here ya go
    To post tweet. click the twitter bird icon on your reply. post the link in the middle of the words twitter...OR post your link..highlight it. press the twitter bird button. easy peasy. -scooba
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 08-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.

vCash
    Hospitalizations on a good downward trend