Page 192 of 274 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242 ... LastLast
Results 3,821 to 3,840 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Breonna Taylor was killed because police performed a no-knock raid with plain-clothes on. They went to the wrong house. And by wrong house I mean it was no where even close to where they should have been. (As in not even the same neighborhood, road name not similar, etc.)

The only one arrested from the incident was her significant other. Last week he finally had his charges dropped. The killers I mean police still walk free.

For you to say "don't break the law," means you are willfully being ignorant at this point.

Sidenote: $20 is not worth killing over. That would be an 8th amendment violation (cruel and unusual punishment.)

So it's pretty simple, police should be held accountable for breaking the law. Which is what people are protesting for.
    All the cops have been arrested and charged. The idiot that killed him was arrested immediately. No need for protests and looting and rioting. Justice is being served.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    All the cops have been arrested and charged. The idiot that killed him was arrested immediately. No need for protests and looting and rioting. Justice is being served.
    Umm no.

This is not one incident. Did you even read? Breonna Taylor is another case entirely.

How you can say there are no need for protests when after a week these people were charged due to the outrage and had level of severity gone up. All over the country there are slowly starting to be laws and ideas passed in response.

This is just an all around naive post.

vCash
    Umm no.

This is not one incident. Did you even read? Breonna Taylor is another case entirely.

How you can say there are no need for protests when after a week these people were charged due to the outrage and had level of severity gone up. All over the country there are slowly starting to be laws and ideas passed in response.

The mobs don't want justice, they want revenge.

vCash
    Breonna Taylor was killed because police performed a no-knock raid with plain-clothes on. They went to the wrong house. And by wrong house I mean it was no where even close to where they should have been. (As in not even the same neighborhood, road name not similar, etc.)

The only one arrested from the incident was her significant other. Last week he finally had his charges dropped. The killers I mean police still walk free.

For you to say "don't break the law," means you are willfully being ignorant at this point.

Sidenote: $20 is not worth killing over. That would be an 8th amendment violation (cruel and unusual punishment.)

So it's pretty simple, police should be held accountable for breaking the law. Which is what people are protesting for.
    How is an accidental Shooting considered police brutality? I'm sure the family will get millions in insurance money. It is a terrible incident, but in no way criminal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RezDog7 View Post
    How is an accidental Shooting considered police brutality? I'm sure the family will get millions in insurance money. It is a terrible incident, but in no way criminal.
    It depends on the jurisdiction, but that's certainly not guaranteed. In Mississippi, you get the greater of $500k or whatever insurance they carry. Most jurisdictions do carry more insurance, but there's no guarantee.

And I'm sorry, but if you go in the wrong house on a no knock raid, that's at worst manslaughter. You can't make a mistake on something like that. And a lot of the no-knock raids are unnecessary anyway. A lot of times they carry out no knock raids when they have the target under surveillance outside of the house within 24 hours before.

vCash
    New Zealand reporting corona is now eradicated there. Last known positive test was 17 days ago and that patient has now recovered. Since then they have conducted 40,000 additional tests with all results negative. No known cases of corona now exist there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    New Zealand reporting corona is now eradicated there. Last known positive test was 17 days ago and that patient has now recovered. Since then they have conducted 40,000 additional tests with all results negative. No known cases of corona now exist there.
    Helps when you don't have another land border around you and you lock travel down. They've also been under some intense restrictions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The mobs don't want justice, they want revenge.
    And Rolex's.

vCash
    Umm no.

I've stayed silent long enough. I've been in law enforcement for 20 years (not as a first responder) so it has allowed me to view what is happening through two different lenses so here is my take (I will link stat sources in the bottom):

Between 2017 and 2020 3,416 people were shot and killed by law enforcement officials. Approximately 755 of those were black (approx. 22%). Of those 2% were unarmed or had no weapon. That equates to 15 unarmed, black individuals killed by the police over a 4 year period (or approximately 4 a year). Of those I know of at least 6 that made national headlines and were investigated and (in some cases) the officer was charged and/or lost their job. I will have to dig deep to find info on the others. It is an important stat here that is uncomfortable but it is a statistic none-the-less and is not inherently racist. The black population accounts for almost 50% of violent crimes in the US though they represent less than 20% of the overall population. Because of this it stands to reason that the black population actually comes into contact with law enforcement at a higher rate (per capita) than any other race.

On the flip side of that there are over 800,000 active law enforcement officers in the United State today....800,000. I understand that those that have abused their power and made a mockery of the values and codes we hold dear are all over the news but they do NOT represent 99.999% of law enforcement officials. Really. Look at the stats. Let's say that of those 15 unarmed cases that FIVE officers were involved in each incident and they were not justified in that use of force. They would represent .009% of all law enforcement. So all cops are bastards, then? All cops should die? We should defund and dissolve all law enforcement agencies?? Of those 800,000 58,866 were assaulted in 2018 alone with approx. 18,000 sustaining injuries while approximately 163 officers die in the line of duty each year.

The level of stupidity in this country is at an all time high. Minneapolis is talking about dissolving police departments and sending SOCIAL WORKERS and PSYCHOLOGISTS to go to scenes and de-escalate a situation. Good luck finding someone stupid enough to try that. Folks will discover that theory versus application are two very different things. It's very easy to sit in the ivory tower and tell people how things SHOULD be done...it's entirely different in application.

I'm not saying that law enforcement doesn't have room to grow. We need to EVOLVE our police force. We need to stop militarizing our police force to the point we are now and focus more on communication, mental health, and race relations. We need to communicate better with the communities that we serve. This will come down to training and the way hiring is done. I'm not knocking what our military personnel has done for this country but (and this is my opinion) individuals with military experience (especially combat experience) don't need to be on a police force. That entire mindset needs to change.

Also, there MUST be judicial reform. Many things that law enforcement and first responders are blamed for happen at the court setting. Little known fact here...law enforcement has very little to nothing to do with sentencing someone. That happens between prosecutors, defense attorneys, and a judge. Also, I have a big issue with police unions. But that is another matter entirely.

This is all a very complex issue that is being misdirected based on anectodal evidence and not real stats.

https://ucr.fbi.gov/leoka/2018/topic...cers-assaulted

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...olice-by-race/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...ty-and-gender/

https://nleomf.org/facts-figures/law-enforcement-facts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Are their borders shut down? If so, will a negative test be required to enter country?

vCash
    They haven't released the hospital numbers yet but we set a record for the number of new cases today.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 06-08-2020 at 12:34 PM.

vCash
    The hospital numbers were up, but not in record territory.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The hospital numbers were up, but not in record territory.
    So new record on daily cases but not hospital admission? I've heard that several hospitals in northeast mississippi are maxed out on vent patients and Covid unit are full. Not sure how true it is but I heard from a pretty reliable source.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I've stayed silent long enough. I've been in law enforcement for 20 years (not as a first responder) so it has allowed me to view what is happening through two different lenses so here is my take (I will link stat sources in the bottom):

Between 2017 and 2020 3,416 people were shot and killed by law enforcement officials. Approximately 755 of those were black (approx. 22%). Of those 2% were unarmed or had no weapon. That equates to 15 unarmed, black individuals killed by the police over a 4 year period (or approximately 4 a year). Of those I know of at least 6 that made national headlines and were investigated and (in some cases) the officer was charged and/or lost their job. I will have to dig deep to find info on the others. It is an important stat here that is uncomfortable but it is a statistic none-the-less and is not inherently racist. The black population accounts for almost 50% of violent crimes in the US though they represent less than 20% of the overall population. Because of this it stands to reason that the black population actually comes into contact with law enforcement at a higher rate (per capita) than any other race.

On the flip side of that there are over 800,000 active law enforcement officers in the United State today....800,000. I understand that those that have abused their power and made a mockery of the values and codes we hold dear are all over the news but they do NOT represent 99.999% of law enforcement officials. Really. Look at the stats. Let's say that of those 15 unarmed cases that FIVE officers were involved in each incident and they were not justified in that use of force. They would represent .009% of all law enforcement. So all cops are bastards, then? All cops should die? We should defund and dissolve all law enforcement agencies?? Of those 800,000 58,866 were assaulted in 2018 alone with approx. 18,000 sustaining injuries while approximately 163 officers die in the line of duty each year.

The level of stupidity in this country is at an all time high. Minneapolis is talking about dissolving police departments and sending SOCIAL WORKERS and PSYCHOLOGISTS to go to scenes and de-escalate a situation. Good luck finding someone stupid enough to try that. Folks will discover that theory versus application are two very different things. It's very easy to sit in the ivory tower and tell people how things SHOULD be done...it's entirely different in application.

I'm not saying that law enforcement doesn't have room to grow. We need to EVOLVE our police force. We need to stop militarizing our police force to the point we are now and focus more on communication, mental health, and race relations. We need to communicate better with the communities that we serve. This will come down to training and the way hiring is done. I'm not knocking what our military personnel has done for this country but (and this is my opinion) individuals with military experience (especially combat experience) don't need to be on a police force. That entire mindset needs to change.

Also, there MUST be judicial reform. Many things that law enforcement and first responders are blamed for happen at the court setting. Little known fact here...law enforcement has very little to nothing to do with sentencing someone. That happens between prosecutors, defense attorneys, and a judge. Also, I have a big issue with police unions. But that is another matter entirely.

This is all a very complex issue that is being misdirected based on anectodal evidence and not real stats.

Thank you for your service.

vCash

And my biggest fear right now is that sensible points of view like this are increasingly being labeled as racist.

vCash
    So new record on daily cases but not hospital admission? I've heard that several hospitals in northeast mississippi are maxed out on vent patients and Covid unit are full. Not sure how true it is but I heard from a pretty reliable source.
    Yep. I have no idea about the hospital cases in NE Miss. The only figure you can find is North Mississippi Health Services. They have 32 in patient cases, the most I have seen. That includes all the hospitals in their system. I would imagine most of those would be in Tupelo. Their system also includes smaller hospitals in Amory, Iuka, Eupora, West Point, Pontotoc, and Hamilton AL.

vCash

best post that I have seen on all of the police issues. The militarization of the police is very noticeable when you travel to other countries where the police is less dressed out with surplus military gear. When did the police start becoming pseudo military? I remember a few years not exactly when this started and thought it not a good idea.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by redstickdawg View Post
    best post that I have seen on all of the police issues. The militarization of the police is very noticeable when you travel to other countries where the police is less dressed out with surplus military gear. When did the police start becoming pseudo military? I remember a few years not exactly when this started and thought it not a good idea.
    It started in earnest after 9/11 as a counter-terrorism endeavor.

Interestingly, dissolving our county PD and turning all county law enforcement to our Sheriff is on the ballot in November. One of the primary reasons was the issues with use of force, and the tendency to cover for bad acts within the GCPD. And, this was before the Arbery murder and that case went national. While our county PD has become dis-functional, our city police have been working to implement a community policing approach over the past 5 years, and we have seen crime drop 35% a year over the past 3 years - while our overall "metro" area (Glynn, Brantley & McIntosh Counties) have seen an overall increase in crime.

I think a lot of issues could be made better by police, and the command structure, recognizing that they are fallible.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FpXwjo/pubhtml

It's not just killings that are instances of police brutality. I'm just looking at stats there and that's troubling that we couldn't go two weeks without breaking 500 incidents.

As for the section about black population accounting for 50% of violent crimes and thus coming into contact more with leo. That's a chicken and egg thing, no? Self-fulfilling prophecy somewhat.

But your points about growth is correct. We need to defund the military toys (and things that are war crimes) and invest in pay, training, etc. I personally don't think Minneapolis will be successful, but I'm interested to see the results and how this will drive the conversation forward.

I think we can all agree of these 5 things for cops that would make life easier for everyone (cops, poc, white people alike):

1. Require body cameras at all times. (Have someone trained to watching all active cops in the department. Once one feed goes out notify officer immediately. If unable to fix immediately, officer is to return to precinct and be supplied with a new one. Not to engage in any cop-like activities. Arrest with the buddy system to mitigate a person in custody when one camera goes out.)
    2. End chokeholds. No neck restraining, period.
    3. End qualified immunity. You're trained by the law. You shouldn't be able to go outside said bounds without no restriction.
    4. Stop spending on ridiculous toys, spend on the officers themselves. (The money saved on riot gear, tear gas, swat bullshit is going to more than make up for cameras and training.)
    5. No Han Solo shooting. As a cop, you do not shoot to kill first. You are trained to handle a deadly weapon. You are trained to act under pressure. Shoot to disarm or don't shoot first. Cameras will help tell the story here.

Don't think that this stuff is unreasonable. Would make things go a lot smoother. People wouldn't have to videotape every encounter with a cop. People could feel secure that the cop has a level of oversight that will prevent police brutality. (Again brutality is not limited to death.)

vCash
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FpXwjo/pubhtml

It's not just killings that are instances of police brutality. I'm just looking at stats there and that's troubling that we couldn't go two weeks without breaking 500 incidents.

As for the section about black population accounting for 50% of violent crimes and thus coming into contact more with leo. That's a chicken and egg thing, no? Self-fulfilling prophecy somewhat.

But your points about growth is correct. We need to defund the military toys (and things that are war crimes) and invest in pay, training, etc. I personally don't think Minneapolis will be successful, but I'm interested to see the results and how this will drive the conversation forward.

I think we can all agree of these 5 things for cops that would make life easier for everyone (cops, poc, white people alike):

1. Require body cameras at all times. (Have someone trained to watching all active cops in the department. Once one feed goes out notify officer immediately. If unable to fix immediately, officer is to return to precinct and be supplied with a new one. Not to engage in any cop-like activities. Arrest with the buddy system to mitigate a person in custody when one camera goes out.)
    2. End chokeholds. No neck restraining, period.
    3. End qualified immunity. You're trained by the law. You shouldn't be able to go outside said bounds without no restriction.
    4. Stop spending on ridiculous toys, spend on the officers themselves. (The money saved on riot gear, tear gas, swat bullshit is going to more than make up for cameras and training.)
    5. No Han Solo shooting. As a cop, you do not shoot to kill first. You are trained to handle a deadly weapon. You are trained to act under pressure. Shoot to disarm or don't shoot first. Cameras will help tell the story here.

Don't think that this stuff is unreasonable. Would make things go a lot smoother. People wouldn't have to videotape every encounter with a cop. People could feel secure that the cop has a level of oversight that will prevent police brutality. (Again brutality is not limited to death.)
    You are a one man echo chamber.