Page 171 of 274 FirstFirst ... 71121161169170171172173181221271 ... LastLast
Results 3,401 to 3,420 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The current rate in MS is 17.9% That has been dropping though. One observation: I may very well be wrong but from what I can tell most of the nursing home deaths here, and we have had a lot, are occurring in the nursing home, not the hospital. Are we not sending nursing home COVID patients to the hospital anymore?
    Yes that has been happening with the nursing homes and that is a really good question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    BMI is misleading. You can be overweight by that scale and only be 4% body fat.
    I agree, but that's why the Risk limit is a BMI of 40

BTW a 40 BMI is 6'0" and over 300 lbs...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Do we know how long the immunity lasts if you get COVID?

For Mers it is about 34 months and Sars, it's about 2-3 years.

For the 'ronas that cause a cold, it's about 6 months for immunity and a year to "make it a mild infection"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    Do we know how long the immunity lasts if you get COVID?
    No, we do not even know that you will get immunity. The assumption is you do. With the other coronaviruses it is 3 months to 2 years.

vCash
    Oh jeez. That means people could potentially get reinfected this fall.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    No, we do not even know that you will get immunity. The assumption is you do. With the other coronaviruses it is 3 months to 2 years.
    Fauci did say something today that gives hope. He said that with so many people's body having the ability to fight off the virus naturally with no effect, that will help speed up the process of a new vaccine. The vaccine might just be replicating that. . A lot of vaccine I guess infect you with the virus to be immune but replicating this process of the body naturally fighting off the virus could possible speed things up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    IF everyone is immune after catching it, spreading slows down. High end projections put it at 70% of the world population. Never, will 100% of the population catch it.
    Is everyone immune? I'm not sure that has been established.

No other coronavirus renders life long immunity...I don't see why this one would be any different. This is why I'm saying that this will become endimic to humanity (much like the flu, cold, etc). I'm sure they will have better treatments over time so that will help with hospitalization, duration, and mortality rate. Eventually they may create a seasonal vaccine (much like the flu) that would require a booster each year. They could possibly make a DNA/RNA based vaccince but those require extensive research and testing. Any time you alter someone's DNA to combat an illness you are potentially creating a cascade of other issues.

vCash
    Fauci did say something today that gives hope. He said that with so many people's body having the ability to fight off the virus naturally with no effect, that will help speed up the process of a new vaccine. The vaccine might just be replicating that. . A lot of vaccine I guess infect you with the virus to be immune but replicating this process of the body naturally fighting off the virus could possible speed things up.
    That is literally what a vaccine is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    That is literally what a vaccine is.
    Yes I understood that but what facui said they may not have to go that approach. They may be able to replicate what goes on in those who have no symptoms and the body naturally fighting off the virus.

vCash
    Yes I understood that but what facui said they may not have to go that approach. They may be able to replicate what goes on in those who have no symptoms and the body naturally fighting off the virus.
    Ok I misunderstood your post. You mean from a treament standpoint?

vCash
    Is everyone immune? I'm not sure that has been established.

No other coronavirus renders life long immunity...I don't see why this one would be any different. This is why I'm saying that this will become endimic to humanity (much like the flu, cold, etc). I'm sure they will have better treatments over time so that will help with hospitalization, duration, and mortality rate. Eventually they may create a seasonal vaccine (much like the flu) that would require a booster each year. They could possibly make a DNA/RNA based vaccince but those require extensive research and testing. Any time you alter someone's DNA to combat an illness you are potentially creating a cascade of other issues.
    Why did sars and mers and other coronaviruses go away without a vaccine? Herd immunity due to minimal mutation of the virus?

vCash
    Ok I misunderstood your post. You mean from a treament standpoint?
    Yes but I might have misunderstood him. He is hard to follow sometimes but he did say if they can replicate how certain people have not adverse effect from the virus, that would not take as long.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Why did sars and mers and other coronaviruses go away without a vaccine? Herd immunity due to minimal mutation of the virus?
    Because all viruses are different? The flu has never gone away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Because all viruses are different? The flu has never gone away.
    I think that's bc the flu mutates. There are four strains (A through D, with only A and B being prevalent I believe) and A and B mutate often, thereby decreasing immunity.

Early studies show minimal mutation of covid 19, so that is good. It is a RNA virus and several of those have been largely eradicated without a vaccine because they didn't mutate fast enough to outpace immunity.

vCash
    For SARS
    Where has SARS gone? The short answer is that public health measures were effective. Although SARS caused a reported 774 deaths worldwide between November 2002 and July 2003, case detection, isolation, quarantine, along with contact tracing, broke the chain of transmission.

For MERS, they think it was mostly spread by Camels..
    The disease therefore seems to spread due to frequent animal-to-human transmission, from camels to humans, with limited subsequent human-to-human transmissions.

BTW Reading the warning of this pisses me of....

SARS also exists as a potentiality in the wild. SARS-like viruses have been reported in a colony of bats in China?s Yunnan Province. From analyses of whole-genome sequences of these novel bat coronaviruses, it has been suggested that they are closely related to the SARS coronavirus. A 2013 paper in Nature reported ?the strongest evidence to date that Chinese horseshoe bats are natural reservoirs of SARS coronaviruses, and that intermediate hosts may not be necessary for direct human infection.? The study also suggested a potential for future spillovers and stressed ?the importance of pathogen-discovery programs targeting high-risk wildlife groups in emerging disease hotspots as a strategy for pandemic preparedness.? In other words, the complex events that triggered the disease outbreak in 2003 could reoccur.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    For SARS

For MERS, they think it was mostly spread by Camels..

BTW Reading the warning of this pisses me of....
    Effin China bats

vCash
    Effin China bats
    SARS was scary if you got it. But it was much easier to contain because if you had it, you knew you had it. You weren't contagious until you were showing symptoms. I think around only 10,000 people were infected and they were able to completely eliminate it through quarantine and contact tracing.

Ebola outbreaks are similar.

Just for kicks, imagine Ebola with asymptomatic spreaders. Now that'd be a ****ing nightmare.
    Last edited by hacker; 05-13-2020 at 09:06 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    SARS was scary if you got it. But it was much easier to contain because if you had it, you knew you had it. You weren't contagious until you were showing symptoms. I think around only 10,000 people were infected and they were able to completely eliminate it through quarantine and contact tracing.

Ebola outbreaks are similar.

Just for kicks, imagine Ebola with asymptomatic spreaders. Now that'd be a ****ing nightmare.
    Swollen testicles the size of grapefruits. (or maybe that's marburg).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Swollen testicles the size of grapefruits. (or maybe that's marburg).
    I remember getting the mumps when I was a little kid. My dad who broke his back in Vietnam was home from the hospital. I remember hearing him talking to my mom about Marines getting mumps while over there, not being able to get treatment, having those mumps drop to their nuts and testicles becoming swollen. It scared the hell out of me.

vCash
    I remember getting the mumps when I was a little kid. My dad who broke his back in Vietnam was home from the hospital. I remember hearing him talking to my mom about Marines getting mumps while over there, not being able to get treatment, having those mumps drop to their nuts and testicles becoming swollen. It scared the hell out of me.
    Yeah the mumps can sterilize you, it's pretty serious if not taken care of properly. Glad I never got it.