Page 17 of 274 FirstFirst ... 715161718192767117 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    The problem is our PEOPLE. I know several people who are STILL making light of this, making fun of people taking it seriously, and still going about life as if it's normal. These people are still going to restaurants, movies, stores, letting their kids play on the McDonald's playground, etc. These PEOPLE are the problem. I don't know what else our Local, State, and Federal Governments can do without declaring marshal law. People, in general, are stupid. Americans are also incredibly self-centered. THIS is why we can't turn the tide on this thing yet. By the time the stupid, selfish people get on board, it will already be a total disaster.
    This is so true. Disgusting, shameful, pathetic, and sad people.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Definitely a skewed stat to try to use in an argument.

I get his point, but right now that stat doesn't carry much weight for his defense. 7-10 days from now I will listen to those stats a little more.
    This is the crux of the issue. People being reactive vs. proactive with a disease. It's one thing to be the reactive party in a war, but this is not that. This is a disease and we must be proactive. America being reactive has already cost 99 American lives. If it was you or your family member / friend then you'd say that's a pretty unacceptable price. I'd rather none of us have to reach that point. I'd rather be called crazy and help protect people's lives from this pandemic and have all the people saying it's an overreaction be right instead of what we've had happen. Now I'm proven right and people are becoming confirmed as injected more and more each minute. A 36% increase in 24 hours shows how little testing we were actually doing.

vCash
    Please if you don't mind, point me in the direction of this end all, be all, reliable source you get your news from. You definitely seem to have all the answers.

Bottom line is, people have their "source" that they rely on and always have and that's what they stick too. No, that doesn't make the sources accurate. But you expect people to do the research all of a sudden now? You are right, you can't make a blanket statement and blame this on "The Media". But at the same time, there is so much misinformation out there, and so much he said, she said, you can't expect there to be a clear and concise conversation amongst multiple people. Everyone says what they heard (and in your case lash out and call people dumb and paranoid if they disagree with you). The news is told one thing reporting what they think is true and then something new comes out and it contradicts what was originally reported. No one can win in this scenario. This happens constantly and about other stuff other than Covid-19. Get real.

To pretend like ANY and EVERY news outlet shoots everything straight is being naive. I get what you are saying, 'Do your research', 'Don't listen to everything that is spoon-fed to you', 'Don't spread rumors that you don't know are factual'. All valid points, but why do you think that some big light switch has been flipped for everyone and now people get it? You would think this would be the case but you're living in faux bubble if you expect this to happen. You might as well ask everyone to set up a lab and start performing experiments.

No that isn't an excuse for ignorance, but step into reality brother. You act like most media outlets don't run off ratings. And today, drama and the like create ratings. To think they aren't still competing for ratings (a la money) you're naive again. Most people are going to ABC, CNN, FOX, etc. You know the ones. Or just google and click the first link with the headline that suits what they want to hear. Don't even try to deny that's not the case unless you just want to make things convenient for your vacuum argument. Again that is their fault, but it's reality. I turned on one of those media outlets last night and every single thing was fear-mongering with a few sprinkles of hope stories. How would that not incite hysteria? They don't provide answers people are looking for because there aren't any answers yet. They just create more questions and unknowns. There was not one single other story spoken about other than Covid. So why do you expect people to be able to think for themselves when literally everywhere you go Covid is being talked about? Email inboxes are flooded with Company A or Company B's response to Covid like that makes a difference to anyone. Most all probably not on the same page. The obvious answer is don't read them and fend for yourself.
    One thing is more than clear at this point. There are a couple of particular networks, one in particular that have failed this country. Once this is over and if you still watch that network you need your head checked. Its not really debatable at this point. One network has intentionally downplayed this. They have intentionally put the country at risk

As far as where I get my news. I like the wires, AP, Reuters. I like PBS and the BBC. New York times and washing post are generally fine, I try not to put too much into editorials.

One thing is VERY CLEAR. there is a large section of our country that is VERY unknowledgeable about whats going on. Its not really happening with all people and all media. It is clearly centered around one type of news source. You cant really deny it. The facts are the facts. A lot of people here get their news from crap sources. Every news source has issues.....but certain ones have a lot more issues than others. And if you group together the people that understand whats going on and the ones that dont.....you will see a clear line drawn about where they get their news

Its not hard to find good accurate news. If you cant that is really on you. Its not hard to know if information you are getting is correct. Dont stick to a single source. The problem is people....on both sides.....stick only to "their" media. If you only stick to one side you will never get correct info
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-17-2020 at 02:37 PM.

vCash
    I'll take a break after this one, but this may put it in perspective for some:

[tweet2]1239990997960011776[/tweet2]

vCash
    Is 20% the going rate for infected needing hospitalization and requiring ventilators?
    5% of Infected needed ventilators in China.

WHO data

The US won?t run out of machines. The US has many makers and many in warehouses at DME companies.

We are probably gonna end up with 500,000 extra units for Mexico and Canada when it?s all said and done.

Many of the US vulnerable already have a ventilator.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 03-17-2020 at 02:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    How many ventilators does och have? Golden triangle in general? If 20% of the infected require hospitalization (anyone that needs to be hooked to a ventilator, since otherwise you are sent home to quarantine and ride it out), how many infected in the golden triangle infected before the numbers indicate they'd be running out of ventilators and decisions on who gets a ventilator and who dies are being made?
    The scary thing is Italy has MORE hospital beds per person that the USA. So for the people wanting to play down the severity of Italy because of the age, some of that will be offset by our lack of hospital beds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post

You need to go to worldometers.info and look at the daily stats. Daily new cases and daily deaths were actually down for Italy yesterday. It's still a lot but if you look at China's stats about a month to 7 weeks you start to see a decline in the virus from first reported. Maybe Italy has peaked...maybe not. Time will tell.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post

who is that guy and where is he getting his numbers?

I think the prespective people need is Italy actually just had their largest increase in both cases and deaths.

3,600 new cases yesterday; 364 deaths yesterday

https://twitter.com/ABC/status/1239556975496761349[/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    This is the crux of the issue. People being reactive vs. proactive with a disease. It's one thing to be the reactive party in a war, but this is not that. This is a disease and we must be proactive. America being reactive has already cost 99 American lives. If it was you or your family member / friend then you'd say that's a pretty unacceptable price. I'd rather none of us have to reach that point. I'd rather be called crazy and help protect people's lives from this pandemic and have all the people saying it's an overreaction be right instead of what we've had happen. Now I'm proven right and people are becoming confirmed as injected more and more each minute. A 36% increase in 24 hours shows how little testing we were actually doing.
    Are you implying what I stated is the problem, therefore, I am part of the problem?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    who is that guy and where is he getting his numbers.

I think the prespective people need is Italy actually just had their largest increase in both cases and deaths.

Their numbers dropped from yesterday to today. It's still a lot though.

vCash
    One thing is more than clear at this point. There are a couple of particular networks, one in particular that have failed this country. Once this is over and if you still watch that network you need your head checked. Its not really debatable at this point. One network has intentionally downplayed this. They have intentionally put the country at risk

As far as where I get my news. I like the wires, AP, Reuters. I like PBS and the BBC. New York times and washing post are generally fine, I try not to put too much into editorials.

One thing is VERY CLEAR. there is a large section of our country that is VERY unknowledgeable about whats going on. Its not really happening with all people and all media. It is clearly centered around one type of news source. You cant really deny it. The facts are the facts. A lot of people here get their news from crap sources. Every news source has issues.....but certain ones have a lot more issues than others. And if you group together the people that understand whats going on and the ones that dont.....you will see a clear line drawn about where they get their news

Its not hard to find good accurate news. If you cant that is really on you. Its not hard to know if information you are getting is correct. Dont stick to a single source. The problem is people....on both sides.....stick only to "their" media. If you only stick to one side you will never get correct info
    No doubt. Don't deny or disagree with anything there.

I've also thought before this even came about that if you rely on implied networks or the ones I originally mentioned you need your head checked and to quit being a follower or so one-sided. It's not the way anything else in the world works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Also dropped on March 10th and has been around 3x that day's numbers ever since.

vCash
    How many ventilators does och have? Golden triangle in general? If 20% of the infected require hospitalization (anyone that needs to be hooked to a ventilator, since otherwise you are sent home to quarantine and ride it out), how many infected in the golden triangle infected before the numbers indicate they'd be running out of ventilators and decisions on who gets a ventilator and who dies are being made?
    Is 20% the going rate for infected needing hospitalization and requiring ventilators?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    5% of Infected needed ventilators in China.

WHO data

The US won?t run out of machines. The US has many makers and many in warehouses at DME companies.

We are probably gonna end up with 500,000 extra units for Mexico and Canada when it?s all said and done.

Many of the US vulnerable already have a ventilator.

Thanks for looking that up.

So where did 20% come from? Why even pluck that number out of thin air and bring it here? Why try and make it an extreme scenario when it's not close to reaching that point.

Read my words before you respond. I didn't say it's not possible, but this is part of where the "why are people freaking out?" comments come from. It's not that all who ask that don't understand the severity of it, it's this type of hooplah that people read and then turn around and ask their friend questions using 20% as their jumping-off point.

vCash
    You need to learn to discern underlying facts from opinion and editorializing.
    You need to learn reading comprehension. Would love to know your thought process on how you came to that conclusion.

They are often co-mingled cause folks don't like reading dry data, but any researched article should at least providing link directly to their data/research that supports their opinion/conclusion. Rarely does the media outright lie about data, there might be some misleading use of data, but that's easy to spot with any level of critical thinking. People want an easy knee jerk reaction instead of stepping back and wondering if maybe the underlying data supports a position you previously hadn't considered or opposed, so it's "fake news".
    It's fake news because they actually lie. And they whether they are intentionally misleading rather than lying (to the extent you see that as different), the result is the same. People can't take the news at face value, which diminishes a lot of the value of the news.

And I get it, we have busy lives, it's much easier to have a knee jerk reaction to a headline or a first paragraph than it is to read what's behind the article, but instead of forming a hard and fast opinion that it's fake news cause you don't like the headline, maybe make a point to look deeper into this particle issue later when you have time. Or if not then don't dig your heels into a stance and refuse to hear the facts that counter your position.
    No, you really don't get it and must be fortunate enough to live in a nice little bubble. It's not about having busy lives although certainly there are people who are rationally ignorant. Those people who are rationally ignorant probably have figured this stuff out for a while, even if maybe a few days later than they would have if we had decent media. It's about a significant portion of our population not having the ability and/or inclination to research an issue of importance and the only media with any widespread reach have taken a torch to their credibility over the past decade or so for a combination of reasons, some dealing with partisanship and stupidity but also some driven by market structure and incentives.

vCash
    who is that guy and where is he getting his numbers?

3,600 new cases yesterday; 364 deaths yesterday

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    Gotcha….these daily numbers are confusing me, because with the time difference I cant ever tell if I am a day behind.

I am seeing 3,600 cases....but I guess that was for the 15th? And right now the numbers of the 16th should be coming? I think that is correct

vCash
    Gotcha….these daily numbers are confusing me, because with the time difference I cant ever tell if I am a day behind.

I am seeing 3,600 cases....but I guess that was for the 15th? And right now the numbers of the 16th should be coming? I think that is correct
    Yeah, it's calculated at +0 GMT so the times are a little wonky. With that being said I just read where Italy is kind of fudging their numbers a bit because "new cases" are being reported based on a calculation that includes the new cases that day MINUS the recovered cases and deaths for that day. So they are actually reporting the difference in active cases...if I explained that correctly. No one else is doing that. Also, it's interesting that almost a full half of their cases are coming out of Lombardy. I'm not sure what the significance of that area is because I'm not really up on my Italian geography.

vCash
    Well the good news (if you can call it good news) is that the death rate in the US is comparatively low to that of other countries. Almost 6,000 cases with 100 deaths gives us a death rate of around 1.6%. Still a lot of people, but that number should go down even further with increased testing. For comparison sakes, the world death rate is 4%. Italy's is almost 8%.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Well the good news (if you can call it good news) is that the death rate in the US is comparatively low to that of other countries. Almost 6,000 cases with 100 deaths gives us a death rate of around 1.6%. Still a lot of people, but that number should go down even further with increased testing. For comparison sakes, the world death rate is 4%. Italy's is almost 8%.
    I think Italy combined with lack of testing for mild cases and (in many cases) lack of quality screening tests are really throwing the stats off.

ETA: It absolutely blows my mind. I just read an article where there are complaints in Italy because Covid-19 POSITIVE individuals were made to return to work at the post office....until they were hospitalized and subsequently died three days later. Good grief...we may start seeing some of the real reasons behind Italy's death rate as info starts to leak out. That is inexcusable!!
    Last edited by Dawgology; 03-17-2020 at 03:32 PM.

vCash

Its not really happening with all people and all media. It is clearly centered around one type of news source. You cant really deny it. The facts are the facts. A lot of people here get their news from crap sources. Every news source has issues.....but certain ones have a lot more issues than others. And if you group together the people that understand whats going on and the ones that dont.....you will see a clear line drawn about where they get their news
    Yeah, this is bullshit. The fact that it's been made political BY BOTH SIDES is contributing EQUALLY to the problem. You're adding to it yourself with your own editorial. Keep to the facts.
    Last edited by PMDawg; 03-17-2020 at 06:17 PM.

vCash
    This is so true. Disgusting, shameful, pathetic, and sad people.
    Very similar to those panicking and hoarding.