Page 16 of 274 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PMDawg View Post
    The problem is our PEOPLE. I know several people who are STILL making light of this, making fun of people taking it seriously, and still going about life as if it's normal. These people are still going to restaurants, movies, stores, letting their kids play on the McDonald's playground, etc. These PEOPLE are the problem. I don't know what else our Local, State, and Federal Governments can do without declaring marshal law. People, in general, are stupid. Americans are also incredibly self-centered. THIS is why we can't turn the tide on this thing yet. By the time the stupid, selfish people get on board, it will already be a total disaster.
    Ron White put it best, I believe...

vCash
    ETA: I see they have not been confirmed, only exposed to someone themselves. So hopefully they did not catch it.
    Same with where my wife works. MDH and CDC investigated the person that tested positive in Jackson and notified anyone they came into contact with. Two people that work in her division had been in the same room during a training session with the positive person (along with 25 others). All of those are quarantined for two weeks now even though they all tested negative.

vCash
    When will Italy update cases? It's been at 27,980 for a while now. I know it's risen, but I'd like to see by how much

vCash
    The problem is our PEOPLE. I know several people who are STILL making light of this, making fun of people taking it seriously, and still going about life as if it's normal. These people are still going to restaurants, movies, stores, letting their kids play on the McDonald's playground, etc. These PEOPLE are the problem. I don't know what else our Local, State, and Federal Governments can do without declaring marshal law. People, in general, are stupid. Americans are also incredibly self-centered. THIS is why we can't turn the tide on this thing yet. By the time the stupid, selfish people get on board, it will already be a total disaster.
    I hate to be mean but that's also called natural selection. Incidentally, I believe this is why America can't turn the tide on a great many things...not just this virus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When will Italy update cases? It's been at 27,980 for a while now. I know it's risen, but I'd like to see by how much
    Hopefully it's postive news. (I mean...negative...news....in regards to testing). I'm kind of addicted to the worldometers site right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    What are you talking about? The Media isn't one singular thing. The media isn't lying to you. SOME media may be lying to you, but that is your fault if you listen to them. It is on you to research your own sources. If you are getting your news from unreliable sources that is on YOU. You cant blame this on the media We saw this coming.

I am sorry but your post screams of paranoia and bad choices in news. The media hasn't been lying to me over and over again. I know how to research and fact check. I know how to figure out what is reliable and what isn't.

I am sorry if you have spent the last few years getting your news from liars. Maybe look at where you are getting your news, but dont blame this on anyone else. We make our own choices on where to get info.

To blame this on the media is lazy and flat out wrong

ETA I scanned the article you linked. I didn't see any lies in it. I am confused. Did you post that to show me an example of a news source that has correct info? The article doesn't help your argument. Not at all. What was incorrect?

Please if you don't mind, point me in the direction of this end all, be all, reliable source you get your news from. You definitely seem to have all the answers.

Bottom line is, people have their "source" that they rely on and always have and that's what they stick too. No, that doesn't make the sources accurate. But you expect people to do the research all of a sudden now? You are right, you can't make a blanket statement and blame this on "The Media". But at the same time, there is so much misinformation out there, and so much he said, she said, you can't expect there to be a clear and concise conversation amongst multiple people. Everyone says what they heard (and in your case lash out and call people dumb and paranoid if they disagree with you). The news is told one thing reporting what they think is true and then something new comes out and it contradicts what was originally reported. No one can win in this scenario. This happens constantly and about other stuff other than Covid-19. Get real.

To pretend like ANY and EVERY news outlet shoots everything straight is being naive. I get what you are saying, 'Do your research', 'Don't listen to everything that is spoon-fed to you', 'Don't spread rumors that you don't know are factual'. All valid points, but why do you think that some big light switch has been flipped for everyone and now people get it? You would think this would be the case but you're living in faux bubble if you expect this to happen. You might as well ask everyone to set up a lab and start performing experiments.

No that isn't an excuse for ignorance, but step into reality brother. You act like most media outlets don't run off ratings. And today, drama and the like create ratings. To think they aren't still competing for ratings (a la money) you're naive again. Most people are going to ABC, CNN, FOX, etc. You know the ones. Or just google and click the first link with the headline that suits what they want to hear. Don't even try to deny that's not the case unless you just want to make things convenient for your vacuum argument. Again that is their fault, but it's reality. I turned on one of those media outlets last night and every single thing was fear-mongering with a few sprinkles of hope stories. How would that not incite hysteria? They don't provide answers people are looking for because there aren't any answers yet. They just create more questions and unknowns. There was not one single other story spoken about other than Covid. So why do you expect people to be able to think for themselves when literally everywhere you go Covid is being talked about? Email inboxes are flooded with Company A or Company B's response to Covid like that makes a difference to anyone. Most all probably not on the same page. The obvious answer is don't read them and fend for yourself.
    Last edited by StateDawg44; 03-17-2020 at 12:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Please if you don't mind, point me in the direction of this end all, be all, reliable source you get your news from. You definitely seem to have all the answers.

Bottom line is, people have their "source" that they rely on and always have and that's what they stick too. No, that doesn't make the sources accurate. But you expect people to do the research all of a sudden now? You are right, you can't make a blanket statement and blame this on "The Media". But at the same time, there is so much misinformation out there, and so much he said, she said, you can't expect there to be a clear and concise conversation amongst multiple people. Everyone says what they heard (and in your case lash out and call people dumb and paranoid if they disagree with you). The news is told one thing reporting what they think is true and then something new comes out and it contradicts what was originally reported. No one can win in this scenario. This happens constantly and about other stuff other than Covid-19. Get real.

To pretend like ANY and EVERY news outlet shoots everything straight is being naive. I get what you are saying, 'Do your research', 'Don't listen to everything that is spoon-fed to you', 'Don't spread rumors that you don't know are factual'. All valid points, but why do you think that some big light switch has been flipped for everyone and now people get it? You would think this would be the case but you're living in faux bubble if you expect this to happen. You might as well ask everyone to set up a lab and start performing experiments.

No that isn't an excuse for ignorance, but step into reality brother. You act like most media outlets don't run off ratings. And today, drama and the like create ratings. To think they aren't still competing for ratings (a la money) you're naive again. Most people are going to ABC, CNN, FOX, etc. You know the ones. Or just google and click the first link with the headline that suits what they want to hear. Don't even try to deny that's not the case unless you just want to make things convenient for your vacuum argument. Again that is their fault, but it's reality. I turned on one of those media outlets last night and every single thing was fear-mongering with a few sprinkles of hope stories. How would that not incite hysteria? They don't provide answers people are looking for because there aren't any answers yet. They just create more questions and unknowns. There was not one single other story spoken about other than Covid. So why do you expect people to be able to think for themselves when literally everywhere you go Covid is being talked about? Email inboxes are flooded with Company A or Company B's response to Covid like that makes a difference to anyone. Most all probably not on the same page. The obvious answer is don't read them and fend for yourself.
    Wow, this MIT educated guy disagrees about the press & "deep state" not being involved with sensationalizing this. Please see the following link.

Doctor with 4 Degrees from MIT Warns 'Deep State' Using Coronavirus Fear-Mongering To Suppress Dissent

https://www.westernjournal.com/docto...tm_content=ttp

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Wow, this MIT educated guy disagrees about the press & "deep state" not being involved with sensationalizing this. Please see the following link.

Doctor with 4 Degrees from MIT Warns 'Deep State' Using Coronavirus Fear-Mongering To Suppress Dissent

That source is garbage.

Source: https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/western-journalism/
    WHY IS EVERYONE YELLING?!?

vCash
    Italy's update

[tweet2]1239963467206905858[/tweet2]

7.94% death rate

Of closed cases, 54% recovered and 46% died

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Italy's update

[tweet2]1239963467206905858[/tweet2]

7.94% death rate

Of closed cases, 54% recovered and 46% died
    One of the oldest populations in Europe, not rich, 25% smoke, limited HVAC deployment, and they stopped having kids.

Sad

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    One of the oldest populations in Europe, not rich, 25% smoke, limited HVAC deployment, and they stopped having kids.

Sad
    Sad, indeed.

Of the US's closed cases, 43% recovered and 57% died.

vCash
    But let's keep trying to come up with reasons why this isn't going to happen to us.

vCash

Speaking as a bureaucrat - you lost me at "deep state".
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Speaking as a bureaucrat - you lost me at "deep state".
    Deep State - a body of people, typically influential members of government agencies or the military, believed to be involved in the secret manipulation or control of government policy.

vCash
    Deep State - a body of people, typically influential members of government agencies or the military, believed to be involved in the secret manipulation or control of government policy.
    It's essentially been co-opted to now mean "anyone who doesn't swear fealty and undying loyalty". Not very American, tbqh.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Sad, indeed.

Of the US's closed cases, 43% recovered and 57% died.
    Almost half of those deaths are at the nursing home in Seattle.

Doesn’t change your point. I actually see the USA as many countries in one. NYC, LA,and SF are going to have different outcomes than other places. It makes a difference to live on 1/2 acre versus 900 sq-ft apartment in Manhattan.

It even makes a difference if you share public sidewalks, subway, Ubers, vs driving your own exclusive Chevy Tahoe

vCash
    Definitely a skewed stat to try to use in an argument.

I get his point, but right now that stat doesn't carry much weight for his defense. 7-10 days from now I will listen to those stats a little more.

vCash

Doesn’t change your point. I actually see the USA as many countries in one. NYC, LA,and SF are going to have different outcomes than other places. It makes a difference to live on 1/2 acre versus 900 sq-ft apartment in Manhattan.

It even makes a difference if you share public sidewalks, subway, Ubers, vs driving your own exclusive Chevy Tahoe
    True and this rural living has its advantages vs the big city life.

vCash
    How many ventilators does och have? Golden triangle in general? If 20% of the infected require hospitalization (anyone that needs to be hooked to a ventilator, since otherwise you are sent home to quarantine and ride it out), how many infected in the golden triangle infected before the numbers indicate they'd be running out of ventilators and decisions on who gets a ventilator and who dies are being made?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgs View Post
    How many ventilators does och have? Golden triangle in general? If 20% of the infected require hospitalization (anyone that needs to be hooked to a ventilator, since otherwise you are sent home to quarantine and ride it out), how many infected in the golden triangle infected before the numbers indicate they'd be running out of ventilators and decisions on who gets a ventilator and who dies are being made?

Is 20% the going rate for infected needing hospitalization and requiring ventilators?