Page 151 of 274 FirstFirst ... 51101141149150151152153161201251 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,020 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm not saying hospitals are doing this or not, but this article says a woman's COVID treatments was $34,927.43. That times 87 is over 3 million dollars, so hardly insignificant
    https://time.com/5806312/coronavirus-treatment-cost/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    So you're saying that an increased hospitalization of 87 patients statewide between April 15th - May 1st is enough evidence for you to claim that all hospitals are admitting to increase revenue? Also, vents and ICUs are relatively flat during that time frame.

As has already been stated, there is a good chance nursing homes or long term care locations may be referring residents to hospitals to remove them from their situation and to get better care. This care doesn't have to be an ICU or a vent, but a hospital has more resources. It couldn't be that though could it; it has to be that hospitals are greedy and need the revenue.

I'm sure the reimbursement of 87 COVID patients will ensure that all the hospitals in MS will stay liquid....
    87? It's a 121 increase since April 15, and a 214 increase since April 12. Which is nearly double what it was on April 12.

And I'm not saying that hospitals are gaming the system. What I am saying is you could make that argument given the fact that admissions have nearly doubled despite vents and icu staying the same or going down. Right or wrong, That makes it look like people are being admitted now who a month ago would not have been admitted (i.e., hospitals have relaxed the level of sickness required to be admitted).

But yes, hospitals are greedy and do need the revenue and those extra 214 reimbursements at a 20% higher rate than normal absolutely could prevent some employees from being laid off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    87? It's a 121 increase since April 15, and a 214 increase since April 12. Which is nearly double what it was on April 12.

And I'm not saying that hospitals are gaming the system. What I am saying is you could make that argument given the fact that admissions have nearly doubled despite vents and icu staying the same or going down. Right or wrong, That makes it look like people are being admitted now who a month ago would not have been admitted (i.e., hospitals have relaxed the level of sickness required to be admitted).

But yes, hospitals are greedy and do need the revenue and those extra 214 reimbursements at a 20% higher rate than normal absolutely could prevent some employees from being laid off.
    Good post. I'm not saying there's anything nefarious going on. I deal with hospitals, home health agencies and hospices in 8 states and I know how this works. Hospitals admins right now are trying to keep staff and stay in business so they CAN help people. Just because they may be admitting positive covid patients with less severe symptoms than before doesn't mean they're doing anything wrong, they're treating people who are sick. This isn't a conspiracy theory and the people I know and deal with are not trying to "cheat the system" they're trying to treat the sick AND pay the bills.

vCash
    I'm not saying hospitals are doing this or not, but this article says a woman's COVID treatments was $34,927.43. That times 87 is over 3 million dollars, so hardly insignificant
    UMMC's revenues for FY 18 were $1.097 BILLION!

https://www.umc.edu/Comptroller/file...al-Version.pdf

With all due respect, $3 million is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about the combined revenues for all the hospitals in the state of MS.

Admitting COVID patients isn't a scam by hospitals to increase revenues.

vCash

May 1st - 424; April 15th - 337 : Net difference 87.

You're also saying that all things are equal during this time frame. We all know testing has somewhat improved. You would have to look and see if one organization was admitting at a higher rate than others, but remember - we're talking about the entire state of MS here! MS isn't known for having the best population health to begin with so it would make more sense that if COVID truly spread throughout the state at a higher rate, due to the underlying conditions of a majority of the population, hospitals would be admitting more.

Yes, hospitals are in the business of making money. I just don't think you realize the squeeze reimbursement from the government and insurance providers place on hospitals. It isn't like the old days when hospitals were making money hand over fist; as these days insurance companies and the government are paying less for the same care previously provided.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I hate to tell you guys this but you just can't admit someone to the hospital just because you want to. Not if you want to get paid.
    I mean- yeah. The patients show up on their own. Hospitals don't have to convince people to show up.

vCash
    UMMC's revenues for FY 18 were $1.097 BILLION!

https://www.umc.edu/Comptroller/file...al-Version.pdf

With all due respect, $3 million is a drop in the bucket when you're talking about the combined revenues for all the hospitals in the state of MS.

Admitting COVID patients isn't a scam by hospitals to increase revenues.
    Sorry, didn't realize all the hospitalizations were at ummc. I thought some would be at the neshoba general, Wayne general, and laird's of the world. My bad

ETA... you think cutting out all elective surgeries cut into hospital revenue?
    Last edited by msstate7; 05-03-2020 at 05:31 PM.

vCash
    Tennessee hospitals running out of money due to lack of patients

https://amp.tennessean.com/amp/3044866001

vCash

Yes they are, I have accounts all over Tennessee and some are on the verge of having to shutdown completely.

vCash
    Sorry, didn't realize all the hospitalizations were at ummc. I thought some would be at the neshoba general, Wayne general, and laird's of the world. My bad

ETA... you think cutting out all elective surgeries cut into hospital revenue?
    I was using UMMC to illustrate the minimal amount being debated here. Total revenues for all MS hospitals was reported at $34.5 billion, so $3 million is minuscule.

https://www.ahd.com/states/hospital_MS.html

To answer your question, yes - elective surgeries and outpatient procedures are where these systems are getting hammered financially. Admitting COVID patients isn't a drop in the bucket to what they're losing each month against what they had budgeted.

The problem is that people aren't just going to flood hospitals to get that elective surgery when restrictions ease. It's a shame because you aren't going to pick up COVID just by being in the hospital, but people's perceptions and confidence are easily swayed.

vCash

Article behind a paywall. Were the hospitals referenced rural hospitals?

vCash
    May 1st - 424; April 15th - 337 : Net difference 87.

You're also saying that all things are equal during this time frame. We all know testing has somewhat improved. You would have to look and see if one organization was admitting at a higher rate than others, but remember - we're talking about the entire state of MS here! MS isn't known for having the best population health to begin with so it would make more sense that if COVID truly spread throughout the state at a higher rate, due to the underlying conditions of a majority of the population, hospitals would be admitting more.

Yes, hospitals are in the business of making money. I just don't think you realize the squeeze reimbursement from the government and insurance providers place on hospitals. It isn't like the old days when hospitals were making money hand over fist; as these days insurance companies and the government are paying less for the same care previously provided.
    Why May 1st? The chart gives you May 2nd - 458.

vCash

The real reason the ICU and vent stats aren't going up as much is that vents are not being used as much or as quick. Now. There is some hint that vents can make things worse.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I mean- yeah. The patients show up on their own. Hospitals don't have to convince people to show up.
    What I meant was there are criterispa that have to be met to admit someone. Docs can't do it because they feel like it.

vCash
    Article behind a paywall. Were the hospitals referenced rural hospitals?
    Sorry, I read about half the article at first, but apparently wasn't paying that much attention. I can't access the article now. Maybe someone will read it for both of us now and copy/paste it. Pretty sure it was widespread for the whole state though

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    The real reason the ICU and vent stats aren't going up as much is that vents are not being used as much or as quick. Now. There is some hint that vents can make things worse.
    That is true.

But the icu numbers not rising along with the hospitalization numbers tells me either a treatment is working to prevent those hospitalized from ending up in the icu at the same rate as a month ago, or less severe patients are being admitted now than were a month ago (which is fine and makes sense considering hospitals were empty and lying folks off).

vCash
    And I get times have changed. But hospitals are still making a crap ton of money. You talk about Ummc. They pay their ceo, Cook, 800k a year. They ok

vCash
    When I accessed the site earlier, May 2nd hadn't posted. Regardless, when looking statewide the numbers are insignificant to the topic that hospitals were admitting more to boost their revenues. Point still stands that when looking at nearly 10k staffed beds statewide, close to 500 inpatients are irrelevant.

And I get times have changed. But hospitals are still making a crap ton of money. You talk about Ummc. They pay their ceo, Cook, 800k a year. They ok
    Not going to debate you here as I agree. Top salaries definitely skewed heavily at the top, but hospitals get a bad rap when insurance and government reimbursement tends to get a pass. There is enough waste within the entire system to cut costs.

vCash
    Where is your data to show this? I'd be interested in seeing where you see hospitalizations increasing.
    The hospitals I deal with had their highest number of COVID patients last week. They've also stopped using the "requirements" of fever etc. to allow testing. Patients are tested and have results same day in some cases.

vCash
    No talk about the supposed reduction in COVID 19 deaths by the CDC? Admittedly I haven't looked at it, but see it's being talked about a lot. Only 37,000 deaths? Surely someone screwed that up???