Page 148 of 274 FirstFirst ... 4898138146147148149150158198248 ... LastLast
Results 2,941 to 2,960 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Or hospitals are just admitting more people with less severe symptoms for treatment than before.
    That's very unlikely because hospitals lose money doing that. Hospitals don't want to admit mamaw with pneumonia.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I still want answer from those who think nothing should open back up, when is it ok to open up? The county w the largest amount of positive is 1.2%. So we sit tight until when?? Our economy is going to be brutal. Might crash anyway. But if we lock down any longer I assure you we are toast. More people are going to die. I get it. But social distancing was never designed to stop the virus, nor deaths. Just slow it. That's been done. And yes w had the highest number of cases yesterday. Again I get it. Prior to that we've been flat for a while w some small ups and downs. I'll say this again, the economic crisis from this will be 100x greater than the virus itself....
    The Federal guidelines were a pretty good guide to knowing when to open things up, but nobody had the patience or the willpower to follow them. Hopefully the new state and local business regulations will be good enough to keep a new outbreak under reasonable control while still allowing some commerce to take place, but business owners are going to get tired of those too. We’ll just have to see how all this plays out.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Just keep printing that money. Grandkids may end up speaking Chinese, but whatever...
    Hell, it won't be our grandkids speaking Chinese it'll be hacker and dano ... If they don't already *

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    That's very unlikely because hospitals lose money doing that. Hospitals don't want to admit mamaw with pneumonia.
    I'm talking about admitting postive covid patients with less severe symptoms than before, not just people off the street.

vCash
    But if they admit mamaw as a covid patient they make money and get a 20% higher premium payment, no?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    But if they admit mamaw as a covid patient they make money and get a 20% higher premium payment, no?
    Exactly.

vCash
    It is interesting to me that icu numbers have not risen and ventilator use has actually decreased, all while hospitalizations have risen sharply. Does that suggest that a treatment once hospitalized is working so as to avoid icu or ventilator use?
    From what I am seeing most people- even the ones that go to the hospital don't have to be put on a vent. Most of the patients I'm seeing are either morbidly obese or elderly. I've had a couple of exceptions but the vast majority are in one of those two categories.

vCash
    No because those types of patients drain the system. No one would admit that type of patient for the fun of it. It's expensive to take care of those types of patients. The hospital makes money from elective procedures and surgeries. If you come in for pneumonia, they are literally plotting how to get you out once you hit the door. Hospitals hate those types of patients.

vCash
    No because those types of patients drain the system. No one would admit that type of patient for the fun of it. It's expensive to take care of those types of patients. The hospital makes money from elective procedures and surgeries. If you come in for pneumonia, they are literally plotting how to get you out once you hit the door. Hospitals hate those types of patients.
    Got ya

vCash
    I'm talking about admitting postive covid patients with less severe symptoms than before, not just people off the street.
    I just don't see that happening. For one, administrators would have a fit because they are usually trying to get rid of patients. Two, you're saying a physician is falsely admitting and keeping a patient on a lockdown unit away from family. I haven't seen any of that happening in my hospital. They are trying to discharge as many COVID patients as possible, so they can get back to elective surgeries.

vCash
    I just don't see that happening. For one, administrators would have a fit because they are usually trying to get rid of patients. Two, you're saying a physician is falsely admitting and keeping a patient on a lockdown unit away from family. I haven't seen any of that happening in my hospital. They are trying to discharge as many COVID patients as possible, so they can get back to elective surgeries.
    Hospital beds have been sitting empty. I can tell you for a fact hospital admins don't like empty beds period. Where did you hear me say falsely admitting? I said positive covid patients being admitted for treament, nothing false about that at all.

ETA I do agree with you during normal times that yes elective surgeries are the money makers but these haven't been normal times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    The Federal guidelines were a pretty good guide to knowing when to open things up, but nobody had the patience or the willpower to follow them. Hopefully the new state and local business regulations will be good enough to keep a new outbreak under reasonable control while still allowing some commerce to take place, but business owners are going to get tired of those too. We?ll just have to see how all this plays out.
    The federal guidelines allowed for adjustment based on local conditions. If you're in NYC, yea, you probably need to see declining cases for two weeks before opening back up (although as long as you're running the subway, I'm not sure how much god locking down everything else does). IF you're in a place with empty hospitals and a small number of cases, there's no reason to spend another 3 or 4 weeks waiting to see declining cases while your hospitals sit empty.

vCash
    What about the ongoing pissing match between Tate and the speaker, Gunn, and delbert about whether the gov or the legislature should have the say so where the 1.25 billion in federal funds is allocated (if that is discussable)? Thoughts?

vCash
    Hospital beds have been sitting empty. I can tell you for a fact hospital admins don't like empty beds period. Where did you hear me say falsely admitting? I said positive covid patients being admitted for treament, nothing false about that at all.

ETA I do agree with you during normal times that yes elective surgeries are the money makers but these haven't been normal times.
    As others have said, hospitals aren't admitting patients unless there is a need. If anything, they're pushing patients home to self-monitor and quarantine. Regardless of reimbursement level, it wouldn't be covering the cost of providing care.

Add to that if you live in an area where you have more than one hospital, do you think administrators want to be known in the community as having a high inpatient COVID population? How would that work when restrictions ease and elective surgeries begin? You think the general population is going to want to have that procedure in a place with a low or high COVID population? In my opinion, the hospitals do a great job of isolation so it wouldn't matter - but to those health illiterate - it will matter to them.

vCash
    What about the ongoing pissing match between Tate and the speaker, Gunn, and delbert about whether the gov or the legislature should have the say so where the 1.25 billion in federal funds is allocated (if that is discussable)? Thoughts?
    It's just like disaster money that comes to the state from the federal goverment. I believe the Governor controls it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    As others have said, hospitals aren't admitting patients unless there is a need. If anything, they're pushing patients home to self-monitor and quarantine. Regardless of reimbursement level, it wouldn't be covering the cost of providing care.

Add to that if you live in an area where you have more than one hospital, do you think administrators want to be known in the community as having a high inpatient COVID population? How would that work when restrictions ease and elective surgeries begin? You think the general population is going to want to have that procedure in a place with a low or high COVID population? In my opinion, the hospitals do a great job of isolation so it wouldn't matter - but to those health illiterate - it will matter to them.
    Is NY going to get hammered? All those Seniors dying in Nursing homes with all those hospital beds empty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    It's just like disaster money that comes to the state from the federal goverment. I believe the Governor controls it.
    I tend to agree. As does the law. That is why the legislature convened today, after sitting on their collective asses for 7 weeks as non-essential workers, to try and change a decades old law that gives the gov the power in these situations. I'm no Tate fan, but what the legislature tried to do today after cowering in the corner like puss**s for the last 7 weeks is sickening.
    Last edited by confucius say; 05-01-2020 at 06:45 PM.

vCash
    I tend to agree. As does the law. That is why the legislature convened today, after sitting on their collective asses for 7 weeks as non-essential workers, to try and change a decades old law that gives the gov the power in these situations. I'm no Tate fan, but what the legislature tried to do today after cowering in the corner like puss**s for the last 7 weeks is sickening.
    1.8 billion is a lot of money for Mississippi. Tax revenue is going to bed own this year and it is going to put a squeeze on next years budget. I guess they are just looking ahead but I really believe it is and was intended for the virus disaster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Is NY going to get hammered? All those Seniors dying in Nursing homes with all those hospital beds empty.
    I don't know about NY, but if a nursing home resident gets sick enough - they're headed to the hospital. The nursing homes aren't equipped to provide the level of care. As of today, nursing homes in Georgia have reported 3,457 cases of the virus - with 511 deaths.

While this shows a 14.7% death rate for those infected, I don't know how many total are in a nursing home within the state.

https://dch.georgia.gov/announcement...ovid-19-report

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    I don't know about NY, but if a nursing home resident gets sick enough - they're headed to the hospital. The nursing homes aren't equipped to provide the level of care. As of today, nursing homes in Georgia have reported 3,457 cases of the virus - with 511 deaths.

While this shows a 14.7% death rate for those infected, I don't know how many total are in a nursing home within the state.

https://dch.georgia.gov/announcement...ovid-19-report
    I saw a report that 13% of NY death took place in Nursing home.