Page 142 of 274 FirstFirst ... 4292132140141142143144152192242 ... LastLast
Results 2,821 to 2,840 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    When you’re at Costco, you’re not sitting next to somebody for an hour. When you’re at Home Depot, you’re not in close proximity to somebody for 8 to 10 hours. When you’re quarantining, you still have to go get groceries. You still have to go to the doctor. You’re still exposed to your family members who are working. Letting everyone go back to work, especially in big cities, is putting at least a quarter of the population at extreme risk after the virus starts spreading again, and it might just be yourself that’s at more risk than you realize. At some point we’re going to have to stick our necks out and take some more risk because we can’t keep everything shut down forever, but thinking it’s just as simple as the at-risk people staying home is a recipe for disaster.
    Sweden is looking pretty damn good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/3031536001/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    They don't use the same labs. Vets have their own.
    I saw an interview where a families and their dogs are being tested in the same places. So it's not always the case. And it's still a waste of a test.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by fishwater99 View Post
    Sweden is looking pretty damn good.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ty/3031536001/
    Sweden's per capita death rate is way higher than their neighbors. It's even higher than ours.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 04-28-2020 at 05:58 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I saw an interview where a families and their dogs are being tested in the same places. So it's not always the case. And it's still a waste of a test.
    since you can't use a vet test on a human how so?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    You telling me Jesus can't hit a curveball?
    Ahhh, Je'sus. I like heem very much but he no hit curveball. And it is very bad to take Jobu's rum ... VERY BAD.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 04-28-2020 at 06:12 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Geez Jack don't ruin the curve for the rest of us lol!
    He done ruint it.

vCash
    Sweden's per capita death rate is way higher than their neighbors. It's even higher than ours.
    But we and their neighbors shut down. Not really fair to compare them to us right now. Compare the numbers once we open back up a month

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    But we and their neighbors shut down. Not really fair to compare them to us right now. Compare the numbers once we open back up a month
    They are banking on something we have no evidence at all that is even possible....NONE. Also, they have done a lot more than you think. Internal travel is all but banned from Stockholm to the rest of the coiuntry.

vCash
    They are banking on something we have no evidence at all that is even possible....NONE.
    Well if there's no herd immunity we all screwed anyway

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Well if there's no herd immunity we all screwed anyway
    Only if every time we hear corona and we climb in a hole we are..... otherwise, some will die, no doubt, but it's not going to wipe out the country. But maybe you left off the ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    He done ruint it.
    Yeah he did!!! Lol

vCash
    Here's the percentage of population that have NOT died with COVID
    Belgium 99.944%
    Spain: 99.956%
    Italy: 99.957%
    France 99.965%
    UK 99.972%
    NL 99.975%
    Sweden 99.980%

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Schultzy View Post
    Here's the percentage of population that have NOT died with COVID
    Belgium 99.944%
    Spain: 99.956%
    Italy: 99.957%
    France 99.965%
    UK 99.972%
    NL 99.975%
    Sweden 99.980%
    So you're saying there's a chance?!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    But that strategy (testing people to catch positive people before they are symptomatic) would require testing every person who leaves their house every day right? Otherwise, I test negative on Wednesday and go out in the world and become positive Thursday. Even if we had 200 million tests per day to do that, there is no way that many tests could be processed daily by labs unh?
    No.

You have to contact trace.

You see who the positive tests have come in contact with, for more than 5 minutes, and test them too. And so on.

Then you isolate the positive people.

If you were negative, and were not in contact with anyone that had it, you don't need to be tested again.

vCash
    They are banking on something we have no evidence at all that is even possible....NONE. Also, they have done a lot more than you think. Internal travel is all but banned from Stockholm to the rest of the coiuntry.
    To be fair, everyone is banking at least a little on things we don't have evidence for. No one knows what the best plan truly is. I'm extremely interested to see where things stand once a year or two from now because only then will we really know what the best plan was.

vCash
    The three big questions to me, which no one really knows the answer to, are:

1) Are those who get the virus then immune to getting it again, even for a limited period?
    2) Will we reach herd immunity by the time a vaccine is available even with quarantining in place? If so, Sweden's approach seems better. If not, it may not be.
    3) Will the economic struggles that these measures introduce worth the lives lost? The instinct is to say that it isn't worth it at all, but you have to remember that economic struggles lead to deaths as well.

There is no clear strategy. I'm glad someone is doing something different simply so we can see what has worked better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The three big questions to me, which no one really knows the answer to, are:

1) Are those who get the virus then immune to getting it again, even for a limited period?
    2) Will we reach herd immunity by the time a vaccine is available even with quarantining in place? If so, Sweden's approach seems better. If not, it may not be.
    3) Will the economic struggles that these measures introduce worth the lives lost? The instinct is to say that it isn't worth it at all, but you have to remember that economic struggles lead to deaths as well.

There is no clear strategy. I'm glad someone is doing something different simply so we can see what has worked better.
    There is no one play book for this. My play book is isolate those who are at risk and open everything up and let it play out. Those who are at risk and still need to work I say let the goverment help them out financially.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    There is no one play book for this. My play book is isolate those who are at risk and open everything up and let it play out. Those who are at risk and still need to work I say let the goverment help them out financially.
    I think isolating those at risk is definitely a smart way to go...but I don't think you can open everything up entirely outside of that. That actually does put those isolating at risk...because they can't isolate entirely. They still have to get food and other things delivered at the very least, which does bring risk.

Also, building up herd immunity only via the healthy doesn't work because once those most at risk begin to come out, they will be completely susceptible.

And lastly, everyone is at risk. Certainly there are groups that are at much greater risk...but this disease is making even young, healthy people very, very sick and killing them in some cases. At the very least, you still end up with the overburdened hospitals in that case with everything fully open.

I think the best options are a full and total shutdown for about a month, or something like Sweden is doing.
    Last edited by smootness; 04-29-2020 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I think isolating those at risk is definitely a smart way to go...but I don't think you can open everything up entirely outside of that. That actually does put those isolating at risk...because they can't isolate entirely. They still have to get food and other things delivered at the very least, which does bring risk.

Also, building up herd immunity only via the healthy doesn't work because once those most at risk begin to come out, they will be completely susceptible.

And lastly, everyone is at risk. Certainly there are groups that are at much greater risk...but this disease is making even young, healthy people very, very sick and killing them in some cases. At the very least, you still end up with the overburdened hospitals in that case with everything fully open.

I think the best options are a full and total shutdown for about a month, or something like Sweden is doing.
    Just my opinion now but I think there is still a lot not known and I think the goverment is assuming the worse case scenario and acting based on that. I think it is really contagious but I don't believe it is as deadly as they are making it out to be. I think it has been in the United State a lot longer than we know and it is more widespread than we know. We can thank the W.H.O and China for that. If we knew all that really went on in China we would probably be way more ahead than we are now. But personally I don't think it is as deadly that they are assuming. I just think isolate and go back to work. I am not piss at the goverment they are acting on info they were giving but i think in hindsight in a few years we will look back and say the complete shut down was a mistake.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    No.

You have to contact trace.

You see who the positive tests have come in contact with, for more than 5 minutes, and test them too. And so on.

Then you isolate the positive people.

If you were negative, and were not in contact with anyone that had it, you don't need to be tested again.
    Contact tracing only works when there area very limited amount of cases. That ship has already sailed. It will come back into port when the case number is reduced by a LOT. It's hard to do with a highly contagious airborne virus.