Page 14 of 274 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    What are you talking about? The Media isn't one singular thing. The media isn't lying to you. SOME media may be lying to you, but that is your fault if you listen to them. It is on you to research your own sources. If you are getting your news from unreliable sources that is on YOU. You cant blame this on the media We saw this coming.

I am sorry but your post screams of paranoia and bad choices in news. The media hasn't been lying to me over and over again. I know how to research and fact check. I know how to figure out what is reliable and what isn't.

I am sorry if you have spent the last few years getting your news from liars. Maybe look at where you are getting your news, but dont blame this on anyone else. We make our own choices on where to get info.

To blame this on the media is lazy and flat out wrong

ETA I scanned the article you linked. I didn't see any lies in it. I am confused. Did you post that to show me an example of a news source that has correct info? The article doesn't help your argument. Not at all. What was incorrect?
    The tweet dumbass.

And my point is not that there is not a single reporter out there that plays it straight. I'm sure there is. But it would be helpful if we had institutions you can trust. It would be really nice if there was an institution with the reach of the New York Times or Washington Post or CNN or Fox or broadcast stations that was protective of its credibility so that when they ran with something, people could know it was reasonably trustworthy without having to track down sources.

It's all fine and well to say people should track down sources themselves. In reality, besides the fact that most people don't really have the time nor inclination to do that, a significant portion of our population also lacks the ability. If we had credible institutions, they could say things like "take this seriously but don't be a dumbass and run out to buy toilet paper and guns" and people would listen. Not everybody, but enough to help.

vCash
    No. There was more than enough warning from enough sources on this. You did not need to track anything down. If you blamed this on the media or if you thought EVERYONE IN EUROPE AND CHINIA was making this up......well then you didn't want to hear the truth. Blaming this on the media is lazy and just an excuse to cover up your lack of awareness of you blatant disregard of the facts. The warnings were literally everywhere on this.

If you believed this was an media generated overreaction 4 or 5 days ago that means you choose to believe that. Europe was screaming at us to wake up. Own up to your choices. Dont blame this on the media.

Oh and regarding that tweet...she didn't lie. She took a line out of the story that would get the most views.....which is standard.....but the tweet didn't lie. It didn't even mislead. And the article looks fine. There are no lies. I dont want to get political. Everyone structures headlines/tweets to put the most juicy line first.

If you think that is an example that helps your case, I am sorry honey but you are the dumbass

But regardless, there was a ton of warning. Dont try to spin this. You are the one playing politics now
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-16-2020 at 06:24 PM.

vCash
    Trump himself literally said earlier today, "the media is being very fair"

If that's not a sign for you media-blaming people, you ain't gonna get it until you see it

vCash

vCash
    [

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hopefully we can do the smart thing and stay home on our own so we don't have to go to quite the same extreme measures china did

From that article. "This is a huge contrast to February. Just a month ago, much of China was essentially locked down. Many residents weren't allowed to leave their apartment complexes, let alone the city. Some stayed indoors for weeks on end.

Even within cities, public transport was restricted; in Wuhan and other locked-down cities, subway trains were halted and most taxis suspended, with only a small number of government-issued shuttles and cars operating."

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie_Style View Post
    Your on!
    Looks like I misspoke. It's not even slowly spreading. We've gotten 1k new cases today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Looks like I misspoke. It's not even slowly spreading. We've gotten 1k new cases today.
    We will be well over 10k by the end of the week as testing centers open and more tests become available.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I'm hoping that's a sign of a trend that we can expect to see here. Or better given that we have the advantage of seeing what works from other countries. Hopefully other countries will soon show a similar trend as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    America is repatriating all the Citizen travelers, these guys are turning O'Hare, LAX, DFW, and IAH into hotzones. You infect a TSA official, now you have an infected person that is making contact with 1,000's of people. Plus, you have people in close quarter planes and close quarter lines for security. Lots of talking, yawning, and touching of flat screens.

My company had a young female Ivy leaguer that bragged that she "beat" the China quarantine by rearranging her flight from China through Singapore and then through Australia before returning to America. She was sitting next to two old guys...

I sent the two old guys an email that a 22-year-old would not show symptoms necessarily but she can spread it.

I was in Miami recently, the place is full of tourists. Maybe some have been in the USA for a while, Miami alone is going to send the virus to Saudi Arabia and Russia very aggressively via the Borat guys trying to find Pamela Anderson on South Beach.

vCash
    How has the media "over reacted" to this? I am legit curious as to what you have seen from "the media" that has been an overreaction. Do you have actual examples?

The "media" hasn't been crying wolf. You might not know where to go to get legit news, but that isn't really anyone else's fault. Legit news sources are readily available. Free. And everywhere. The Media is just an excuse. And the vast majority of the people blaming the media, get their news for crappy sources that are telling people the other media is bad. Its a self fullfiling prophecy. People go to crappy news sites that push conspiracy theories and then tell you not to "trust the media" The media is what YOU make out of it.

This is NOT the media's fault. Not in the least. Not the panic buying. Not the school closing... This is on us.
    So, I agree with you and you continue to argue? Ok.... do you work in the media and did you just get offended?

Nowhere in there did I say this was their fault. I simply said that when they lie they lose their credibility so I understand people dismissing them. I'm also saying that telling people to have toilet paper blew up and I haven't seen them back track on that and tell people to stop hoarding. All they do is report on the empty shelves which makes the whole situation worse.

No it's not the media's fault that people on both sides of that spectrum are idiots.

Also, I'll add that I'm not sure why you keep acting high and mighty on where you get your news. I'm simply stating that I believe the people hoarding are getting their news from the wrong people or taking the news they are getting out of context. Same could be said for the people that seem numb to what's going on.

I think in a way we both agree but you're driving this in another direction it wasn't intended to go.
    Last edited by Maverick; 03-16-2020 at 09:57 PM.

vCash

vCash
    Some Coronavirus Numbers

In a big Nation like the USA with 400M (by the way 12K died of Flu in 2019 and 32K died of Flu in 2018)

If the USA can only do as well as Hubei Province (Wuhan City).....you have 3.1M infected and 146K dead

If the USA can do as well as All of China (including Wuhan)....you have 25K infected and 1K dead

If the USA can do as well as South Korea...you have 64K infected and 586 dead

If the USA can do as well as the UK (similar individual freedom).... you have 9K infected and 350 dead

China and South Korea are considered post peak. Wuhan was considered safe enough to visit by Chinese Leaders, the temporary hospital is now closed.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 03-16-2020 at 10:07 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by The Federalist Engineer View Post
    Some Coronavirus Numbers

In a big Nation like the USA with 400M (by the way 12K died of Flu in 2019 and 32K died of Flu in 2018)

If the USA can only do as well as Hubei Province (Wuhan City).....you have 3.1M infected and 146K dead

If the USA can do as well as the rest of China (including Wuhan)....you have 25K infected and 1K dead

If the USA can do as well as South Korea...you have 64K infected and 586 dead

If the USA can do as well as the UK (similar individual freedom).... you have 9K infected and 350 dead
    There are a lot of reputable estimates saying at least 300K could die here. Hopefully our mitigation efforts will prevent those kind of numbers, but we got a late start.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    So, I agree with you and you continue to argue? Ok.... do you work in the media and did you just get offended?

Nowhere in there did I say this was their fault. I simply said that when they lie they lose their credibility so I understand people dismissing them. I'm also saying that telling people to have toilet paper blew up and I haven't seen them back track on that and tell people to stop hoarding. All they do is report on the empty shelves which makes the whole situation worse.

No it's not the media's fault that people on both sides of that spectrum are idiots.

Also, I'll add that I'm not sure why you keep acting high and mighty on where you get your news. I'm simply stating that I believe the people hoarding are getting their news from the wrong people or taking the news they are getting out of context. Same could be said for the people that seem numb to what's going on.

I think in a way we both agree but you're driving this in another direction it wasn't intended to go.
    I apologize. The majority of the people taking about overreacting are not only talking about hoarding... Most I'm seeing on social media are also talking about the people saying this could kill thousands here. Hundreds of thousands.

It seems like if a person talks about the virus like that...thar it could kill hundreds of thousands... That we need to close down businesses and stores..... Now. .....it seems to me most of that is being met with "overeation" responses. That I do take issue with.

I do apologize though. If you just meant the shopping, then I was wrong to assume.

The shopping part of this will resolve it's self shortly. It's overeation, but pretty minor. The important stuff is the virus and our current lack of urgency

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    My brother in law is leading a team researching a medicine to help those sick with this. International research team and he does not live in the US either. Not much more I can say, but I was in the camp last week that this is political and BS. Talking to him this weekend, I called my parents(in 70's) and went over what I was told and asked them do not even go to their country church in MS on Sunday. A few days ago I was posting on here asking you guys what is fact and not, and then Saturday got information that woke me up on this.
    He asked my in laws on Saturday to not go anywhere unless absolute necessity. No church, nothing. Buy as much time as possible. They are in their 70's also. He is a low key guy and does not get too high or low on things. So coming from him that means something.
    At the very least, if you don't really buy into it, respect all the efforts to make this short and as painless as possible for a few weeks. Those can gloat in 4 weeks if all is well, and I will be glad for them instead of the opposite happening.
    If you talk to your brother in law tell him I said thank you.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    There are a lot of reputable estimates saying at least 300K could die here. Hopefully our mitigation efforts will prevent those kind of numbers, but we got a late start.
    (1) The US scientific community has been a busy little kitchen for months. COVID-19 genome is Mapped. Two companies Sinofi and Moderna already have vaccines in process. It usually takes a year to make that happen.

(2) The ventilator makers are primed to go. My employer supplies them precision motors and different pneumatic devices, they say they don't need anything special to be ready for demand. They say the same as the toilet paper makers, they are ready for orders.

(3) US factories are not closing. People will wear PPE, but they will continue to operate and deliver on promises as needed. We have 1,000s and 1,000s of PPE items in plane hangars ready to go.

(4) The National Association of Manufacturers (NAM) community has been managing COVID-19 for Months (China is big piece of the supply chain of all global companies) and Talking with the President and Secretary of Commerce. We have more people in China than the US State Department OR any news service. If we want to know about China, we call our own people, not CNN or BBC.

(5) Even in Chendu, our plants are already back in business. Some Chinese workers have chosen to stay home. But business only stopped for the extended Chinese new year. We are just one US Corporation, but the competition says the same thing. We have Cargo jets ready to move product as we need it, but the jets have not been needed.

The biggest thing to worry about is that America has a huge global footprint of travelers, vacationers, and business people. They will need to be reigned-in and quarantined properly.

Also, America has a huge immigrant community. As the virus spreads to Africa and India. The government will need to roll the travel bans to new nations and people will go crazy about missing an Indian wedding or a Filipino Christmas. You might have people travel to a cleared country like Australia, then sneak away to Manila and then fly back through Japan. People can do this with Multiple passports. Only use the US passport for safe travel.
    Last edited by The Federalist Engineer; 03-16-2020 at 11:44 PM.

vCash
    I don't think you can compare our containment effort to China or South Korea.

China has much better surveillance ability and experience. They built a hospital in 7 days. They have apps that alert local authorities if someone's GPS data says they've been close to someone who tested positive.

South Korea tested a shitload of people very quickly and were able to slow it down, but they're not out of the woods yet.

As a whole, the populace of both countries recognized the risk and pulled together to try to stop it.

We're barely testing anyone and we've still got idiots going out to bars and thinking it's a media hoax.

P.S. I say "idiots" with love, because I didn't think this was a big deal either until a couple weeks ago.
    Last edited by hacker; 03-17-2020 at 07:17 AM.

vCash
    No. There was more than enough warning from enough sources on this. You did not need to track anything down.
    Nobody is saying there wasn't good information out there. The point is that there is not an institution that has earned any credibility. That hurts when you're trying to manage a crisis.

If you blamed this on the media or if you thought EVERYONE IN EUROPE AND CHINIA was making this up......well then you didn't want to hear the truth. Blaming this on the media is lazy and just an excuse to cover up your lack of awareness of you blatant disregard of the facts. The warnings were literally everywhere on this.

If you believed this was an media generated overreaction 4 or 5 days ago that means you choose to believe that. Europe was screaming at us to wake up. Own up to your choices. Dont blame this on the media.
    You are a flamethrower in a field of strawmen. The point is not that the media caused this. The point is that it is worse than it could be because we don't have trustworthy and credible media. A trustworthy and credible institution could have convinced a lot of people to take this seriously while also not panic buying 17ing toilet paper.

Oh and regarding that tweet...she didn't lie. She took a line out of the story that would get the most views.....which is standard.....but the tweet didn't lie. It didn't even mislead. And the article looks fine. There are no lies. I dont want to get political. Everyone structures headlines/tweets to put the most juicy line first.

If you think that is an example that helps your case, I am sorry honey but you are the dumbass

But regardless, there was a ton of warning. Dont try to spin this. You are the one playing politics now
    So you're saying she intentionally misled with her tweet and media constantly does the same, and you wonder why people don't trust them? And she was far from the worst. Her's was just misleading while others actually lied and claimed the President said governors were on their own. https://twitter.com/MaraGay/status/1239603785275670529

And look, I try not to call names (although I certainly give in to the temptation at times), but you don't understand the lesson of the Boy Who Cried Wolf, and you are calling other people dumbasses. First graders intuitively get the lesson of that story and you are sitting there going, "But the boy didn't lie the last time, why are those dumbass villagers ignoring good information?" Maybe you shouldn't be opining on other people's intelligence. It's one thing to go around being a dick when you are really smart. You should try not to do it before you can grasp things we teach to elementary students.

Again, having credible institutions matters in a crisis. We would be in better shape if we had a credible media institution with widespread reach. Some people will have the time and inclination and ability to sift through the noise and get good information. Some people are honestly too stupid to help regardless (maybe those that don't understand children's lessons?). But a lot of people fall in between and would follow recommendations from a trusted source. They are probably following recommendations from sources they trust now, it's just probably somebody they know rather than a media source, and who knows whether that trust is wellplaced. I have seen people that are generally intelligent act in ways that I think are overreacting and underreacting, although I don't know anybody hoarding toiletpaper or that have gone into a full bunker mentality in places where there aren't confirmed cases. But having a trusted institution to give information to those people would be very helpful in a time like this. It could limit panic buying. It could limit the number of people making last hurrahs at bars. Wouldn't eliminate it, but especially on the panic side, a small number of people not buying into the panic could eliminate it as the idiots bought all the TP they could afford and people realized shelves were still stocked.

vCash
    China:

[tweet2]1239455780996173828[/tweet2]

America:

[tweet2]1239240620700549122[/tweet2]

vCash
    The "medical screenings" Trump mentions were just asking passengers a few questions. No temp check, no test, nothing else.

Keep in mind, you can be contagious and not have any symptoms for up to a week. These people were arriving from Europe.