Page 13 of 274 FirstFirst ... 311121314152363113 ... LastLast

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    7 where are you getting the latest and greatest map update of the US. The NY times one doesn't update near enough. I see that we're at almost 4k now confirmed but certain states are definitely inaccurate.
    I have no idea where to get that info updated in real time (or close). I've been looking at

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

I like dawgology's site above better though

vCash
    Trump is now saying we should avoid groups larger than 10 people and avoid social functions, and home school for the next 14 days.

Who could have seen this coming. What a surprise

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I have no idea where to get that info updated in real time (or close). I've been looking at

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashb...23467b48e9ecf6

I like dawgology's site above better though
    https://infection2020.com/

This ones pretty good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post

This ones pretty good.
    Nice

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    Trump is now saying we should avoid groups larger than 10 people and avoid social functions, and home school for the next 14 days.

So if he had said nothing he would have been criticize. You know as well as I do that you have to continue to say things because not everyone is listening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    People are not scared of the media, they just rightly don't trust it. Our media is garbage. Even if they weren't hardcore partisans willing to spread misinformation if it helps "their side", they are mostly stupid and even the ones that aren't stupid aren't smart enough to understand what they don't understand.

Even if we had some non-garbage media options, another problem is that we are a big country and different areas of the country need to take different precautions. Hell, different parts of different states need to take different precautions. People in New Orleans should probably be engaged in strict social distancing. People in Shreveport may be ok with more moderate social distancing. We just don't have good local media and health authorities that can credibly spread that messaging right now.
    Agreed, it's not being scared of the media but rather an effect of "crying wolf" which makes people numb to what they are saying. You either have people freaking out or people that ignore it. There doesn't seem to be much in between....

vCash
    This thread does discuss politics. Good read so far:

https://www.sippolitics.com/forumdis...6-The-Crucible

vCash

Martial law next week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Agreed, it's not being scared of the media but rather an effect of "crying wolf" which makes people numb to what they are saying. You either have people freaking out or people that ignore it. There doesn't seem to be much in between....
    Just curious what is freaking out to you? Buying toliet paper is freaking out.....but people have been saying for several days this isn't the flu. To stay at home......and those people were told they were "freaking out"

The biggest problem with this, was all the people....a bunch on this board..... calling smart sound steps "overreacting"

The problem isn't so much that there wasn't any in between....the problem was people were (and still are) calling things overeacions that are not

The ONLY over reacting is the panic buying. The warning of the seriousness of this isnt. And it wasn't when we started it

When our hospitals go nuts this week and next.....a big portion of the blame goes to the people dismissing this. We had clear warning. All you had to do was be aware
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-16-2020 at 03:39 PM.

vCash
    When our hospitals go nuts this week and next.....a big portion of the blame goes to the people dismissing this. We had clear warning. All you had to do was be aware[/QUOTE]

This is what bothers me...people need to realize if you're healthy that's great! The social distancing and being prepared ISNT ABOUT YOU if you're healthy, it's about the little old lady/man down the street or the guy with diabetes/heart disease that lives next door...we've got to do what we can to stop the spreading of this shit, not for the healthy population but for those who are more susceptible than ourselves. Hell, there is a local doctor who posted on FB "meh, this is just a cold."

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post

This ones pretty good.
    Thanks to all 3 of you.

vCash
    Yep. I admit I've been a bit angry and a bit of a jerk to all the people that have been....and still are..... dismissing the seriousness of this.

But honestly I don't really care. This is actually serious. This isn't the time to play politics and "your news source sucks"

They are selfish and frankly dangerous.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chainedup_Dawg View Post
    When our hospitals go nuts this week and next.....a big portion of the blame goes to the people dismissing this. We had clear warning. All you had to do was be aware

This is what bothers me...people need to realize if you're healthy that's great! The social distancing and being prepared ISNT ABOUT YOU if you're healthy, it's about the little old lady/man down the street or the guy with diabetes/heart disease that lives next door...we've got to do what we can to stop the spreading of this shit, not for the healthy population but for those who are more susceptible than ourselves. Hell, there is a local doctor who posted on FB "meh, this is just a cold."[/QUOTE]

You know scaring everyone about this will help magnify the hospital issue. Now that we've been told how much worse this is than the flu and you'll die, people will panic and run to get health care when they may not even have coronavirus or have coronavirus but not be in need of medical help

vCash
    It's a scary thought that people believe being open and clear...telling the truth....is scaring people.

Wow.

Just wow.

vCash
    Just curious what is freaking out to you? Buying toliet paper is freaking out.....but people have been saying for several days this isn't the flu. To stay at home......and those people were told they were "freaking out"

The biggest problem with this, was all the people....a bunch on this board..... calling smart sound steps "overreacting"

The problem isn't so much that there wasn't any in between....the problem was people were (and still are) calling things overeacions that are not

The ONLY over reacting is the panic buying. The warning of the seriousness of this isnt. And it wasn't when we started it

Exactly what you just said. Panic buying is freaking out and going to the bar in Nashville this weekend is a blatant disregard to what is going on. I have no problem with minimizing crowds and practicing good hygiene habits.

That's why I said I felt like there wasn't much in between where people are being rational about the situation. The media is either driving them to mass hysteria to the point you are seeing fights in stores or people are numb to them and are just going to do whatever they want regardless. I still see people walking around coughing and not covering up and some of these people are the hoarders I'm sure as well as the people that just don't care. I'll add to that the ones that cough in their hands and then grab a door handle. I mean come on man haha.... Common sense....

I won't blame either side more than the other but the bulk buying did nothing but crowd gathering which was exactly what did not need to happen. The media has overreacted so much about stuff or been just flat out wrong that it's like they've cried wolf one too many times.

As Johnson85 said earlier is this thread.... the media intentionally misleads on a regular basis, so people can't take their reports at face value. They either purposefully provide misleading "context" or just omit facts and context that are relevant b/c it doesn't support their "side".

Again, there is a difference in being aware of the situation and being irrational. I guess you can throw ignoring the situation in that too.
    Last edited by Maverick; 03-16-2020 at 04:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverick View Post
    Exactly what you just said. Panic buying is freaking out and going to the bar in Nashville this weekend is a blatant disregard to what is going on. I have no problem with minimizing crowds and practicing good hygiene habits.

That's why I said I felt like there wasn't much in between where people are being rational about the situation. The media is either driving them to mass hysteria to the point you are seeing fights in stores or people are numb to them as I said and are just going to do whatever they want regardless. I still see people walking around coughing and not covering up and some of these people are the hoarders I'm sure as well as the people that just don't care.

I won't blame either side but the bulk buying did nothing but crowd gathering which was exactly what did not need to happen. The media has overreacted so much about stuff or been just flat out wrong that it's like they've cried wolf one too many times.

As Johnson85 said earlier is this thread.... the media intentionally misleads on a regular basis, so people can't take their reports at face value. They either purposefully provide misleading "context" or just omit facts and context that are relevant b/c it doesn't support their "side".

As I have said before, there is a difference in being aware of the situation and being irrational. I guess you can throw ignoring the situation in that too.
    How has the media "over reacted" to this? I am legit curious as to what you have seen from "the media" that has been an overreaction. Do you have actual examples?

The "media" hasn't been crying wolf. You might not know where to go to get legit news, but that isn't really anyone else's fault. Legit news sources are readily available. Free. And everywhere. The Media is just an excuse. And the vast majority of the people blaming the media, get their news for crappy sources that are telling people the other media is bad. Its a self fullfiling prophecy. People go to crappy news sites that push conspiracy theories and then tell you not to "trust the media" The media is what YOU make out of it.

This is NOT the media's fault. Not in the least. Not the panic buying. Not the school closing... This is on us.
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-16-2020 at 04:20 PM.

vCash
    Yep. I admit I've been a bit angry and a bit of a jerk to all the people that have been....and still are..... dismissing the seriousness of this.

But honestly I don't really care. This is actually serious. This isn't the time to play politics and "your news source sucks"

They are selfish and frankly dangerous.
    I think this is what bothers me the most. Several of my staff members weren't taking the policy I enacted today seriously (these two happen to be younger) so we had a meeting this afternoon and went over stats. It was a sobering meeting and I feel that things got real for them when I started going over hospitalized 20'somethings in Italy and our current positive tests Suddenly, everyone if sanitizing their hands.

vCash
    How has the media "over reacted" to this? I am legit curious as to what you have seen from "the media" that has been an overreaction. Do you have actual examples?

The "media" hasn't been crying wolf. You might not know where to go to get legit news, but that isn't really anyone else's fault. Legit news sources are readily available. Free. And everywhere. The Media is just an excuse. And the vast majority of the people blaming the media, get their news for crappy sources that are telling people the other media is bad. Its a self fullfiling prophecy. People go to crappy news sites that push conspiracy theories and then tell you not to "trust the media" The media is what YOU make out of it.

This is NOT the media's fault. Not in the least. Not the panic buying. Not the school closing... This is on us.
    You want people to just trust the media that has been lying to them over and over? To just assume that now that things are serious, the media is going to start being serious and stop being partisan hacks?

That's obviously not happening.

https://twitter.com/juliebosman/stat...98527803768833

You can't tell people, yea, we lie and mislead all the time, but we're playing it straight this time. Even if you didn't have people that are ostensibly not on the opinion page trying to mislead people about corona virus related issues, that's not how credibility works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I think this is what bothers me the most. Several of my staff members weren't taking the policy I enacted today seriously (these two happen to be younger) so we had a meeting this afternoon and went over stats. It was a sobering meeting and I feel that things got real for them when I started going over hospitalized 20'somethings in Italy and our current positive tests Suddenly, everyone if sanitizing their hands.
    My brother in law is leading a team researching a medicine to help those sick with this. International research team and he does not live in the US either. Not much more I can say, but I was in the camp last week that this is political and BS. Talking to him this weekend, I called my parents(in 70's) and went over what I was told and asked them do not even go to their country church in MS on Sunday. A few days ago I was posting on here asking you guys what is fact and not, and then Saturday got information that woke me up on this.
    He asked my in laws on Saturday to not go anywhere unless absolute necessity. No church, nothing. Buy as much time as possible. They are in their 70's also. He is a low key guy and does not get too high or low on things. So coming from him that means something.
    At the very least, if you don't really buy into it, respect all the efforts to make this short and as painless as possible for a few weeks. Those can gloat in 4 weeks if all is well, and I will be glad for them instead of the opposite happening.
    Last edited by Santiago; 03-16-2020 at 05:28 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    You want people to just trust the media that has been lying to them over and over? To just assume that now that things are serious, the media is going to start being serious and stop being partisan hacks?

That's obviously not happening.

https://twitter.com/juliebosman/stat...98527803768833

You can't tell people, yea, we lie and mislead all the time, but we're playing it straight this time. Even if you didn't have people that are ostensibly not on the opinion page trying to mislead people about corona virus related issues, that's not how credibility works.
    What are you talking about? The Media isn't one singular thing. The media isn't lying to you. SOME media may be lying to you, but that is your fault if you listen to them. It is on you to research your own sources. If you are getting your news from unreliable sources that is on YOU. You cant blame this on the media We saw this coming.

I am sorry but your post screams of paranoia and bad choices in news. The media hasn't been lying to me over and over again. I know how to research and fact check. I know how to figure out what is reliable and what isn't.

I am sorry if you have spent the last few years getting your news from liars. Maybe look at where you are getting your news, but dont blame this on anyone else. We make our own choices on where to get info.

To blame this on the media is lazy and flat out wrong

ETA I scanned the article you linked. I didn't see any lies in it. I am confused. Did you post that to show me an example of a news source that has correct info? The article doesn't help your argument. Not at all. What was incorrect?
    Last edited by deadheaddawg; 03-16-2020 at 05:51 PM.