Page 125 of 274 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175225 ... LastLast
Results 2,481 to 2,500 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    What has he produced with the DPA?

Why are govenors having to get their own supplies.

We still cannot do more than 150,000 tests in a day.
    To reopen, per the white house, we have to do 10x that.

We have vents due to social distancing..

Trump has done nothing .

No coordination.

Everyone is left to figure it out on their own.

That's on trump
    It is pretty crazy that Trump just puts out a bunch of information with no orders. He acts like the federal government doesn't have general police authority and that the states are primarily in charge of situations like this. That orange 17er is just sitting there letting the federal government put out information and provide support when clearly what we need is a nationwide, one size fits all approach to make sure NYC and Moscow, Idaho have the same approach.

ETA: Not that Trump has done anything particularly well I don't think. I think most presidents would have more or less listened to subject matter experts. I don't think the inadequacies at the CDC have to do with Trump's appointment. I think they've had mission creep for a long time and focused on things other than infectious diseases, and they 17ed up. I don't think any president would have come in there and managed to reform CDC. The federal leviathon is just too big to manage in that way and it's highly unlikely that we would have had a president elected that was focused on the CDC. THis is just another thing where we are overly reliant on the permanent bureaucracy.
    Last edited by Johnson85; 04-21-2020 at 11:04 AM.

vCash

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    That sucks. Do we know if they administered the drug randomly? Or were people more likely to get it if they were already having severe symptoms?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    This study was published on redstate.com only FWIW

It also can't tell the difference in antibodies between SARS-CoV-2 and coronaviruses that cause the cold.
    I read the summary on http://publichealth.lacounty.gov/phc....cfm?prid=2328

vCash
    Yeah. They did a press release before publishing the paper. And the paper was only published on redstate. Weird.

Researchers baffled as well:

[tweet2]1252557173965688837[/tweet2]
    Last edited by hacker; 04-21-2020 at 12:59 PM.

vCash
    Yeah. They did a press release before publishing the paper. And the paper was only published on redstate. Weird.

Researchers baffled as well:

[tweet2]1252557173965688837[/tweet2]
    That's kinda crazy...

The LA times, WAPO, and CNBC picked it up too.

But yeah the Q&A says it cannot distinguish between other Coronavius strains

vCash
    I wouldn't hold my breath on any treatment working on COVID-19. We don't have solid treatments for any viral respiratory illnesses. It's not going to suddenly change with a new strain of an already known class of viruses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I wouldn't hold my breath on any treatment working on COVID-19. We don't have solid treatments for any viral respiratory illnesses. It's not going to suddenly change with a new strain of an already known class of viruses.
    You could just say viral illness. TamiFlu even makes the flu worse in some cases.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    If you are comparing the government type of China with the US, you are way off base! That statement in the WHO report is the exact reason of corruption charges being levied at the WHO (and in particular Tedros Adhanom, Director of WHO) today, their blatant regurgitating the mandates of the Chinese leadership. If you think the Chinese people are any more committed to ending COVID-19 than the American people or any other people for that matter, you are severely misguided! The statement in the WHO report is pure propaganda since the people of China do not have the freedoms we have in America and therefore do not get to choose if they move around or stay at home. The choice is already made for them by their communistic government leaders.

In America we protest at the drop of a hat, in China if they protest, they are putting their lives in grave danger.

Have you actually been to China, as a businessman when you arrive, after getting the required visa, you are assigned a Chinese handler, with you every step of the way, that tracks your every move. You do not move anywhere without your handler.
    I'm comparing a population that has seen similar viral outbreaks in the past 20 years and is more conditioned to being told what to do by the government, and then doing that.

The Chinese people, as a whole are much more likely to stay completely inside during a government lockdown. VS what you see in th USA...

It's not "Commitment to fighting COVID" it's doing what you are told. We suck at that (American individualism), and I'm ok with that. But it makes their social distancing more effective.

Nobody thought the US would be able to effectively social distance long.

And we are not....

vCash
    I'm comparing a population that has seen similar viral outbreaks in the past 20 years and is more conditioned to being told what to do by the government, and then doing that.

The Chinese people, as a whole are much more likely to stay completely inside during a government lockdown. VS what you see in th USA...

It's not "Commitment to fighting COVID" it's doing what you are told. We suck at that (American individualism), and I'm ok with that. But it makes their social distancing more effective.

Nobody thought the US would be able to effectively social distance long.

And we are not....
    My point is that you can not judge the intent or commitment of a people that are under communist rule, being forced to stay in place or else be killed by the government guard dogs, to the people of a free country. It is not a fair comparison. If the US was all of a sudden under marshal law or military restrictions to the point of death if you disobey, then our "commitment" would be the same.

Commitment of the government is not the same as commitment of the people.

That is my point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    You could just say viral illness. TamiFlu even makes the flu worse in some cases.
    Well just being technical HIV, hepatitis, herpes etc all have solid treatments. The ones that cause cold like symptoms we just don't, and it's not for lack of trying given how common they are.

vCash
    "Every man dies but not every man lives"

"I'd rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

vCash
    2800 deaths in the US in 24 hours. The most so far.

700 more than IHME projection. It also projected our peak about a week ago.

vCash
    Personally I think trump would prefer national edicts but I think he knew a ton of governors would push back on anything he did so he put it on them to handle as they saw fit.

I don’t agree with it but they are at least now going to have to stand behind their words for better or worse. Going to be really interesting to see how it plays out from state to state

vCash
    2800 deaths in the US in 24 hours. The most so far.

700 more than IHME projection. It also projected our peak about a week ago.
    April 18-21 projected deaths using the model: 8094
    April 18-21 actual deaths: 8169

That's pretty accurate, no?

Why didn't you mention the iHME projection predicting ~ 700 too many deaths on the 19th?

vCash
    This is from my friend that's head of oncology at UPMC in Pittsburgh:

https://www.wpxi.com/news/local/alle...PBQOLBAQWV67I/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    April 18-21 projected deaths using the model: 8094
    April 18-21 actual deaths: 8169

That's pretty accurate, no?

Why didn't you mention the iHME projection predicting ~ 700 too many deaths on the 19th?
    You know the weekend numbers don't count.

Let's see how much it's off for the rest of the week. It already has us on the tail of the curve and it's way too steep.

983 deaths predicted on May 1st. We'll still be above 2000.

That's what I've been saying. This projection is wrong on the backend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post

We have failed on testing on a national level. Getting tests should've been a top priority at the beginning and some states are still limited..... including Alabama. Some places may be stating they are doing state wide testing with drive thru testing blah blah blah. But it's a lie..... it's not easy to get a test unless you are admitted to a hospital or you for they're criteria. We have failed to isolate the virus. But it looks like the government has decided attempt at herd immunity. I don't know about that. Yes, some people are barely having a fever and a cough..... but if this thing gets in your lungs, it doesn't go away for a while. It ****ing sucks.

vCash

Interesting. Thanks.

vCash

Great news.