Page 109 of 274 FirstFirst ... 95999107108109110111119159209 ... LastLast
Results 2,161 to 2,180 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    On education I meant college/university education. As for letting "our worst" fall ... a lot of that is up to them. Grown folks gotta take some responsibility. Now you can make some argument to their environments growing up ... but we do help out a lot of folks with various subsistence programs. But I know quite a few others that take advantage of those just cause they don't wanna work.
    Gotcha. It's not like what is happening with colleges now is that great. Something needs to be shaken up, otherwise the entire middle class will be in college debt just to get a job in 20 years. It's a rapidly growing issue and push is going to meet shove eventually.

As for the laziness of others, that's a fundamental difference of opinion. Believe me, I understand the sentiment. But I also think that we have evolved so much as a society that we should not need people working just for the sake of working. Automation is going to soon make many jobs obsolete and with that many low-income Americans will be out of a job. With an ever increasing population this will hit a point too imo and we as a society need to be prepared for it.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Yes, it smells rotten, but it's likely because somebody is influence peddling and making a cut off masks in the market place, not because Panthera is trying to manufacturer masks (or planning on not deliverying). It's sketchy and normal corruption with federal contracts, likely nothing to do with Trump. It's unfortunately standard operating procedure for a lot of these federal contracts, where who you know and your knowledge in navigating the process is more important than actual subject matter expertise or performance ability. It's the same reason the Obamacare rollout was such a cluster 17. THey had a very complicated project, put themselves behind the eightball by assuming the states were going to do it, and really needed to hire the best contractor available. Of course they didn't do that but instead chose to enrich people that were politically connected. SOP.
    Agreed that it may not be Trump. But someone here is definitely making some money off this move. This is why I called for oversight, ie checks and balances. If this can be gotten away with over $55 mil... it's a scary though to think of something ~ 40,000X that pot having minimal oversight.

Not going to argue with you on how corrupt the Obama admin was. That's obvious to anyone with a brain on either side of the aisle (as it is for the past few regimes since at least JFK.) Trump, in a way, was a beacon of hope that the people can push behind a non-establishment type to not continue that corruption.

vCash
    Here's some interesting reading for y'all: This was sent to my by a friend who's head of Oncology at the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center in Pittsburgh and her statement to me about the report. Also talked to my friend at UAB infectious disease center and he concurred:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1

Her Statement to me:

So... 3% of people in Santa Clara County (CA) have been infected and recovered. Which is 50-plus times the estimate of confirmed active cases. More evidence Covid 19 is far more widespread and thus less dangerous than expected.

This is awesome news.

ETA This type of testing is starting to be done all over the country with similar results. UAB just did theirs and I know Wake Baptist just did one and will be getting results soon.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 04-17-2020 at 06:30 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Here's some interesting reading for y'all: This was sent to my by a friend who's head of Oncology at the UPMC Hillman Cancer Center in Pittsburgh and her statement to me about the report. Also talked to my friend at UAB infectious disease center and he concurred:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1....14.20062463v1

Her Statement to me:

So... 3% of people in Santa Clara County (CA) have been infected and recovered. Which is 50-plus times the estimate of confirmed active cases. More evidence Covid 19 is far more widespread and thus less dangerous than expected.

This is awesome news.

ETA This type of testing is starting to be done all over the country with similar results. UAB just did theirs and I know Wake Baptist just did one and will be getting results soon.
    Getting these antibody tests out widespread for everyone would do wonders for accelerating the reopening of the economy as it allows us to isolate those who do have it and haven't had it yet. I hope that's not too small of a sample size and that it can be extrapolated that greatly. That would be awesome going forward.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    Getting these antibody tests out widespread for everyone would do wonders for accelerating the reopening of the economy as it allows us to isolate those who do have it and haven't had it yet. I hope that's not too small of a sample size and that it can be extrapolated that greatly. That would be awesome going forward.
    I don't agree with everything you say but i definitely agree that this is a huge step to getting things going in the right direction. I'm reaching out to some more folks I know to see what their doing with this and if similar results are being had. It is a reason for hope.
    Last edited by Commercecomet24; 04-17-2020 at 07:23 PM.

vCash
    But you can't isolate everyone who "hasn't had it"... isolate those most vulnerable and in 2 weeks move on. You won't ever know who all had it or didn't. This thing isn't going away. And like the flu, some people just don't get it. With our wo the vaccine. Just like on the Navy ship where only 12.5 % of the people had it. And 60% of those were asymptomatic
    Last edited by Homedawg; 04-17-2020 at 07:13 PM.

vCash
    Why do I keep hearing that the key to reopening the country is widespread testing? Once you show sufficient symptoms to cause you to go get tested, wouldn't you 1) know to self isolate the same way as if you got a positive test result, and 2) have already infected people?

Seems to me the key to reopening would be the antibody test.

vCash
    The key to reopening is to say 17 this BS, require masks and move the 17 on.

vCash
    I don't agree with everything you say but i definitely agree that this is a huge step to getting things going in the right direction. I'm reaching out to some more folks I know to see what their doing with this and if similar results are being had. It is a reason for hope.
    I heard that a lot of businesses across the country had order them. I swear I had it. Seven weeks ago I got sick. I mean it is the worse I have ever felt in my life. My temp got to 103.6 degrees a few times. For about six days it never got below 100 degrees. I have never felt like that before. I went to the doctor and i tested negative for the flu. I had every symptom out there for it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I heard that a lot of businesses across the country had order them. I swear I had it. Seven weeks ago I got sick. I mean it is the worse I have ever felt in my life. My temp got to 103.6 degrees a few times. For about six days it never got below 100 degrees. I have never felt like that before. I went to the doctor and i tested negative for the flu. I had every symptom out there for it.
    How long did it last for you?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Lot of research going into this now and findings will be similar to the Stanford findings, UAB and others that a large amount of people have had it and recovered which will show its much more widespread and much less lethal and severe than what's been thought

vCash
    The antibody tests are very inaccurate. That's the problem right now. China is using them with no regard to their inaccuracies. They're giving a lot of false negatives and positives.

vCash
    Lot of research going into this now and findings will be similar to the Stanford findings, UAB and others that a large amount of people have had it and recovered which will show its much more widespread and much less lethal and severe than what's been thought
    UAB is turning hundreds of people down a week for testing so they don't really know accurate recovery numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    UAB is turning hundreds of people down a week for testing so they don't really know accurate recovery numbers.
    I'm not talking about the hospital itself I'm referring to the study that the infectious disease team is doing similar to the one in the Stanford study. They're working with a small control group right now on this.

vCash
    Let's assume this Santa Clara testing is true and 2.5% - 4% of the population has had the virus. (I'm skeptical, but that's another story.)

We need about 60% of the population infected for herd immunity.

That is a range of 15 - 24 times more cases than we have now to reach herd immunity.

Assuming 2.5% - 4% infected and our current 38000 deaths, if we were to reach 60%, that would be 570,000 - 912,000 deaths.

That's shocking to me. Did I do the math wrong? Someone check it.

I really don't think we should be in a rush to try to obtain herd immunity.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    How long did it last for you?
    I missed 8 days of work. The last two days I had no fever but I was just too tired to go to work. I woke up on a Saturday feeling real bad and it was the Wednesday after the next Wednesday that I went back to work.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 04-17-2020 at 11:53 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Let's assume this Santa Clara testing is true and 2.5% - 4% of the population has had the virus. (I'm skeptical, but that's another story.)

We need about 60% of the population infected for herd immunity.

That is a range of 15 - 24 times more cases than we have now to reach herd immunity.

Assuming 2.5% - 4% infected and our current 38000 deaths, if we were to reach 60%, that would be 570,000 - 912,000 deaths.

That's shocking to me. Did I do the math wrong? Someone check it.

I really don't think we should be in a rush to try to obtain herd immunity.
    The problem with the math is this isn't as lethal as it was once feared to be.

vCash
    Gotcha. It's not like what is happening with colleges now is that great. Something needs to be shaken up, otherwise the entire middle class will be in college debt just to get a job in 20 years. It's a rapidly growing issue and push is going to meet shove eventually.

As for the laziness of others, that's a fundamental difference of opinion. Believe me, I understand the sentiment. But I also think that we have evolved so much as a society that we should not need people working just for the sake of working. Automation is going to soon make many jobs obsolete and with that many low-income Americans will be out of a job. With an ever increasing population this will hit a point too imo and we as a society need to be prepared for it.
    there's a lot of "right" in this post... However, I believe in lieu of supporting those that don't or can't work, we oughta just cull em from the herd....
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    there's a lot of "right" in this post... However, I believe in lieu of supporting those that don't or can't work, we oughta just cull em from the herd....
    Dare I say- process them?**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Dare I say- process them?**
    That was as strong as a garlic milkshake.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Todd4State again.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17