Page 107 of 274 FirstFirst ... 75797105106107108109117157207 ... LastLast
Results 2,121 to 2,140 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    You forgot these ***** haha!

Probably would be a true statement when we ain't getting communism shoved down our throat. We got a lot of issues in this country and there are some big bankers that should be in jail for life because of 2008 but ... we ain't standing in line at grocery stores for the bare meat & potato essentials and our poor folks that aren't homeless actually have almost as high a standard of dwellings in most cases to rival the middle class in England. And they usually have the highest dollar cell phones too.

Don't think any of that is due to UBI either.
    I was trying to lighten the mood a little lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Ok .. my bad. The tangents that have nothing to do with Covid are unreal in this thread.

vCash
    Ok .. my bad. The tangents that have nothing to do with Covid are unreal in this thread.
    Oh it's no prob. We good. But yeah this thread has gotten twilight zone wild at times!

vCash
    And its welcomed, lol.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    And its welcomed, lol.
    Thanks buddy! It's an emotional time full of uncertainty and I'm sure it gets to all of us at times and you can tell emotions get raw on here at times.

vCash
    Thanks buddy! It's an emotional time full of uncertainty and I'm sure it gets to all of us at times and you can tell emotions get raw on here at times.
    I was disappointed no one laughed at my R. Kelly joke***

vCash
    I'm sorry I must've missed it but you know you're the funniest dude on here!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Sanders shifted the debate alright like as follows:

His stance on key issues:

Medicare for All: Government takeover of Healthcare
    Green New Deal: BS carbon tax on Americans
    Reproductive health care: Murder the unborn
    Taxes: Will raise taxes to the point nobody will strive to be the best that can be and earn the most they can - why strive to earn more than $1M or whatever the cap is, the government will take the majority of your income. Taxes will drive behavior to be mediocre at best.
    Voting rights: Felons and illegal aliens able to vote
    College tuition: Another freebie that someone has to pay for - the middle class
    Marijuana: Oh yeah, lets 17up every ones mind so they do not know whet the government is doing - who cares?
    Education: Create class division - we all attend the same schools, the parents need to get involved to make an impact
    Labor: Wants to overhaul labor laws and increase union membership and rights. All workers, union or not will have to pay union dues.

Yeah, I guess that is shifting the narrative - far to the LEFT away from individual rights and responsibilities to the Nanny state - the Big Ole Government will take care of us all to lazy to work. No incentive to work as you will be taxed into oblivion.

You really need to move to a non-democratic/replublic country. You will be a lot happier and so will we!
    MFA - we clearly fundamentally disagree that healthcare should be a basic human right. I can't sway you. As I've told you before reread the 10 commandments and tell me where you feel like you should fall on that issue. You have your religious interpretation, I have mine.

Green New Deal - If you're a "global warming isn't real" type... man. Idk.

Reproductive healthcare - Why didn't pregnant women get an extra $500 if unborns count as babies?
    (Sidenote: abortion is one issue I do not like to touch. It's scary to craft an opinion on because when we ultimately decide, we have to decide what is a human and what is not. Once we do that, we could grow humans in a lab by that definition. That feels morally weird and wrong. So I generally abstain from that debate. Only ask for consistency across all policies if someone is going to have a strong opinion on it because I don't think anyone actually should.)

Taxes- ... do you think he's taxing 90% or something? I'm genuinely curious if you understand how tax brackets work. I have a feeling you're misinformed on that basic principle (like way too many Americans are).

Voting rights- I don't believe those move the needle near as much as what the Russians did to us last cycle. I'm of the opinion to leave this up to the States. I don't have to see eye-to-eye on everything.

College Tuition- If you think it's the middle class that would foot this bill then you really don't understand how uneven the wealth gap is. (If you made $1000/hr for every hr since the beginning of 1 AD.... you aren't 1/5 as rich as Jeff Bezos. You aren't in the top 20 of rich Americans. Besides that, this is one of those things that would mitigate your "laziness" claim. Americans would have the freedom to pursue their interests and do things they want to do. Instead of forcing themselves only into jobs that can pay bills. And guess what would happen to that middle class that "would foot the bill", that bill of college debt would be gone. I'm assuming you don't understand how ridiculous college has gotten. In my 6 years at MSU, tuition increased over 33%. The costs keep rising and it's an absolute joke.

Marijuana - Sounds like you would be better suited smack dab in 1930. Prohibition is more your speed. Let's ban alcohol. Or let's regulate something that people are going to use anyways and get tax dollars out of it. (If you were to argue against legalization, the only two points that are fair imo are to argue against the taxing and that the government will dilute the product / so you don't want regulation on it.) The fact that you see this harmless plant as something to actively fight against tells me you need to roll one and chill the **** out. (Fun fact, I've only smoked a handful of times. Not for me. But I can see it's merits. So inb4 you label me a stoner too. I'm a drunk, get it right.)

Education - I don't even understand your rambling at this point. I'm confused what you could mean here. Are you arguing against private schools? Education system shows you a lot of what the basis would happen with gov healthcare. You can still opt to get privatized if you want, but we ensure everyone has the bare minimum. That's what I want for healthcare. (Not everyone forced on the same plan bs you seem to think.)

Labor - if you think unions are bad then you are horribly, horribly lost. While I do agree that you should have the option to opt out, the fact of the matter is that without unions you see atrocities like amazon warehouses. Being generally against adding protections to the middle class just seems like a weird stance to take for someone who wants to protect their tax dollars.

As for your conclusion. You should get more informed on issues. You parroted bad versions of the extreme right versions of these arguments. If you think the issue is that Americans are too lazy to work (for the first time in history) instead of the fact that the middle class QOL is overall being squeezed and pushed further and further down, then you are mistaken. The fact is that most middle class Americans can't afford to own property anymore. Nothing to do with laziness and everything to do with a system that disproportionately compensates.

I mean really. How ****ing dare you call Americans lazy when so many of us are put into the "essential worker roles", labeled as heroes, and shown minimal to no extra compensation. So many of these people can't earn a wage that allows them to buy a house but they're essential to the fabric of our nation. AND YOU CALL THEM LAZY. You're an entitled uppity twat if that's how you really feel. Go move to Russia, their system and people align more with your beliefs than America. (Makes a lot of sense why you want Donald.)

Banned
    vCash
    I laughed. Can't spread rep around to you yet. I guess I need to be more liberal in who I give rep to, to reward good jokes properly.

Banned
    vCash
    You forgot these ***** haha!

Probably would be a true statement when we ain't getting communism shoved down our throat. We got a lot of issues in this country and there are some big bankers that should be in jail for life because of 2008 but ... we ain't standing in line at grocery stores for the bare meat & potato essentials and our poor folks that aren't homeless actually have almost as high a standard of dwellings in most cases to rival the middle class in England. And they usually have the highest dollar cell phones too.

Don't think any of that is due to UBI either.
    In regards to that meat and potato line, it got somewhat scary here for a while with the 100 limit in store shit. Surreal thing to witness for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    I don't like that a "front line health worker" would say the hysteria is solely due to the media. Hopefully by now you have changed your tune.

Without getting into specifics, I work with data, analytics, and emrs to help better streamline patient care across all fronts. I'm privy to some of the data and stats that I'm continually told on here that I have no clue about or am a dumbass.

I'm not the one out of touch. It's actually really rich for someone who blamed the media to say that. I'm curious if you still hold that opinion or you have gathered more data and changed your tune. I hope so.
    I never said he did not work in healthcare. That's putting words in my mouth. I said he likely doesn't do anything healthcare related. IE, work closely with patients / data to where he would be able to see what's going on. He can be closer in physical proximity while being further from understanding what's happening.

I consider the front lines to be doctors / nurses / people of that ilk. They are up close and personal AND they have access to the data. That's my criteria for the front lines. But being close to the action does not mean understanding the action.

If jimbob lived right next to the hospital and worked an accounting job remotely would you consider him closer to the action than joedan who quarantined out in the sticks with his internet access helping view patient data and give input based on what was recorded. I mean jimbob is right next to it every day. Surely he's closer than joedan right?

Matt showed a clear lack of understanding of the seriousness of the issue and joined the countless others in this thread that have been proven wrong time and again. If he's privy to patient data then he would surely have had a different opinion. If he's seriously an RN then his coworkers would be sickened to hear him calling this a media craze.
    No I've not changed my opinion. If anything recent events have reinforced my opinion. https://imgur.com/a/tH61SGX

If numbers are being added to the coronavirus death toll of those that haven't even tested positive then the legitimacy of the coronavirus death toll numbers are gone. *Let me be clear that I'm in no way saying people aren't dying to the coronavirus just that the numbers can't be trusted* Here's another link to the NYT reporting on the death toll in New York going up by the thousands after they included those that were "presumed" to have died of COVID but were never tested: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/n...0uofkK7Dl5lgbM

Another factor that has been hit on here are the death total projections that went from astronomically high to now in the 60k range - https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
    I realize a main defense for that has been the social distancing put in place but I like some others on here believe that this virus has been here for some time maybe even as early as December but of course this paragraph and even the link (death projections) are all speculation and we can argue this to death. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I read a post by Hacker earlier that responded to one of the others mentioning the coronavirus deaths and numbers being misleading where he said (I'm paraphrasing so forgive me Hacker if it's not completely accurate), "If someone has COVID but is murdered then that death will go down as a murder." It should but I don't believe even that is as clear cut. While not a murder per say you may or may not be aware of the 6 wk old baby that died in CT a little while back and the governor and media were sensationalizing the child's death as the "youngest victim to succumb to COVID19." Later it was claimed the death was due to accidental suffocation by the caretaker but more specifics weren't released out of "sensitivity to the parents." The child tested positive for the coronavirus postmortem and the governor and media ran with it. Either way the coroner has yet to rule and the governor has walked back his statements.
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...icut-baby.html
    https://www.dailywire.com/news/viral...MOB8FaxpGR9beU

Our hospitals here are operating with very low patient census and I live and work in a bigger city. I realize that due to elective surgeries and what not being for the most part delayed until further notice play a large part in this but we were also preparing for a large surge in COVID patients which while we have a few positives it's nothing like we prepared for (Good thing). The bad part is that nurses are being laid off. Last I heard the number we laid off here recently was around the 800 mark but that was last week and that's one hospital. I have friends saying the same thing about their hospitals in other states. A hospital in OK City just closed and only left the ER and some outpatient areas open. Many nurses were laid off. I also speak with several that travel nurse and a few that were in the process of going to New York. I actually looked into it as well since it paid north of $10,000 a week. That was about two or so weeks ago I believe and now those contracts to NY are being cancelled (these were mostly 13 week contracts). It's not just New York contracts being cancelled but Cali, Wash, LA some of the hardest hit areas that were begging for help all of sudden no longer need nurses. I'm grateful to still have a job but to be fair I wouldn't be surprised if I was looking for a new one at some point. Here I was thinking that by going into the medical field I'd never have to worry about job security.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...ff/5102320002/

Your statement that other nurses would be disgusted by my opinions of the media and it's role during this difficult time is painting with a very broad brush. It's akin to saying since I support one candidate then all supporters of the other would hate me. No I know many that more or less are of the same mindset. While some may not be as extreme you'd be surprised. Of course there's those that would vilify my standing and I know them and avoid talking about it around them. Just like anything else.

*Btw the highlighted portion of your comment is a lie.* I won't repost your comment saying I don't because you should know what you said.
    Last edited by Matt3467; 04-17-2020 at 04:58 AM.

vCash
    In regards to that meat and potato line, it got somewhat scary here for a while with the 100 limit in store shit. Surreal thing to witness for sure.
    But you trying to bring that to America. Cause that's what communism is like dude. That's what it's like when everybody has the "basic" living conditions. There are fewer elites at the top, and an equal class that is about like our poorest. No in between much to speak of. The store shelves are mostly bare.

ETA: And here's something to think about. EVERYTHING the govt gets involved in, medicine (medicare/medicaid), education (student loans), etc. costs go up and quality goes down. Every time. And things govt really should regulate (like banking) they decided starting in about 1980 to deregulate and over time 2008 happened. There are things the govt should regulate, but most of the rest they should be mostly hands-off of. Let states do what maybe should be done in most of those areas.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 04-17-2020 at 06:14 AM.

vCash
    How many are out there with covid19 and have no idea? Could be a lot... 60% of cases on USS Theodore Roosevelt were asymptotic. This is a huge number.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/possible-...201204720.html

Then there's another number we don't have, recovered among the asymptotic.
    Last edited by msstate7; 04-17-2020 at 06:02 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    How many are out there with covid19 and have no idea? Could be a lot... 60% of cases on USS Theodore Roosevelt were asymptotic. This is a huge number.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/possible-...201204720.html

Then there's another number we don't have, recovered among the asymptotic.
    What's the definition of "recovered among asymptotoc" ... you meant asymptomatic didn't you? But even then, if you never develop symptoms, what do you have to recover from. Maybe the disease is "active" among them with no symptoms and after that they'll test negative and an antibody test is needed to find out if they have had it??

vCash
    What's the definition of "recovered among asymptotoc" ... you meant asymptomatic didn't you? But even then, if you never develop symptoms, what do you have to recover from. Maybe the disease is "active" among them with no symptoms and after that they'll test negative and an antibody test is needed to find out if they have had it??
    I thought it was "asymptomatic", but the article made me question it. Here's an exert from the article...

"The Navy found that out of the 48-hundred member crew - about 600 were positive for the virus. 60 percent of those were asymptotic."

This made me question my use of "asymptomatic".

As far as "recovered"... yeah, bad word choice, but you get what I'm saying

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    No I've not changed my opinion. If anything recent events have reinforced my opinion. https://imgur.com/a/tH61SGX

If numbers are being added to the coronavirus death toll of those that haven't even tested positive then the legitimacy of the coronavirus death toll numbers are gone. *Let me be clear that I'm in no way saying people aren't dying to the coronavirus just that the numbers can't be trusted* Here's another link to the NYT reporting on the death toll in New York going up by the thousands after they included those that were "presumed" to have died of COVID but were never tested: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/14/n...0uofkK7Dl5lgbM

Another factor that has been hit on here are the death total projections that went from astronomically high to now in the 60k range - https://covid19.healthdata.org/united-states-of-america
    I realize a main defense for that has been the social distancing put in place but I like some others on here believe that this virus has been here for some time maybe even as early as December but of course this paragraph and even the link (death projections) are all speculation and we can argue this to death. We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one.

I read a post by Hacker earlier that responded to one of the others mentioning the coronavirus deaths and numbers being misleading where he said (I'm paraphrasing so forgive me Hacker if it's not completely accurate), "If someone has COVID but is murdered then that death will go down as a murder." It should but I don't believe even that is as clear cut. While not a murder per say you may or may not be aware of the 6 wk old baby that died in CT a little while back and the governor and media were sensationalizing the child's death as the "youngest victim to succumb to COVID19." Later it was claimed the death was due to accidental suffocation by the caretaker but more specifics weren't released out of "sensitivity to the parents." The child tested positive for the coronavirus postmortem and the governor and media ran with it. Either way the coroner has yet to rule and the governor has walked back his statements.

Our hospitals here are operating with very low patient census and I live and work in a bigger city. I realize that due to elective surgeries and what not being for the most part delayed until further notice play a large part in this but we were also preparing for a large surge in COVID patients which while we have a few positives it's nothing like we prepared for (Good thing). The bad part is that nurses are being laid off. Last I heard the number we laid off here recently was around the 800 mark but that was last week and that's one hospital. I have friends saying the same thing about their hospitals in other states. A hospital in OK City just closed and only left the ER and some outpatient areas open. Many nurses were laid off. I also speak with several that travel nurse and a few that were in the process of going to New York. I actually looked into it as well since it paid north of $10,000 a week. That was about two or so weeks ago I believe and now those contracts to NY are being cancelled (these were mostly 13 week contracts). It's not just New York contracts being cancelled but Cali, Wash, LA some of the hardest hit areas that were begging for help all of sudden no longer need nurses. I'm grateful to still have a job but to be fair I wouldn't be surprised if I was looking for a new one at some point. Here I was thinking that by going into the medical field I'd never have to worry about job security.

Your statement that other nurses would be disgusted by my opinions of the media and it's role during this difficult time is painting with a very broad brush. It's akin to saying since I support one candidate then all supporters of the other would hate me. No I know many that more or less are of the same mindset. While some may not be as extreme you'd be surprised. Of course there's those that would vilify my standing and I know them and avoid talking about it around them. Just like anything else.

*Btw the highlighted portion of your comment is a lie.* I won't repost your comment saying I don't because you should know what you said.
    Best post of the thread. Thank you

vCash

Thanks for nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Tell me what I can do about this? What power do I currently have to make this different?

Notice I didn't say it was ok if true or that I support it or how things are possibly being handled.

I'm asking you to tell me what I can do about it.

Since I didn't vote for Trump or Hillary, don't tell me to vote for the next fake ass politician who doesn't give a damn about the US people anyways. Lay it out for me what you want me or anyone else on this board to do. What is it?

"Open your eyes" doesn't count as a response either. What do you want us to do?

You feel like you can identify all the problems. You might can identify some. But WHAT THE F*$K DO YOU WANT ANYONE OF US TO DO? Or are you just bitching just to bitch? And if you are, you are bitching at the wrong people.
    1.Vote. Spread news. Nothing is stronger than word of mouth. Speak out. 2.Be informed of who the candidates are and what they have done. In 2016 America proved that we still have the ability to choose who our president is. It takes much more than you or me to do this.

Someone referenced it earlier, but it's such a great quote (and a great movie in general) i'm gonna bring it back up. "If you get shown a problem, but have no idea how to control it, you just decide to get used to the problem." Definitely applies here. I don't have all the answers and fixing this system is not a quick and easy process. But the first step to solving any problem... is admitting that there is a problem. So thank you, for being willing to take that step and admit that there is a problem. 3. The only solution we have right now is to be the change we want to see in the world. So be informed. Inform others. Vote (even if it is abstaining. That's still a vote. (Here's wishing we could Brewster's Millions "None of the Above" this presidential campaign.)) Exercise your rights. Don't fall victim to the overwhelming system and feel like it can't be changed. Andrew Yang got hardly any votes in the democratic primaries; however, 4UBI has now come to the forefront of political discussion. That small of a voting bloc had the power to get that idea interjected into the conversation. That's where it starts. Grassroots movements can still happen and cause policy change even if they don't win. Bernie Sanders has definitely help shift the debate into realms that weren't thought possible on American soil. Change is possible. We just have to stay vigilant before it's too late.

1. Literally the first word of your response is what I said not to tell me is a solution. Politicians will do whatever they or their puppeteers pull their strings and tell them to do. Thanks for nothing.

2. You can be informed and still have nothing but crooked ass politician to choose from. (Like every presidential election I've been able to vote in) By the time they are in the position to be elected president (or any other high ranking office) they are so bought and have their pockets so lined it defeats the purpose. The fact that you believe any politician, republican or democrat will make the right decisions for the American people without some sort of angle being played is the problem. You just lap up whatever the side you are on says.

3. So all your political posts on here are you being the change in this world that we all need?.... Fail. IF ANYTHING they are divisive.

4. He would remain with hardly any votes if it weren't for so many people losing their jobs and looking for something to help them through this. This isn't going to last forever. Guarantee you when things get back to normal most of those who signed up for UBI would be complaining about where the rest of their check was. Or as someone else posted, efficiency and work ethic would plummet because there is no benefit to working harder than the next guy. To pretend like everyone has the same initiative and motivation is foolish.

Sorry folks. I know this is political and irrelevant to the COVID thread. I'll drop it with this post.

Banned
    vCash
    There are things the govt should regulate, but most of the rest they should be mostly hands-off of.
    Agree with this statement wholeheartedly. Where we differ is on what those things are. I'm not for true communism (and I think this keeps getting puppeted because early in the thread I made a point to show extendedcab why imposing his religious beliefs are in bad faith on the government. He doesn't want to follow his religion if it doesn't serve him.

As for education, last I checked it's free public education up to 18... no? When we get into college institutions that's where we keep seeing the dollar amount go higher and higher. And the quality going down is a matter of perspective. For the top, quality sure goes down, but for the bottom we create a safety net and bring that quality up. It's kind of a ****ed up proposition really. How low are we willing to let our worst fall to allow our highest reach their heights? The answer to that is the root of our difference of opinion.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post

Pray tell, why are people dying so much more than normal then. Explain the huge spike in NY if not for Corona if the death count is being inflated. How you can look at those stats, work in healthcare and still be forcibly ignorant are a complete and total disgrace.

And the fact of the matter that you puppet the stance about how could the projections be so high until we did what the doctor ordered. Sounds like the patient who stops taking the antibiotic because they got better and thinks the doctor is stupid for having prescribed it. If you're really an RN you should see the similarity in your beliefs and hopefully do some self reflection.

vCash
    The "not counting deaths" properly is a tired discussion. If physicians are reporting cause of death, then this is actually quite easy to do correctly. Regardless, the total is not going to be that statistically different. I'm not convinced we don't get to more than 60k deaths reported the way its looking right now. The course of this disease in the USA in general is still fairly early. Its hard to comprehend in Mississippi because it, and many other places, are light year different situations than NYC or NJ. Not saying this to argue we shouldn't be trying to open things up slowly, because we should. But I keep seeing people downplaying this due to projections yet we are sitting here in mid-April at 34k and rising pretty steadily, and no one has opened up anything yet. The death toll is going to be a large number before this Summer is over, but I'm not sure how you avoid it eventually without a vaccine.