Page 258 of 274 FirstFirst ... 158208248256257258259260268 ... LastLast
Results 5,141 to 5,160 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    When you are telling people to decide between online education and in class education what you are doing is making people decide between no eduction and getting an education/free meals. Especially in Mississippi. Mississippi is (no surprise) one of the lowest ranked states for access to high speed internet and first in poverty. You can mandate online classes but what you are doing is restricting over 65% of the children in Mississippi from getting an education. You are also keeping about 225,000 children in Mississippi that live below the poverty level from getting an education and meals that they depend on. This falls squarely on the backs of a majority of minority children in this state.

I understand you are scared of the virus but there is much more in play here than fear of a coronavirus.
    They also can't play sports if they stay home.

vCash
    When you are telling people to decide between online education and in class education what you are doing is making people decide between no eduction and getting an education/free meals. Especially in Mississippi. Mississippi is (no surprise) one of the lowest ranked states for access to high speed internet and first in poverty. You can mandate online classes but what you are doing is restricting over 65% of the children in Mississippi from getting an education. You are also keeping about 225,000 children in Mississippi that live below the poverty level from getting an education and meals that they depend on. This falls squarely on the backs of a majority of minority children in this state.

I understand you are scared of the virus but there is much more in play here than fear of a coronavirus.
    MS is also last (or near the bottom) in population health which is a contributing factor to a successful outcome if you contract the virus.

I'm not "scared" of the virus, simply providing discussion. I, currently, have kids in elementary schools - with a spouse that is a teacher. Am I scared for them, not necessarily - but we do ensure they understand the impact of wearing a mask and taking precautions.

I think a lot of low-income, rural areas (and people) struggle with the same issue and it isn't isolated to just MS.

I think the virus rates fall along socioeconomic lines more than I do racial lines. There is a discussion that the virus impacts African-American and Latino communities at a greater rate, but I wonder if that is due to economic status. I understand the point about protests and demonstrations that didn't follow social distancing and/or any type of precautions, but when you see the virus spread through the Delta (and I understand Johnson's point about a/c) like it did - I do have compassion for those parent(s) that have what seems like the deck stacked against them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Not sure what that has to do with positivity rate and deaths, which are the two topics in the tweet.
    If the harder hit areas like Palm Beach, Miami, etc. stopped testing due to the storm - it would impact positivity rate.

I was simply pointing out that all things weren't equal because testing sites had closed. Don't you think that would impact all the numbers outside of mortality?

vCash
    Honestly...we need a good treatment more than we need a vaccine. Here is why: vaccine will force mutation on this virus due to natural selection. That can make it more contagious and more deadly really fast and things can spiral out of control with a virus of this type even further than it already has.

A good treatment or medication that will clear up an infection quickly will allow the virus to run it's course and settle down into the population where it will be treated more like a common cold. Additionally, any treatment developed for this virus will probably be effective on the common cold so that's a double plus.
    Nothing drives mutation more than treatments. Especially one you would prescribe and people take a couple doses and stop after they feel better. A potential goal of vaccine would be complete eradication and we don't know enough about this virus yet to know if that's possible or if it will become endemic. Also, I wouldn't hold your breath on an overwhelmingly effective treatment for cold-causing viruses because so far none exist. Its possible they find one that works well for COVID-19 with more research, but its not going to cheap and convenient.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    MS is also last (or near the bottom) in population health which is a contributing factor to a successful outcome if you contract the virus.

I'm not "scared" of the virus, simply providing discussion. I, currently, have kids in elementary schools - with a spouse that is a teacher. Am I scared for them, not necessarily - but we do ensure they understand the impact of wearing a mask and taking precautions.

I think a lot of low-income, rural areas (and people) struggle with the same issue and it isn't isolated to just MS.

I think the virus rates fall along socioeconomic lines more than I do racial lines. There is a discussion that the virus impacts African-American and Latino communities at a greater rate, but I wonder if that is due to economic status. I understand the point about protests and demonstrations that didn't follow social distancing and/or any type of precautions, but when you see the virus spread through the Delta (and I understand Johnson's point about a/c) like it did - I do have compassion for those parent(s) that have what seems like the deck stacked against them.
    Your last paragraph there is my thinking as well. I believe it has a lot to do with socioeconomics more than something genetic within black or Hispanic populations.

vCash
    If the harder hit areas like Palm Beach, Miami, etc. stopped testing due to the storm - it would impact positivity rate.

I was simply pointing out that all things weren't equal because testing sites had closed. Don't you think that would impact all the numbers outside of mortality?
    Yesterday, Miami-dade, broward, and palm beach counties reported 2,886 of Florida's 7,650 cases.

vCash
    Yesterday, Miami-dade, broward, and palm beach counties reported 2,886 of Florida's 7,650 cases.
    Don't bother 7. He'll just come up with some other "excuse" that things can't possibly be getting better. What he should really do is read the reply to Clay Travis' tweet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketCityDawg View Post
    Don't bother 7. He'll just come up with some other "excuse" that things can't possibly be getting better. What he should really do is read the reply to Clay Travis' tweet.
    Who says I'm a "he"????

#MAGA

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketCityDawg View Post
    Good news should be good news. Florida being pass peak is good for all Americans.

vCash
    Who says I'm a "he"????

#MAGA
    I knew it! You're a tranny!

vCash
    I know you'll all be excited, here's a good news post:

Starting to see shifts from several epidemiologists/modelers on Twitter about "effective herd immunity" -- since the effective r0 is around 1 in most places, effective herd immunity is much lower.

[tweet2]1291860659118804992[/tweet2]

[tweet2]1291092330372636672[/tweet2]

This link is also really good if you're interested in the longer form: http://covid19-projections.com/estim...ue-infections/

vCash
    With our high posi test rate, let's say we're at the upper side of the CDC's estimate of real cases, 7-10x documented number. This would put our cases at 455k - 650k, which is .15-.22 of our population. If we do start hitting herd immunity walls soon, this summer surge could've been a relatively good thing since we got it out the way somewhat before flu season. Of course, we may just keep piling up cases too, but fingers crossed...

vCash
    Just as a side note, cases in Texas started falling again after the governor issued a mostly statewide mask mandate, so that's positive news regarding being able to keep the virus under control until a vaccine is released. People still aren't going to restaurants, barbershops, and other indoor retail businesses in the bigger cities though, so those businesses are really hurting right now.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    Just as a side note, cases in Texas started falling again after the governor issued a mostly statewide mask mandate, so that's positive news regarding being able to keep the virus under control until a vaccine is released. People still aren't going to restaurants, barbershops, and other indoor retail businesses in the bigger cities though, so those businesses are really hurting right now.
    No such mask orders in Sweden. I'm not a mask hater... I wear one myself in indoor public places. I don't think they're an automatic trump card vs corona though... Hawaii and Japan are big mask proponents, and both are seeing a big increase in cases. Again though, I do think we should wear them.

vCash
    I don't think they're an automatic trump card vs corona though...
    Your puns don't go unnoticed**

vCash
    With our high posi test rate, let's say we're at the upper side of the CDC's estimate of real cases, 7-10x documented number. This would put our cases at 455k - 650k, which is .15-.22 of our population. If we do start hitting herd immunity walls soon, this summer surge could've been a relatively good thing since we got it out the way somewhat before flu season. Of course, we may just keep piling up cases too, but fingers crossed...
    Here is an article regarding testing if you want to read it. Explains why the Ohio Governor tested positive, then immediately negative.

https://news.yahoo.com/accurate-viru...183931178.html

vCash
    No such mask orders in Sweden. I'm not a mask hater... I wear one myself in indoor public places. I don't think they're an automatic trump card vs corona though... Hawaii and Japan are big mask proponents, and both are seeing a big increase in cases. Again though, I do think we should wear them.
    Masks aren't an automatic trump card, but here in my county (Madison, population about 375,000) we have had a mandatory mask order for about 4 weeks. In that period, daily cases have dropped (running 5 day average) from about 180 to around 60-70 (reading numbers off a graph so can't be precise). I don't know what the correlation with masks and reduced number of cases is, but on the surface appears to be significant here.

vCash
    One in Three Americans Would Not Get COVID-19 Vaccine

https://news.gallup.com/poll/317018/...d-vaccine.aspx

vCash
    This weekend was out in the metropolis of Pheba looking for some minnows to take the kids fishing. Went into the two country stores there. No mask sign in the doors and nobody wearing masks in the stores...employees or patrons. I was it. Take that back. The second store a young couple came in also wanting minnows. She had a mask in but he didn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    This weekend was out in the metropolis of Pheba looking for some minnows to take the kids fishing. Went into the two country stores there. No mask sign in the doors and nobody wearing masks in the stores...employees or patrons. I was it. Take that back. The second store a young couple came in also wanting minnows. She had a mask in but he didn't.

We still have some in MS, who either (1) don't care about the health and well being of others; (2) for some unknown reason have no clue what is going on; or (3) have the (stupid) mentality that "nobody" is going to tell them what to do and not to do.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 08-09-2020 at 12:24 PM.