Page 237 of 274 FirstFirst ... 137187227235236237238239247 ... LastLast
Results 4,721 to 4,740 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Context matters. From the article you linked:

"?This is part of the testing mechanism problem. People are sitting in their cars, sometimes for hours, or standing in line, six feet apart sometimes for hours. You?re registered though, you?re number 15 in line, and you are Jay Wolfson. If Jay Wolfson says he can?t wait any longer and he leaves, it will get number 15 and now get Rebecca Fernandez, who was standing behind him, and she tests positive, and then everyone from then on gets the wrong results. There has to be a better way to do this,? explained Dr. Jay Wolfson, Public Health & Medicine Professor for the University of South Florida."

I guess you and Dawgology can keep trolling this thread with every article and opinion you can find, but at least provide some context to your article. The story was about how people are getting positive results without taking the test, because results are provided based on the number assigned and if you leave before getting tested - you're getting the results of the person originally behind you.

I still don't believe that all results are accurate anyway, so I guess we should just stop testing like our POTUS would prefer.
    Go read my post to hacker. Thought you were smart too... clearly I was wrong.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    And to add to the previous point it most certainly would change the number of positives. So 15 is a positive and 16 isn't. Well when 16 goes back in a week he is. So that's 2 for what was really one. And if the line is jacked up that bad from 15 on it could make a huge difference over time. It's not complicated to see
    You must have missed Brunswickdawg's post from earlier. He showed how they handle this situation. Believe it or not, people do think of this stuff beforehand.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebob View Post
    You must have missed Brunswickdawg's post from earlier. He showed how they handle this situation. Believe it or not, people do think of this stuff beforehand.
    It shows you how to handle it, not how it was handled in this case. Pretty clear..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Go read my post to hacker. Thought you were smart too... clearly I was wrong.
    What are you talking about Chief? My reply that you're referencing was to MSState7 and had nothing to do with whatever you and Hacker are discussing.

Since I'm replying though, I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in: The whole state of FL has bungled their response (ie data, tests, PR, etc.) from the beginning - which is where the article originated. Brunswick outlined the GA process. As you can see, there are different processes being done across the country, but Trump has decided his greatest accomplishment in this crisis has been the level of testing. For one, testing isn't administered by the Federal Government (as shown by testing processes within the states) and has been mismanaged from the beginning (ie wait times, amount of reagent and/or tests, false positive rates, etc.).

My stance has been (and will continue to be) that testing is only going to tell you how prevalent the virus is within your community - and that may be a stretch due to the amount of asymptomatic carriers. What I've focused on is whether health systems are being overrun. If we can weather the virus and not tax our hospitals (both urban and rural), I'm all for living life as normal as possible using science as our guide.

vCash
    National 7 day case average stays flat. Big for a Tuesday! Let's see if we can get it to drop by weeks end!

vCash
    What are you talking about Chief? My reply that you're referencing was to MSState7 and had nothing to do with whatever you and Hacker are discussing.

Since I'm replying though, I'll go ahead and throw my two cents in: The whole state of FL has bungled their response (ie data, tests, PR, etc.) from the beginning - which is where the article originated. Brunswick outlined the GA process. As you can see, there are different processes being done across the country, but Trump has decided his greatest accomplishment in this crisis has been the level of testing. For one, testing isn't administered by the Federal Government (as shown by testing processes within the states) and has been mismanaged from the beginning (ie wait times, amount of reagent and/or tests, false positive rates, etc.).

My stance has been (and will continue to be) that testing is only going to tell you how prevalent the virus is within your community - and that may be a stretch due to the amount of asymptomatic carriers. What I've focused on is whether health systems are being overrun. If we can weather the virus and not tax our hospitals (both urban and rural), I'm all for living life as normal as possible using science as our guide.
    I shouldn't give Georgia too much credit - while they seem to have done well this making sure the right sample goes with the right person, the status update you get via e-mail telling you to check your results looks like it was written by a Nigerian Prince asking you for help with his lost fortune. I had to assure one of our posters on here that his e-mail response was legit.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

Not sure that's really true. I'm sure there's plenty to criticize Florida for, but they at least didn't force nursing homes to take in infected people. If you look at deaths per capita, they are pretty middling with 23.8 deaths per 100,000. New York is over three times that at 78.9. Massachusetts is at 122 per 100k.
    New jersey at 176 per 100k. California is at 19.5 and Washington is at 19.3 and Oregon is 6.3. (https://www.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#cases). If FLorida really botched it, then apparently government response just doesn't matter that much.

I do think people overestimate how much impact government policy has. I think some places like New York really made things worse with some terrible policy decisions, but mostly people's cases seem to be a function of how early they were exposed, what their density is, what their climate is like, etc. New York was a relatively perfect storm. Exposed when they were still experiencing cold weather and a dense population. Florida was fortunate that they were already pretty warm when they were exposed and less dense, but once it got hot enough to push people into air conditionoing, you saw the cases take off. California has the advantage of relatively mild weather in much of the state and relatively low density for a populous state, and they have locked down pretty severely, at least officially, but they are doing worse than Texas, which obviously has a lot of AC, although they did have the benefit of probably getting exposed later than California and Florida.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    National 7 day case average stays flat. Big for a Tuesday! Let's see if we can get it to drop by weeks end!
    Stays flat again. Big for a Wednesday! Let's turn that curve baby!

vCash
    Remember when we were told how Japan citizens wear masks all the time, and that's why they whipped COVID? They're having a pretty big turn now...

Don't get me wrong... they kicking the crap out of us. I do find it odd that the country that wears masks more than anyone is having a 2nd outbreak.

vCash
    Where did the data go????

"Public health experts say detailed local data on where people are hospitalized — a real-time measure that does not depend on levels of testing — is crucial to understanding the epidemic, but federal officials have not made this data public."

https://www.yahoo.com/news/data-show...121321021.html

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Remember when we were told how Japan citizens wear masks all the time, and that's why they whipped COVID? They're having a pretty big turn now...

Don't get me wrong... they kicking the crap out of us. I do find it odd that the country that wears masks more than anyone is having a 2nd outbreak.
    Ugh, that's less than 750 cases a day in a nation of 126 million. We are having twice that in a state of 3 million.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Ugh, that's less than 750 cases a day in a nation of 126 million. We are having twice that in a state of 3 million.
    Thus the "kicking the crap out of us" part. Still, why are cases rising at an alarming rate in a country that wears masks religiously?

vCash
    Thus the "kicking the crap out of us" part. Still, why are cases rising at an alarming rate in a country that wears masks religiously?
    They would have to be reporting about 63,000 cases a day to be where we are in Mississippi. I'd say they are still doing VERY well.

vCash
    How many test do they do per day?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    How many test do they do per day?
    We've tested 153,565 per million pop. They've tested 5,303 per million pop. Total numbers: US - 50.8 million, Japan - 670k

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    They could just now be getting the more contagious strain, so they might start seeing a bump. https://www.biospace.com/article/mut...re-contagious/

vCash
    We've tested 153,565 per million pop. They've tested 5,303 per million pop. Total numbers: US - 50.8 million, Japan - 670k
    Thanks for the info.

vCash
    https://www.axios.com/cdc-coronaviru...4bb54b14a.html

This article may have been discussed before but this research seems to indicate that infection rates are about 10x the number of positive tests on average.

That’s significant.

vCash
    Spain's upward trend continues... big jump today. Today's 2,615 cases is the highest since May 11

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I haven't been following Japan but you got me interested, so I did a quick round of googlin'. As of a couple of weeks ago, most of the new cases were coming out of Tokyo and the majority of those apparently resulted from lax behavior in the city's, um, "entertainment" establishments:

"Most of these cases are related to Tokyo's nightlife districts and the authorities are focusing their testing efforts on people who work in these areas and trying to trace their customers," said Kazuhito Tateda, president of the Japan Association of Infectious Diseases and a member of the government committee set up to combat the spread of the virus.

"Places like Kabukicho, Shinjuku and Roppongi are quite dangerous and we are telling people that they have to be careful," he said.

The government has issued operators of host and hostess bars with guidelines on how to protect their staff and customers, but an industry that relies on intimacy for its appeal is inevitably resistant to adopting face masks, social distancing and rubber gloves.

There are indications that similar nightlife districts in other cities are also serving as ground zero for localised clusters, with eight female staff in a hostess bar in Utsunomiya, north of Tokyo, also testing positive. That outbreak has been traced back to a customer who had visited the club earlier in the month.
    Just a wild guess here, but I bet that mask culture takes a back seat to something else when you saunter into a hostess bar.

In other semi-related news, the world champ so far appears to still be chugging along nicely. Taiwan, with their roughly 25 million people shoved into an island half the size of West Virginia, has to date 455 confirmed cases and 7 deaths. Unemployment is 4%. And they're playing baseball with undistanced, maskless fans:

Here's an article about how they coordinated the start of their baseball season, if you're interested.

Even with their proximity to China and huge number of commuters between the two countries, I'm sure the geographical advantages of the island is a massive help. Still, other places with similar advantages haven't done as well. And regardless, it's just damn impressive.

Indoors is a different story. To enter a restaurant, gym or office building, you still need to wear a mask and have your temperature taken, according to CNBC. Citizens disregarding mask regulations in certain areas, such as the subway, must pay hefty fines.

It's considered acceptable to name and shame mask slackers and quarantine breakers on social media.

What accounts for Taiwan's success in keeping COVID-19 at bay? These measures played a large role:

- Nearly universal mask wear.

- Strict quarantining of incoming visitors. (The quarantine, implemented in January, was relaxed on June 22 for business travelers of countries deemed low-risk. The United States was not among them.)

- Free, rapid testing; isolation; and contact tracing.

- Real-time electric monitoring of citizens' health records, patient visits and travel history.
    (If you're interested in a quick(ish) read on some of the technological advances of their healthcare system that helped make their success possible, here you go.)

And, hell, why not, here's this cheery update on we're all doing in SEC and ACC country:

Ok, back to that job thingy that I'm supposed to be doing . . . .
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 07-23-2020 at 12:53 PM.