Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheaddawg View Post
    Not True. It absolutely could have been slowed.
    Prove it. Because nobody has. But you're going to panic and bitch and moan, so go ahead.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Prove it. Because nobody has. But you're going to panic and bitch and moan, so go ahead.
    Lolz, ok....if this is what you're going to contribute, just go back to the ****ing dugout.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    How can you say there was nothing we could do when several other countries a lot poorer, less developed than us - have not only slowed the spread, it has basically stopped.

We are following the Italy model as opposed to the Japan/South Korea model.

Shit, in most places in MS/AL we don't even have tests still.

I think its safe to say that this was a cluster****. To try and act like the administration took this seriously and that there was simply nothing we could do, is just creating a narrative out of thin air. I say all this despite voting for the man. He ****ed this up. Any attempt to say otherwise is just partisan bullshit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    How can you say there was nothing we could do when several other countries a lot poorer, less developed than us - have not only slowed the spread, it has basically stopped.

I think its safe to say that this was a cluster****. To try and act like the administration took this seriously and that there was simply nothing we could do, is just creating a narrative out of thin air. I say all this despite voting for the man. He ****ed this up. Any attempt to say otherwise is just partisan bullshit.
    Which country are you speaking of? I would agree that Taiwan (0.92%) and S. Korea (1.08%) have death rates that seem to be under control. But these three nations share a conviction that the People's Republic of China is not a friend and probably Taiwan (the Good Chinese people that FDR and Truman sold out) is especially careful of China. They are still on a war posture with China and/or the China satellite North Korea.

Other major free nations (Death rate %)....Germany (0.28%), UK (5.09%), Italy (8.29%), Spain (4.60%), Netherlands (3.08%), Canada (1.37%), Japan (3.49%), and France (3.37%). The US is 1.43%.

The other major issue is that each year there are 41M Americans traveling abroad. That's more people than Canada's entire population. Also the USA gets 3M visitors from China per year. Only Canadian and Mexican nationals visit the US more than Chinese nationals. US universities have 360K chinese students, Germany only has 36K. The US has more undocumented migrants than S Korea has people. The US also has the biggest companies in the world, you have legions of American expats working and traveling to china at any given moment.

I am not trying to be homer for any government official, the US actually is supposed to be a limited government society. So ordering and appropriating the supply chain of a particular industry is not the design of the US government, who owns the inventory and how do you account for the material? The mayor of New York, California Governor, US senators, and US presidents are not suppose issue directives to clinics, particular hospitals, or pharmacies. Even Martial Law and Curfew is going to get ACLU challenges before this is said and done. Then you have tort lawyers, that nobody else has on Earth. If a US test is 99.97% accurate and 8 people are false negative and they infect and kill a few people....that could destroy a company.

vCash

We are not Japan or South Korea, mostly for good and sometimes for bad. We will always look indecisive compared to them in any crisis, which again, will sometimes be good and sometimes be bad. I don't think Trump has done a particularly good or bad job. It's been abundantly clear that our bureaucracies are out of control and working against him a lot, so even if he had tried to weigh in on the day to day decisions and standing procedures that 17ed us, I don't know that it would have made anything better or worse.

The head of CDC doesn't look like an unqualified appointment. Hard to really hammer Trump for that one. I really doubt Trump was involved in the CDC's decision to do its own test or in screwing it up. I don't think Trump was the one that put the FDA regulations in place that required other parties to have to go through a time consuming approval process. (Probably the biggest thing you can blame Trump for is not just issuing an emergency executive order suspending those regs; that might not have exactly been legal, but provided nobody got injunctive relief against it, it would be a moot issue by the time it was resolved).

We are never going to be set up to respond to a crisis like this with the swift efficiency of smaller, more homogenous and obedient cultures or authoritarian ones. WHen the first CDC test didn't work, that pretty much 17ed us.

vCash

Trump will get the blame for the delay in serious action, yes. It probably means Biden will be your next president.

CHINA was going to make sure other nations took it lightly with LIES, MIS-INFORMATION, and COVER-UP.
    Last edited by MaroonFlounder; 03-20-2020 at 08:47 AM.