Page 240 of 274 FirstFirst ... 140190230238239240241242250 ... LastLast
Results 4,781 to 4,800 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    While I agree this isn't the flu. Your post is totally dishonest. Here's the article it's from...

https://www.businessinsider.com/coro...-by-age-2020-6

"... The number of people killed by influenza each year isn't reported the same way that COVID-19 deaths are ? a discrepancy that can cause confusion when comparing the numbers.

The CDC estimates the total number of flu infections in the US via its influenza-surveillance system, which gathers data from state and local partners and projects nationwide totals using infectious-disease models...."

"... Because of the newness of the coronavirus, calculations of the disease's death rate come from dividing the number of confirmed COVID-19 deaths by the total of confirmed cases. The numbers in the chart above come from the CDC's most recent June report.

In the US, the coronavirus has infected more than 2.3 million people since the first case was reported on January 22. But that case total likely far undercounts the true scope of the outbreak because it includes only those who have gotten tested...."

Right now the CDC puts the infection mortality rate range at 0.005-0.008.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...cenarios.html#
    My post was honest and it was about goalposts being moved....

Are you telling me (based off your post) that it's insincere to compare mortality rates for a novel virus to one we already have a research on?

I think where I went wrong is that I used CDC numbers. Since they don't manage the data any longer, do you have any HHS data you could post to show the comparison?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    My post was honest and it was about goalposts being moved....

Are you telling me (based off your post) that it's insincere to compare mortality rates for a novel virus to one we already have a research on?

I think where I went wrong is that I used CDC numbers. Since they don't manage the data any longer, do you have any HHS data you could post to show the comparison?
    If you want the post to be factual, either use CDC estimates for both or documented cases for both. I shouldn't have to explain the difference to an adult, but I suppose it's necessary.

vCash
    If you want the post to be factual, either use CDC estimates for both or documented cases for both. I shouldn't have to explain the difference to an adult, but I suppose it's necessary.
    You post a lot of data/charts from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

While we all appreciate you letting us know what is happening in Papua New Guinea and Kazakhstan, it looks like for the US - they pull data from CDC (just like my graph), so are you using factual data? Wonder why they haven't moved to pulling stats from HHS?

#goalpostsmoving

vCash
    You post a lot of data/charts from here: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

While we all appreciate you letting us know what is happening in Papua New Guinea and Kazakhstan, it looks like for the US - they pull data from CDC (just like my graph), so are you using factual data? Wonder why they haven't moved to pulling stats from HHS?

#goalpostsmoving
    No data is factual in this Covid bullshit.

vCash
    Forget it. I can't understand the difference in documented rates and estimated rates for you. Compare them how you will...
    Last edited by msstate7; 07-26-2020 at 10:49 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    240 pages in this thread and this is possibly the most accurate statement to date.

vCash
    Forget it. I can't understand the difference in documented rates and estimated rates for you. Compare them how you will...
    Why are you not answering my questions? I haven't asked about estimated vs documented, but I have asked why your data source isn't using HHS numbers and why you use worldometers as your source? I also asked if you thought it was insincere to compare a novel virus to an existing one?

You post so many charts and tables, I figured you had done your research. Please educate me.

vCash
    Why won’t Mississippians wear masks? Whether you believe they work or not why not just give it a try. It’s really f’n simple to do.

vCash
    Why are you not answering my questions? I haven't asked about estimated vs documented, but I have asked why your data source isn't using HHS numbers and why you use worldometers as your source? I also asked if you thought it was insincere to compare a novel virus to an existing one?

You post so many charts and tables, I figured you had done your research. Please educate me.
    Worldometers gets their data from each state's dept of health/health dept.

I don't care if you use cdc. Hell, I posted the link to the cdc's covid death rate estimations. All I asked is that you post estimates to estimates or documented to documented. Even in the estimates, the data is in your favor for this argument you're making. Who in here is saying the flu is equal?
    Last edited by msstate7; 07-26-2020 at 04:31 PM.

vCash
    Worldometers gets their data from each state's dept of health/health dept.

I don't care if you use cdc. Hell, I posted the link to the cdc's covid death rate estimations. All I asked is that you post estimates to estimates or documented to documented. Even in the estimates, the data is in your favor for this argument you're making. Who in here is saying the flu is equal?
    So should I use the Chinese Center for Disease for data like you've previously done?

Also, the link at the bottom of worldometer's page doesn't mention state's dept. of health/health dept.. Am I overlooking that? I see CDC as source #2, but nothing about specific state's information.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

vCash
    So should I use the Chinese Center for Disease for data like you've previously done?

Also, the link at the bottom of worldometer's page doesn't mention state's dept. of health/health dept.. Am I overlooking that? I see CDC as source #2, but nothing about specific state's information.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Click link, then scroll to this row. The "1" listed first on each state is the dept oh health for that state.

vCash
    An interesting tidbit I read today. .64% of the population of Mississippi currently has SARS-Cov2. Almost 1.5x as many Mississippians have recovered from Covid than who currently have Covid. That’s a silver lining.

Honestly, if we just all wore masks and did a little social distancing this thing would probably more or less go away in a month or so.

vCash
    Louisiana over 3800 cases today. That's a record for 1 day there

vCash
    https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

Click link, then scroll to this row. The "1" listed first on each state is the dept oh health for that state.
    Thanks! That is very helpful and useful information!

vCash
    I must admit, I’ve been very skeptical about a down of football being played this year but after talking to a member of the the coaching staff this week he was very positive about football happening this fall.

I’ll believe it when I see it but am much more hopeful now that they have practiced some and have even installed much of the offense ball in hand.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Sure it is.
    Downvotes_Hype

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    An interesting tidbit I read today. .64% of the population of Mississippi currently has SARS-Cov2. Almost 1.5x as many Mississippians have recovered from Covid than who currently have Covid. That’s a silver lining.

Honestly, if we just all wore masks and did a little social distancing this thing would probably more or less go away in a month or so.
    Exactly. If we all actually did what is needed, we all will be in a better place.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    240 pages in this thread and this is possibly the most accurate statement to date.
    It's been said multiple times since the beginning of this thread. People saying at the time were considered stupid and told to look at my graph and numbers don't lie.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dparker View Post
    I think it's be more useful to see those bars as maybe a 15 or 30 day moving average. That would help compare what is going on right now across the country because its disingenuous to compare places like the Northeast that had a huge spike early to places that are just ramping up.
    You need to see the totals to get an idea of how much of a population's current stats are due to current actions they are taking like shut downs or mask wearing, and how much is possibly due just to being "over the hump". If texas is wearing masks and Florida isn't, and Texas does better, that's a great sign for the potential to use masks to control this. If New York is wearing masks and FLorida isn't and New York's numbers are looking better, we don't have a good idea of whether that's masks or a sign that New York has had enough infections to slow down the transmission considerably.

The total numbers are also helpful to all the chicken littles, if they would look at them. Florida, California, and Texas have all had pretty different responses. California has been pretty hardcore, Texas sort of in the middle, and Florida relatively hands off beyond trying to keep hospitals from sending patients to nursing homes prematurely.

All three have pretty significant portions of their population that are minorities and/or poor. Florida obviously has a lot of older people also. None of them have an obvious advantage over the other. Florida was disadvantaged by getting hit earlier by the more contagious version of the virus. California was hit earlier, although primarily with the less contagious strain that spread east from Asia first. California should have a slight advantage from having a good portion of its state with moderate climate that doesn't need a lot of air conditioning compared to Texas or Florida. But you can't really see any obvious pattern based on the state actions they took. All are doing relatively well, with Texas doing the best and FLorida doing the worst. There just isn't any story to tell about how one approach obviously works. It appears that the virus mostly does what it's going to do regardless of what the state does.