Page 236 of 274 FirstFirst ... 136186226234235236237238246 ... LastLast
Results 4,701 to 4,720 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I posted the title of the article and the link you dope
    Lighten up francis.. it's you who screwed up... noone knew that was the title to the clickbait article.
    the article as gutter posted fully explains what happen.. and it needs to be fixed. it was the same amount of people testing positives . just the wrong people notified... that's getting twisted into don't trust any response!!! the numbers are fake.
    Which is not true..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Lighten up francis.. it's you who screwed up... noone knew that was the title to the clickbait article.
    the article as gutter posted fully explains what happen.. and it needs to be fixed. it was the same amount of people testing positives . just the wrong people notified... that's getting twisted into don't trust any response!!! the numbers are fake.
    Which is not true..
    I didn't screw up anything. There were posters here who said that people were being told they were positive that never got tested. There were other posters who mocked that and said that was nonsense. I never engaged in that argument either way.

Now about the article, how stupid are the test givers that ram a q-tip down someone's throat without even saying, "hey are you John q?"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Context matters. From the article you linked:

"“This is part of the testing mechanism problem. People are sitting in their cars, sometimes for hours, or standing in line, six feet apart sometimes for hours. You’re registered though, you’re number 15 in line, and you are Jay Wolfson. If Jay Wolfson says he can’t wait any longer and he leaves, it will get number 15 and now get Rebecca Fernandez, who was standing behind him, and she tests positive, and then everyone from then on gets the wrong results. There has to be a better way to do this,” explained Dr. Jay Wolfson, Public Health & Medicine Professor for the University of South Florida."

I guess you and Dawgology can keep trolling this thread with every article and opinion you can find, but at least provide some context to your article. The story was about how people are getting positive results without taking the test, because results are provided based on the number assigned and if you leave before getting tested - you're getting the results of the person originally behind you.

I still don't believe that all results are accurate anyway, so I guess we should just stop testing like our POTUS would prefer.
    I'm sure a number of y'all will blast this -
    But what articles like that show is the ill effects of long term funding and leadership issues within government agencies. Instead of being able to quickly adjust and manage data, Florida is having to rely on hand tallys? That's insane.
    Georgia certainly hasn't kept up public health funding, but even we aren't doing hand tallys in the line.

My wife and son were tested the last week in June, when the wave started hitting here. They had drive thru testing at the Health Dept. After about 90 minutes waiting, they got about 10 cars back. Each of them was given a form with a QR code, and a matching QR code sticker. When the sample was taken, the QR code sticker was put on the sample, and the form was taken. So, if they had left the line, no one else's info would be used. Last week, my son was tested again (insurance requirements by his summer job), and the Health Department now has you register on-line for an assigned time, sends you the QR code via e-mail, your print it, when you show up they scan it, and then print a label for the test sample. Yeah, there is room for error - but nothing like what that article describes.

So back to the first point - when you starve government agencies so that basics like data management are not modernized, and you install political leadership in those agencies - you get Florida. Or, New Jersey, who's Unemployment data management is so old they had no one who knew COBOL on staff to be able re-program changes. And no, I'm not calling for outrageous liberal tax and spend policies to cure our ills. But, if you spend 40 years preaching against government spending, while putting pet projects and wars on credit cards and not maintaining basic services, you guarantee certain results - and a lot of what we are seeing going right now is a reflection of that.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Thanks for clarifying that the article doesn't reflect the title. It was very informative.

I just added you because I'm upset your neck gaiter time is above 1 second. It's an insult to ninjas everywhere to have a time like that!
    Valid point. I'll start training and conditioning. There are no excuses!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    But what articles like that show is the ill effects of long term funding and leadership issues within government agencies. Instead of being able to quickly adjust and manage data, Florida is having to rely on hand tallys? That's insane.
    Georgia certainly hasn't kept up public health funding, but even we aren't doing hand tallys in the line.

My wife and son were tested the last week in June, when the wave started hitting here. They had drive thru testing at the Health Dept. After about 90 minutes waiting, they got about 10 cars back. Each of them was given a form with a QR code, and a matching QR code sticker. When the sample was taken, the QR code sticker was put on the sample, and the form was taken. So, if they had left the line, no one else's info would be used. Last week, my son was tested again (insurance requirements by his summer job), and the Health Department now has you register on-line for an assigned time, sends you the QR code via e-mail, your print it, when you show up they scan it, and then print a label for the test sample. Yeah, there is room for error - but nothing like what that article describes.

So back to the first point - when you starve government agencies so that basics like data management are not modernized, and you install political leadership in those agencies - you get Florida. Or, New Jersey, who's Unemployment data management is so old they had no one who knew COBOL on staff to be able re-program changes. And no, I'm not calling for outrageous liberal tax and spend policies to cure our ills. But, if you spend 40 years preaching against government spending, while putting pet projects and wars on credit cards and not maintaining basic services, you guarantee certain results - and a lot of what we are seeing going right now is a reflection of that.
    Amen and preach!!

vCash
    The funny part of this testing mishap is we actually have people that think we should be contact tracing. We can't even keep up with who we tested to start with.

vCash
    The funny part of this testing mishap is we actually have people that think we should be contact tracing. We can't even keep up with who we tested to start with.
    It's no coincidence that it's universities that have been able to do the most data mining and contact tracing in the US - they are the one area given funding and tools to be able to quickly adapt to these events. Or create risk assessment tools like this:
    https://covid19risk.biosci.gatech.edu/
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Great point

vCash
    We should be. I think it's dumb to dismiss a powerful tool at our disposal just because some mistakes have been made. I'm pretty sure the mistake in the article you linked (and similar mistakes) represents a fraction of a percent of overall tests, which means we could contact trace 99.9% or more cases correctly. There's always going to be errors when the scale of an operation is as large as this one, but it's not statistically relevant.

vCash
    7 day moving average of daily cases in fla, Tex, and AZ are all flat or moving slightly down now.
    Great sign! Hope that continues over the next 7 days.

vCash

Is the government starved for funding or wasting it on bloated bureaucracies and pet projects. I bet if you looked closely it would be the latter but let’s keep throwing money at government entities that have been proven to be inefficient and incompetent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    We should be. I think it's dumb to dismiss a powerful tool at our disposal just because some mistakes have been made. I'm pretty sure the mistake in the article you linked (and similar mistakes) represents a fraction of a percent of overall tests, which means we could contact trace 99.9% or more cases correctly. There's always going to be errors when the scale of an operation is as large as this one, but it's not statistically relevant.
    What good does that do you when the information is wrong?

vCash
    1,635 new cases and 30 deaths in Mississippi.
    #fakenews. I fear that we are slowly approaching a major crises that will inevitably result in Mississippi having to shut down.
    Last edited by Dolphus Raymond; 07-21-2020 at 12:33 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dolphus Raymond View Post
    1,635 new cases and 30 deaths in Mississippi.
    #fakenews. I fear that we are slowly approaching a major crises that will inevitably result in Mississippi having to shut down.
    31. But 5 are from weeks ago. So 26 today. Which puts our seven day average at 15.5.

Of the 31 deaths, 1 in thirties, 1 in forties, 4 in fifties, 4 in sixties. 21 of 31 over seventy.

Hospital numbers keep climbing.

vCash

Basics like data management not being modernized is not a reflection of government agencies being starved. If funding were the problem, you wouldn't have basics neglected. You'd have stuff around the edges. And the fact that one of your examples is New Jersey further puts lie to the idea that it's a funding issue. New Jersey collects plenty of money. They just chose to spend it elsewhere, and compounded that problem by promising a bunch of employees that future tax payers would pay an ever growing amount of money to them after they retire.

It's usually some combination of poor prioritization, politicization of spending decisions, and mission creep. The CDC completely 17ed us with their screwed up testing, and maybe that was just a fluke, or maybe they should have spent more time focusing on the actual mission in their title.

How many of these government agencies that are starved for funds and are failing at what is supposed to be their core jobs have had training in the past twelve months on diversity in the work place? Or even trans issues? Unlike the federal government, there are state agencies that can credibly claim that they are hurt by a lack of funding, and some of those probably exist in states that have a low tax burden despite having an affluent enough population that it should be higher.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Is the government starved for funding or wasting it on bloated bureaucracies and pet projects. I bet if you looked closely it would be the latter but let’s keep throwing money at government entities that have been proven to be inefficient and incompetent.
    Yes. It's not that government needs more funding it's that it needs to redirect funding. The problem with government (at least in MS) is that it is all reactive and never proactive. Even if something is broken or outdated they won't fix it until it becomes a disaster or leads to a disaster.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    What good does that do you when the information is wrong?
    Let's say 1 out of 1000 cases there's an issue with the data. 999 cases are able to be contact traced just fine. 1 you went on a wild goose chase.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Let's say 1 out of 1000 cases there's an issue with the data. 999 cases are able to be contact traced just fine. 1 you went on a wild goose chase.
    I'm clearly not as smart as you, but how can you say one case is messed up? If the article is legit and the positives are right, meaning the wrong person just got the positive, then the ENTIRE line following them would be wrong!!!
    Example number 15 left the line never got tested. He gets a positive when it was actually number 16. So, wouldn't that have an trickle down on the end it's line or did they just get smart and fix it on number 17? Every screw up causes a mess. I'll hang up and listen to how you can trace w that mess!!!

vCash
    And to add to the previous point it most certainly would change the number of positives. So 15 is a positive and 16 isn't. Well when 16 goes back in a week he is. So that's 2 for what was really one. And if the line is jacked up that bad from 15 on it could make a huge difference over time. It's not complicated to see