Page 257 of 274 FirstFirst ... 157207247255256257258259267 ... LastLast
Results 5,121 to 5,140 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    That's the 7 day average.
    I like mask and they help, but we've reached 20% infection rate and I believe that is the most significant driver of cases being down. Same with Florida. Texas is not at 20% yet so I figure they have a little while longer.

MS cases daily 7 day average is down 20% from July 30. 1362 per day average to 1091. That should be the lead story all over the state.

vCash
    The virus is fizzling. Just like every coronavirus in the history of mankind has done. That is not to say it will completely go away, or there won't be one more push come winter (other coronaviruses have had those), but it won't be a significant threat much longer. When the updated 7 day average numbers run tonight, MS will be averaging about 12 cases per county each day. And that number is falling. Cheers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The correct answer is we just have to learn to live with it like the other diseases of the past like Polio, measles, and etc.

Of course that's not "woke" and we should continue to shut our lives down forever.
    Agreed.

vCash
    Not going to name a name but I have a friend in a highly (elected) position in Shelby County (Memphis and surrounding areas). He texted me this morning and said he was "very optimistic" about things as of today.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Not going to name a name but I have a friend in a highly (elected) position in Shelby County (Memphis and surrounding areas). He texted me this morning and said he was "very optimistic" about things as of today.
    In regard to what? The virus or football?

vCash
    Dupe

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well, where I live- bars for one thing. And without question there are limitations on capacity at certain things like restaurants, parties, gatherings, church, and "guidelines" about wearing masks. I can't go to a MLB baseball game right now. And we're having to come up with a completely different football schedule.

But at least I can protest something the media likes.

I can't believe that was a serious question and I really shouldn't have given it a serious answer but since you asked.
    Awwww... poor wittle baby.

vCash
    I get your point, but still bad comparisons. We have eradicated Polio (at least in US). Measles could be eradicated and an effective vaccine is available to almost anyone who wants it. A better comparison is Influenza...vaccine is good but not fully effective. Thus, we have learned to "live with it."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    In regard to what? The virus or football?
    Sorry, the virus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Sorry, the virus.
    What are his political leanings? In other words, is he optimistic because he thinks good news is coming? Or because bad news is coming?*

vCash
    Anybody heard anything on this drug before?

https://www.trialsitenews.com/rlf-10...d-19-patients/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Anybody heard anything on this drug before?

https://www.trialsitenews.com/rlf-10...d-19-patients/
    That's very encouraging. That's the kind of thing we need.

vCash
    Corinth, MS making national news!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mments-wrapper

7 positive cases, 116 quarantined.

Couple questions for those of you that dismiss the virus and/or the impact on kids:
    1) If the 6 that tested positive are asymptomatic - what are the chances that they'll spread that to a family member?
    2) The district has around 2,600 kids and now 5% of them are in quarantine within the first week. What are your thoughts on how this turns out and what would be the tipping point to move to an online learning environment?
    3) Do you think this will impact the local hospital?

I'm using a MS school that is doing what a lot of schools around the country seem to be doing and giving in-person learning a shot and they're trying to weather the new normal. I know there are quite a few on here that believe we need to live like we did prior to the virus (and I understand the thought to a certain degree), but at what point do you shut down the experiment and/or do you continue the entire school year like you started?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Corinth, MS making national news!!!

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...mments-wrapper

7 positive cases, 116 quarantined.

Couple questions for those of you that dismiss the virus and/or the impact on kids:
    1) If the 6 that tested positive are asymptomatic - what are the chances that they'll spread that to a family member?
    Who knows. It appears the likelihood is much less once they get younger than around 12, but there's limited data. Some examples indicating maybe under 12 do spread it (like summer camp and Israel examples) but hard to say because there are adults and older children that could be doing the spreading. For asymptomatic people in general, obviously some don't spread it, but not all of the spread is by ass holes that are going about their normal activities while symptomatic. But regardless, because of the uncertainty, the approach should be the same. If the parents feel like they or other people in their household aren't in a position ot take that risk, they shouldn't send their kids to school. Hopefully the district offers a distance learning option.

2) The district has around 2,600 kids and now 5% of them are in quarantine within the first week. What are your thoughts on how this turns out and what would be the tipping point to move to an online learning environment?
    I think eventually people probably loosen up their quarantine procedures. When people are actually sick, it very likeliy could make sense to send everybody home for a couple of weeks, but not because you are choosing to quarantine people. Maybe we should look into the feasibility of going distance learning for a week or two at a time during flu season going forward, but we just don't have the support systems in place right now and it would be too disruptive.

3) Do you think this will impact the local hospital?
    It will absolutely impact the hospital. You're not going to have people gather like that and there not be some spread. There's a question of how much it will impact the hosptial, but schools are wayyyy down the list of things that should be shut down. You don't shut down schools while allowing dine-in at restaurants for example. If you shut down all the other less essential stuff and can't keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed, then you look at the impact the schools are having.

I'm using a MS school that is doing what a lot of schools around the country seem to be doing and giving in-person learning a shot and they're trying to weather the new normal. I know there are quite a few on here that believe we need to live like we did prior to the virus (and I understand the thought to a certain degree), but at what point do you shut down the experiment and/or do you continue the entire school year like you started?
    Unless we find out that the virus has mutated to where kids are at more risk than they are from the flu, you just chug ahead and do your best to accommodate people for whom that doesn't work. Do your best with virtual learning. Try to utilize any good teachers with risk factors or family with risk factors in the distance learning to keep them. Do your best to limit the spread knowing that there is just a limited amount you can do with students, especially young ones, and try to help employees that can't stomach the risk and that can't be utilized in a role with risks they can stomach to find other jobs. Not sure what else you can do. Pandemics suck and they make people's lives worse, even those who don't get sick. But you have to minimize the damage the best you can.

vCash
    We are averaging 971 cases per day now per worldometers. That's 12 per county per day.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Who knows. It appears the likelihood is much less once they get younger than around 12, but there's limited data. Some examples indicating maybe under 12 do spread it (like summer camp and Israel examples) but hard to say because there are adults and older children that could be doing the spreading. For asymptomatic people in general, obviously some don't spread it, but not all of the spread is by ass holes that are going about their normal activities while symptomatic. But regardless, because of the uncertainty, the approach should be the same. If the parents feel like they or other people in their household aren't in a position ot take that risk, they shouldn't send their kids to school. Hopefully the district offers a distance learning option.

I think eventually people probably loosen up their quarantine procedures. When people are actually sick, it very likeliy could make sense to send everybody home for a couple of weeks, but not because you are choosing to quarantine people. Maybe we should look into the feasibility of going distance learning for a week or two at a time during flu season going forward, but we just don't have the support systems in place right now and it would be too disruptive.

It will absolutely impact the hospital. You're not going to have people gather like that and there not be some spread. There's a question of how much it will impact the hosptial, but schools are wayyyy down the list of things that should be shut down. You don't shut down schools while allowing dine-in at restaurants for example. If you shut down all the other less essential stuff and can't keep the hospitals from being overwhelmed, then you look at the impact the schools are having.

Unless we find out that the virus has mutated to where kids are at more risk than they are from the flu, you just chug ahead and do your best to accommodate people for whom that doesn't work. Do your best with virtual learning. Try to utilize any good teachers with risk factors or family with risk factors in the distance learning to keep them. Do your best to limit the spread knowing that there is just a limited amount you can do with students, especially young ones, and try to help employees that can't stomach the risk and that can't be utilized in a role with risks they can stomach to find other jobs. Not sure what else you can do. Pandemics suck and they make people's lives worse, even those who don't get sick. But you have to minimize the damage the best you can.
    Appreciate the response! Overall, I agree with your points.

I appreciate their willingness to contact trace, but when you quarantine 100+ people due to 7 cases, how feasible is that process? On the flip side, if you don't quarantine - you're giving the virus a means to spread even more rapidly. Catch 22.

As time goes forward, they may be able to narrow down that most cases are a result of high school and can alter those plans. If they see widespread between elementary, middle, and high school - that would make it exponentially more difficult.

vCash
    Do we trust Clay Travis or the Washington Post, or neither?

The Post states that FL closed down testing sites due to the potential hurricane last week...

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) noted a big drop in daily cases, but officials warned a day later that issues with the reporting system were causing an undercount. Florida’s numbers, meanwhile, were disrupted by Hurricane Isaias, which led officials to suspend coronavirus testing at dozens of sites."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

I guess the POTUS was right, if we stop testing - we'll have no cases.

vCash
    Do we trust Clay Travis or the Washington Post, or neither?

The Post states that FL closed down testing sites due to the potential hurricane last week...

"California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) noted a big drop in daily cases, but officials warned a day later that issues with the reporting system were causing an undercount. Florida?s numbers, meanwhile, were disrupted by Hurricane Isaias, which led officials to suspend coronavirus testing at dozens of sites."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

I guess the POTUS was right, if we stop testing - we'll have no cases.
    Not sure what that has to do with positivity rate and deaths, which are the two topics in the tweet.

vCash
    When you are telling people to decide between online education and in class education what you are doing is making people decide between no eduction and getting an education/free meals. Especially in Mississippi. Mississippi is (no surprise) one of the lowest ranked states for access to high speed internet and first in poverty. You can mandate online classes but what you are doing is restricting over 65% of the children in Mississippi from getting an education. You are also keeping about 225,000 children in Mississippi that live below the poverty level from getting an education and meals that they depend on. This falls squarely on the backs of a majority of minority children in this state.

I understand you are scared of the virus but there is much more in play here than fear of a coronavirus.