Page 252 of 274 FirstFirst ... 152202242250251252253254262 ... LastLast
Results 5,021 to 5,040 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Lots of viruses can do that, so it wouldn't be surprising.
    Which ones and do they have a vaccine?

ETA... think back to when this just starting hitting the US. You had to show symptoms to be tested, and the overwhelming majority of tests were negative. Showing symptoms doesn't necessarily mean you didn't get a false positive. I'm sure there were a bunch of false negatives also.
    Last edited by msstate7; 08-01-2020 at 03:14 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Which ones and do they have a vaccine?

ETA... think back to when this just starting hitting the US. You had to show symptoms to be tested, and the overwhelming majority of tests were negative. Showing symptoms doesn't necessarily mean you didn't get a false positive. I'm sure there were a bunch of false negatives also.
    Chicken pox/shingles is one. They have vaccines.
    Herpes is another, does not have vaccines but does have treatments.

All have asymptomatic carriers. All can be treated, but stay in tour body and come back months, or even years later.

I'm sure there are others.

vCash
    Chicken pox/shingles is one.
    I think that I'm Typhoid Mary when it comes to Chicken Pox. I've never had it but 3 different times when I was a kid, the friend that I played with that day, came down with it that night.

vCash
    Chicken pox/shingles is one. They have vaccines.
    Herpes is another, does not have vaccines but does have treatments.

All have asymptomatic carriers. All can be treated, but stay in tour body and come back months, or even years later.

I'm sure there are others.
    Shingles is a form of herpes virus. You are correct that most of the herpes virus types are characterized by that ability to lay dormant. Shingles does have a vaccine as you mentioned. Respiratory viruses including coronavirus strains don't typically behave in that manner, so would be a new thing and I wouldn't suspect that to be the case.

I would compare the probability of a successful vaccine to other coronavirus strains and not the behavior of the virus. I also think if enough research, money and need is there, we will eventually get one that works.

vCash
    [tweet2]1289667334420836352[/tweet2]

Scary. 27-year-old professional athlete developed a heart issue from a mild case.

From ESPN article:

Rodriguez said last Sunday that his doctors told him that 10-20% of people who have had COVID-19 also have been diagnosed with myocarditis.
    Last edited by hacker; 08-01-2020 at 10:57 PM.

vCash
    See that kind of long term stuff worries me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    See that kind of long term stuff worries me.
    Drs have already said he'll be fine and is expected to fully recover.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Drs have already said he'll be fine and is expected to fully recover.
    He will probably do better than most since he's young and otherwise healthy, but they don't know that for certain. Viral myocarditis is no joke and the prognosis is widely variable and extreme.

vCash
    Mycarditis can result from any virus and is actually pretty common in flu and severe cold patients. Most folks recover and never even know they have heart damage. Others struggle for a few months and get better. It can be very dangerous for older patients (70+ yoa) if not treated. Often is a contributing factor to death in older patients who get the flu or severe cold virus.

Not suprising AT ALL that it presents strongly and consistently with a strong virus like SARS-Cov-2.

ETA: This is one thing that worries me about playing football in the fall. If a player gets this infection/damage they will probably recover and never even know. But there is still a chance they have temporary heart damage, get cleared to play, and then go 100% out there leading to a myocardial event. I would be more concerned about THAT than the actual coronavirus.
    Last edited by Dawgology; 08-02-2020 at 09:40 AM.

vCash
    The days of our state being last in everything are over...

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/08/02/harv...nation-covid-/

Yikes

vCash
    The days of our state being last in everything are over...

https://www.wlbt.com/2020/08/02/harv...nation-covid-/

Yikes
    Yeah. And people think we're going to play football.

vCash
    MS 7 day case average is down over 10 percent from last Sunday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Today was a good report. It'll be interesting what we have tomorrow and Tuesday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Numbers vary a lot though. Last weekend, Alabama had just over 1000 new cases since the previous 24 hour report. This weekend (as of Sunday at 1 p.m.) there have been over 2000. Mobile County had over 500 of those, and they have well under 10% of the state population.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    That blows the herd immunity theory straight to hell.
    Yep. Could be a different mutation of the virus.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Yep. Could be a different mutation of the virus.
    Isn't how a vaccine works is by getting enough people with an antibody to achieve herd immunity?

vCash
    Isn't how a vaccine works is by getting enough people with an antibody to achieve herd immunity?
    Yes, but sometimes you can't get full herd immunity if the vaccine isn't effective enough. The MMR vaccine is 97% effective and confers lifelong immunity. The flu vaccine is only 50% or so effective and gives you 6 months before it starts to weaken. So we'll never have full herd immunity to the flu like we can with MMR. But we do have some level of herd immunity to the flu.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    He will probably do better than most since he's young and otherwise healthy, but they don't know that for certain. Viral myocarditis is no joke and the prognosis is widely variable and extreme.
    Well, I watched an interview with him and he said the Drs told him he'd be fine but didn't need to try to play ball. Just telling you what he said.

vCash
    Herd immunity basically depends on "once you get it, you are immune for life". There is absolutely NO reason to believe that happens with this one, NONE.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Herd immunity basically depends on "once you get it, you are immune for life". There is absolutely NO reason to believe that happens with this one, NONE.
    This absolutely is not what herd immunity means.