Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
Zero days. Cause we already know what is going to happen. People will go out and about. They will go to work. At some point, they will contract the virus. A large percentage will not even know they have it. They will continue to infect people over the course of 10-20 days, including old people and immune compromised people. They may or may not ever show symptoms themselves. People they know are going to get sick, some will die. No one will be at fault, and the same time, all of us will be at fault.

That is the worst part of this virus. Its slow development and the unknowing. At least with other viruses you know really quickly within a day or two whether you have it. H1N1 and Ebola both present themselves very quickly and you can trace it. This one you cannot.

So, trust me, I understand the need to get back to work for the overall economy. I get it. As a country we will just have to make a choice. Economy or protecting older folks. It really is that simple.
If you want to open everything back up, you should have been screaming for mass nationwide testing 2 months ago. Or start now, so 2 months from now we can do it much safer.
Those aren't the only two choices. There is a middle way. But everyone has to be radically polarized on their view.

If you are older, in poor health, or immunocompromised then you need to shelter-in-place. If you don't fall into that high risk category then you need to return to daily life with an eye toward being cognizant. Wash your hands. Wear a mask when in crowded spaces. Try to adhere to the 6ft social distancing. Eventually 2/3 of the US population will get it and create herd immunity. This, combined with better treatements and vaccine, will allow those in the high-risk category to return to normal life. Let the "free money" be focused on those in the high risk category. Everyone else can work and right the economy.