Page 217 of 274 FirstFirst ... 117167207215216217218219227267 ... LastLast
Results 4,321 to 4,340 of 5471

Thread: The Covid-19 Info thread (keep politics out please)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You can't be taking this serious if you have a positive outlook. You're gonna kill grandma... or make her really sick... or even if she doesn't get sick, she'll have long term issues.
    And if you do take it seriously, you're a coward living in fear and a communist

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'm out of this thread for good. No one seems to understand what I've tried to bring to this so y'all have at it. I'm gonna live my life y'all go live yours. I pray you all stay safe and healthy. Maybe we can get back to arguing State sports again one day.
    But we've only gone 216 pages. Never pegged you for a quitter.**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    It's not wearing a mask or acknowledging risk that is living in fear. It's refusing to accept that not every bad thing can be avoided and trying to make other people's lives worse rather than accepting that something bad has happened.

A lot of people have died and will die from the Wuhan virus, and keeping kids out of school, or keeping them from playing sports or other social activities, isn't going to change that. It's just going to heap avoidable harm on top of all the unavoidable harm, without much gain unless we get incredibly lucky with a vaccine.

We have already asked young people to bear a pretty significant burden. Some of that was perfectly justified. There were a lot of unknowns and being cautious was the right approach. But we shouldn't ignore that it was a real harm we inflicted on a lot of kids. From being subject to abuse and hunger to the much milder but still real harm of depriving some of them of social activities and sports the spring of their senior year. And we shouldn't sign up to inflict more of that harm without an attainable purpose, and I'm still not hearing what the justification would be. We need to accept that something bad has already happened, and we're can't make it unhappen by putting our fingers in our ears and pitching a fit. At least we are dealing with a pandemic that is relatively mild for the young. Still horrible, but it could be much, much worse.
    I agree with you. As the same time, there are people on this board that are dismissive of the data being shared.

I highly doubt anyone on this thread is being a hermit and not socializing with their friends or neighbors. At the same time, I would hope that they think twice before they head out to participate in a large gathering. It boils down to common sense and I'm afraid that is lacking in our overall population.

I don't think anyone here is not empathetic to the situation and what impact it has had on kids, businesses, family lives, etc. To answer your question on justification, I don't think we'll be shutting things down again like they were earlier this year. I don't think that is a feasible option, nor is it warranted. At the same time, you can't ignore the spikes in cases and think that the virus won't at some point infiltrate your community. My greatest fear is that if it gets a hold of rural communities and spreads (like it did in Albany, GA) - there is going to be some severe heart break because there isn't enough healthcare to manage the volume.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    I agree with you. As the same time, there are people on this board that are dismissive of the data being shared.

I highly doubt anyone on this thread is being a hermit and not socializing with their friends or neighbors. At the same time, I would hope that they think twice before they head out to participate in a large gathering. It boils down to common sense and I'm afraid that is lacking in our overall population.

I don't think anyone here is not empathetic to the situation and what impact it has had on kids, businesses, family lives, etc.
    There absolutely are. You can see some posts that accuse people of wanting to let kids play sports of putting kids lives in danger to be entertained. And others that clearly think kids wanting to do things like rec league or high schools sports, or social activities like school dances, or going on beach vacations are being frivolous. They are so worried about their health and their fear of getting sick that they compare everything in the granular against the thought of they themselves dying, and so they are incapable of looking at the big picture and realizing how little sense their positions make when you aggregate the costs and benefits across the whole population.

To answer your question on justification, I don't think we'll be shutting things down again like they were earlier this year. I don't think that is a feasible option, nor is it warranted. At the same time, you can't ignore the spikes in cases and think that the virus won't at some point infiltrate your community. My greatest fear is that if it gets a hold of rural communities and spreads (like it did in Albany, GA) - there is going to be some severe heart break because there isn't enough healthcare to manage the volume.
    Well, I'm afraid you can go ahead and get ready to see your greatest fear b/c it seems likely it's going to happen in some places. Populated areas can handle a few super spreader events and it may tax the system, but it's still basically just really loud noise. One super spreader event in a very rural area can hit a significant portion of the population by itself. Going to be a lot more volatility in rural communities, with it being easier for them to avoid the virus on a day to day basis, but much easier to hit a big portion of their population when they do have community events.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    My county's health department issued an order that requires masks starting July 10. It is effective till early September. Here's the order if you're interested (though it reads like a legal proclamation, which makes it a bit of a chore to sift through):

http://health.hamiltontn.org/AllServ...9)/Orders.aspx

This comes as a large group of Tennessee's critical care physicians are pushing Governor Lee to issue a statewide mask directive. Here's a video that the group put out:

https://www.facebook.com/20406135672...65492024742150

It's half an hour but is honestly a fairly informative watch. The first 15 minutes or so includes talks from critical care pulmonologists from east, middle, and west Tennessee. (Sidebar: Tennessee's government officially recognizes three "grand divisions" of the state. East -- everything from Chattanooga east -- West -- Memphis to a little past Jackson -- and Middle -- a rough square with Nashville in the center.) The Chattanooga pulmonologist's spiel was particularly interesting, at least to me. (Full disclosure: My father is a physician in Chattanooga and sent me the video. He's worked at the hospital where the Chattanooga pulmonologist practices but is not one of the docs on the call.)

How about where y'all are? Any of your counties/cities/states under mask orders right now?
    Last edited by Prediction? Pain.; 07-07-2020 at 12:20 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post
    My county's health department issued an order that requires masks starting July 10. It is effective till early September. Here's the order if you're interested (though it reads like a legal proclamation, which makes it a bit of a chore to sift through):

http://health.hamiltontn.org/AllServ...9)/Orders.aspx

This comes as a large group of Tennessee's critical care physicians are pushing Governor Lee to issue a statewide mask directive. Here's a video that the group put out:

https://www.facebook.com/20406135672...65492024742150

It's half an hour but is honestly a fairly informative watch. The first 15 minutes or so includes talks from critical care pulmonologists from east, middle, and west Tennessee. (Sidebar: Tennessee's government officially recognizes three "grand divisions" of the state. East -- everything from Chattanooga east -- West -- Memphis to a little past Jackson -- and Middle -- a rough square with Nashville in the center.) The Chattanooga pulmonologist's spiel was particularly interesting, at least to me. (Full disclosure: My father is a physician in Chattanooga and sent me the video. He's worked at the hospital where the Chattanooga pulmonologist practices but is not one of the docs on the call.)

How about where y'all are? Any of your counties/cities/states under mask orders right now?
    We've had a mask order since early June.

It's very loosely enforced. I was in Nola where it wasn't enforced much in late May.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'm out of this thread for good. No one seems to understand what I've tried to bring to this so y'all have at it. I'm gonna live my life y'all go live yours. I pray you all stay safe and healthy. Maybe we can get back to arguing State sports again one day.
    I understand completely what you have been saying. It makes more sense than about 90% of what I read here. I don't participate in this particular discussion but I read the vast majority of it. And you are one of the posters that I like to read opinions from.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Prediction? Pain. View Post

Texas is now under a mandatory mask order for counties with more than 20 Covid cases. Most people in my zip code (DFW) were wearing one anyway. Hard to say what the rest of the state was doing. Probably depends on how dense the population is.
    There's someone in my head but its not me.

vCash
    43 hospital ICUs across 21 counties in Florida at capacity

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...us-cases-surge

vCash
    There absolutely are. You can see some posts that accuse people of wanting to let kids play sports of putting kids lives in danger to be entertained. And others that clearly think kids wanting to do things like rec league or high schools sports, or social activities like school dances, or going on beach vacations are being frivolous. They are so worried about their health and their fear of getting sick that they compare everything in the granular against the thought of they themselves dying, and so they are incapable of looking at the big picture and realizing how little sense their positions make when you aggregate the costs and benefits across the whole population.

Well, I'm afraid you can go ahead and get ready to see your greatest fear b/c it seems likely it's going to happen in some places. Populated areas can handle a few super spreader events and it may tax the system, but it's still basically just really loud noise. One super spreader event in a very rural area can hit a significant portion of the population by itself. Going to be a lot more volatility in rural communities, with it being easier for them to avoid the virus on a day to day basis, but much easier to hit a big portion of their population when they do have community events.
    Appreciate your viewpoint.

Since this is a sports board, I will start there. I think that we are so consumed with sports that we let it overshadow the fact that it is not essential. I'm all for letting professional sports continue as they see fit, but I think you have to tread carefully when talking about high school or college sports. I think if our universities are so dependent on athletic revenue to balance their operating budgets - then something has gone amiss and this situation has brought to light the imbalance of what an institution of higher learning should be about. It isn't about "fear mongering" or "not seeing the bigger picture" - it is more about whether an activity is essential enough to waive the risks. If the general population feels like that sports at lower levels are essential enough to deal with kids potentially getting sick, then go for it. If a majority think the risks don't warrant cancelling, then have at it. You're going to have detractors and views for both sides. I don't know which side is correct, but I do know sports are entertainment.

To the same point, what are the largest events that typically happen in a rural area in the fall? Don't football games bring people together to sit in stands and root for their team? If you have an asymptomatic spreader that doesn't believe in the data and chooses to forgo a mask, wouldn't a football game where a majority of the community will attend provide an event for it to spread? Just a thought.

Full disclosure - my kid is prepping to play football this fall and is currently playing a league sport right now. My wife and I have discussed the situation and made the decision that we are going to continue our lives as best we can through this pandemic, while also being aware and doing our best to protect those around us by wearing masks. The virus isn't prevalent to a large degree in our current community, so no need to hunker down and be recluses.

vCash
    Hearing 900+ cases and 40+ deaths reported today. Not on website yet.

Archimedes
    vCash
    956 and 44 new deaths today in MS

vCash
    Arizona also had 117 deaths reported today.

That said, let's see how the rest of the week plays out. There was likely a backlog due to the holiday weekend. Don't read too much into today's numbers.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    956 and 44 new deaths today in MS
    Last 3 day total was 11, so 55 over 4 days (~14/day). That's where we've been a while now, unfortunately

vCash
    My wife’s hospital is overwhelmed with Covid patients now. She texted me today that she was in Covid-Ville, where ALL lives matter.

vCash
    Appreciate your viewpoint.

Since this is a sports board, I will start there. I think that we are so consumed with sports that we let it overshadow the fact that it is not essential. I'm all for letting professional sports continue as they see fit, but I think you have to tread carefully when talking about high school or college sports. I think if our universities are so dependent on athletic revenue to balance their operating budgets - then something has gone amiss and this situation has brought to light the imbalance of what an institution of higher learning should be about. It isn't about "fear mongering" or "not seeing the bigger picture" - it is more about whether an activity is essential enough to waive the risks. If the general population feels like that sports at lower levels are essential enough to deal with kids potentially getting sick, then go for it. If a majority think the risks don't warrant cancelling, then have at it. You're going to have detractors and views for both sides. I don't know which side is correct, but I do know sports are entertainment.
    Not to pick on you or be argumentative, but I would say this entire paragraph is an example of not seeing the bigger picture. We don't normally require that things be essential in order to allow them to go forward even with risk. Phrase like "whether an activity is essential enough to waive the risks" to me indicates somebody whose risk meter is all out of whack. The first question should be from the kids interest. I.e., how much additional risk is a child exposed to from (for example) playing football. ANd the answer is, not much. If they aren't playing football, they will very likely be socializing in similar sized groups and possibly going to school in similar sized groups. Even if they don't do that, many of them will be working in jobs like retail that expose them to a good number of people. And of course, most importantly, for most of them, it's not a particularly serious threat as far as we know. If you ask most kids, "Would you give up high school sports and other group activities for two years of your high school and otherwise drastically reduce the number of people you interact with socially for two years, in order to cut your risk of catching COVID in half (which I'm not sure we can do), which means your risk of death from COVID would drop from something like 0.01% of dying of COVID to 0.005%, and also cut your risk from some as of yet unknown side effects by half, I think most teenagers would say "are you 17ing kidding me?", and I don't think they would answer that way b/c they are bad at assessing risk (although granted most teenagers are).

The interests of the kids are certainly not the only question. But the way this thing is talked about you would think their happiness/satisfaction counts about as much as the happiness/satisfaction of people's pet fish. Just because things are not biologically or economically necessary doesn't mean they have zero value.

Again, not meaning to direct this necessarily at you. Some may apply, some may not, but in general, people seem to be being obtuse ass holes about this. If teenagers were going around saying things like, "so you lose your business that you spent the last five years of your life on. Just go get a job like the vast majority of other people. Five years of your life is a small price to pay", people would rightfully look at those teenagers as ass holes, or I guess more accurately, as lacking perspective because they are teenagers.

But I don't know what the excuse is for adults who act like just taking away in person school, extra curricular activities, social events, etc. from high schoolers for a couple of years is no big deal. It's a big deal. There's more to life than biological and work necessities and lots of things that aren't those things are important.

To the same point, what are the largest events that typically happen in a rural area in the fall? Don't football games bring people together to sit in stands and root for their team? If you have an asymptomatic spreader that doesn't believe in the data and chooses to forgo a mask, wouldn't a football game where a majority of the community will attend provide an event for it to spread? Just a thought.

Full disclosure - my kid is prepping to play football this fall and is currently playing a league sport right now. My wife and I have discussed the situation and made the decision that we are going to continue our lives as best we can through this pandemic, while also being aware and doing our best to protect those around us by wearing masks. The virus isn't prevalent to a large degree in our current community, so no need to hunker down and be recluses.

vCash
    Not to pick on you or be argumentative, but I would say this entire paragraph is an example of not seeing the bigger picture. We don't normally require that things be essential in order to allow them to go forward even with risk. Phrase like "whether an activity is essential enough to waive the risks" to me indicates somebody whose risk meter is all out of whack. The first question should be from the kids interest. I.e., how much additional risk is a child exposed to from (for example) playing football. ANd the answer is, not much. If they aren't playing football, they will very likely be socializing in similar sized groups and possibly going to school in similar sized groups. Even if they don't do that, many of them will be working in jobs like retail that expose them to a good number of people. And of course, most importantly, for most of them, it's not a particularly serious threat as far as we know. If you ask most kids, "Would you give up high school sports and other group activities for two years of your high school and otherwise drastically reduce the number of people you interact with socially for two years, in order to cut your risk of catching COVID in half (which I'm not sure we can do), which means your risk of death from COVID would drop from something like 0.01% of dying of COVID to 0.005%, and also cut your risk from some as of yet unknown side effects by half, I think most teenagers would say "are you 17ing kidding me?", and I don't think they would answer that way b/c they are bad at assessing risk (although granted most teenagers are).
    I don't take this personal and enjoy the dialogue. My take is until a kid turns 18, it's up to the parents since they are considered a minor. You can't vote or enlist in the military without parental permission until you're 18, yet we want to give them the ability to make these decisions. Hell, at that age I thought I was invincible. All the examples you provide should be done with parental input.

You can't do anything sports related these days without signing COVID waivers. Why is that? It's to protect the entity sanctioning those events. I think my view is pretty global regarding this. With all due respect, this topic appears to be hitting home for you for whatever reason (but I could be completely off base). Irregardless, having different opinions isn't always a negative.
    Last edited by Gutter Cobreh; 07-07-2020 at 06:37 PM.

vCash
    Mississippi re-imposed restrictions on elective surgery in Hinds, Madison, Rankin, Forrest, Jones, and Washington counties this afternoon. More counties are rumored to be coming. This is getting very, very serious and it's doing it very fast.

vCash
    Last edited by hacker; 07-07-2020 at 08:46 PM.